• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Laurier and Teddy must have been friends.

Like Trudeau and Trump.

Canada will be able to field the most Giant Death Robots, so far. And have the best chance at a Diplomatic Victory. So they are a very late game civ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not be surprised if Laurier's trade delegation gift contains poutine, despite the dish originating a few decades after Laurier's death.
Poutine is the Canadian equivalent of a gross, greasy Big Mac, and I wouldn't expect Laurier to offer it in his trade delegation. It's a rather low-brow recipe. But a bottle of maple syrup with a plate of pâté chinois is believable.

It's completely coincidental that pâté chinois is my favourite home cooked meal. :mischief:

Poutine is the Canadian equivalent of a gross, greasy Big Mac, and I wouldn't expect Laurier to offer it in his trade delegation. It's a rather low-brow recipe. But a bottle of maple syrup with a plate of pâté chinois is believable.

It's completely coincidental that pâté chinois is my favourite home cooked meal. :mischief:

They gave us hockey rinks and mounties. There's no way they've done any actual research on the trade delegation. Possibly not even enough to know that poutine is a thing.

I think it's safe to assume that if it didn't appear on Bob & Doug McKenzie, it's not making it into Civ's version of Canada. On that basis my guess is Laurier offers maple syrup and back bacon, with a 10% chance he throws donuts into the mix.

They gave us hockey rinks and mounties. There's no way they've done any actual research on the trade delegation. Possibly not even enough to know that poutine is a thing.

I think it's safe to assume that if it didn't appear on Bob & Doug McKenzie, it's not making it into Civ's version of Canada. On that basis my guess is Laurier offers maple syrup and back bacon, with a 10% chance he throws donuts into the mix.
I'd be his friend if he gave syrup and bacon. I'd throw the donuts back at him though as I don't like them.

By the way did we ever figure out what his agenda his?

Maybe a Tim Hortons reference. We've got a Tim Hortons in Cardiff now and I only knew of them through gaming but I was able to pass myself off as a Canadian culture expert :D

A common depression era French Canadian staple was Chicken and sliders
I didn't realize French Canada and the American South had so much in common (outside Louisiana, I mean).

I think you're being way too cynical, here. :p I'm almost certain this stereotypical design for Canada wasn't due to lack of research, as taking one look at any of the other civs show. Rather, it's Firaxis appealing to the masses. We here make up a small minority of the consumer base, and we all know that if Firaxis had taken our suggestions in designing Canada there would be an endless stream of "??? where is hockey rinks?? mounties???" on YT and Twitter. Checking out those comments shows that they clearly made the right call.

That being said, I don't see trade delegations as falling into the same category as UUs and UIs, and I doubt they'd have Laurier offer something as ridiculous as poutine. It'd be like Roosevelt offering you french fries and a burger, or Victoria giving you fish and chips.

Anyone think that maybe the reason why they didn't show tundra farms in the live stream is because they are reworking how that works? Maybe they read some of our complaints, and are working on buffing tundra farms somehow.

Anyone think that maybe the reason why they didn't show tundra farms in the live stream is because they are reworking how that works? Maybe they read some of our complaints, and are working on buffing tundra farms somehow.
It would be good if tundra tiles within Canadian territory also has one culture, just like faith on Russian tundra tiles.

I didn't realize French Canada and the American South had so much in common (outside Louisiana, I mean).

I don't know how similar southern cuisine is to French Canadian cuisine, but here is a recipe for the French Canadian version of chicken and sliders, which originated during the depression. Its also possible, that Chicken and Sliders was mostly a French-Canadian American thing, as most of the recipes tend to be from French Canadians who lived in America during the depression.

3 pounds whole chicken
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • 3 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 egg
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • Add all ingredients to list

I'd be his friend if he gave syrup and bacon. I'd throw the donuts back at him though as I don't like them.

By the way did we ever figure out what his agenda his?

He likes Civs that take part in Emergencies and hates those that don't.

I'm gonna love enraging him as I ignore those pointless emergencies.

He likes Civs that take part in Emergencies and hates those that don't.

I'm gonna love enraging him as I ignore those pointless emergencies.
Well that makes sense. Since world games are considered an "emergency" they'll need someone to compete against in hockey to win...oh wait. :mischief:
At least it's not disliking Civs who don't settle in tundra. :rolleyes:

Well that makes sense. Since world games are considered an "emergency" they'll need someone to compete against in hockey to win...oh wait. :mischief:
At least it's not disliking Civs who don't settle in tundra. :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot the World Fairs and World Games are counted as emergencies. Maybe he won't hate me as much then?
They better get rid of the siren noise for those though.

Oh, I forgot the World Fairs and World Games are counted as emergencies. Maybe he won't hate me as much then?
They better get rid of the siren noise for those though.

Don't forget about the disaster emergency for sending aid.

It would be good if tundra tiles within Canadian territory also has one culture, just like faith on Russian tundra tiles.

I think that could be too strong. I suggested +1 food from tundra tiles within Canadian territory in another thread. I am not sure which is better but I do agree that the tundra farm but Canadian tundra bonuses need to be buffed.

I think that could be too strong. I suggested +1 food from tundra tiles within Canadian territory in another thread. I am not sure which is better but I do agree that the tundra farm but Canadian tundra bonuses need to be buffed.

Agree that +1 culture seems too strong. I think +1 food or gold would be fine. Another idea I thought of would be to make it so any improvements built on Canadian tundra do not cost a builder charge. This gives them an indirect early game production boost and seems to align with the flavor of rapid expansion in the tundra.

I don't think +1 culture would really be too strong. Tundra tiles are already worse than regular ones, so you only get the culture if you work the tile. Would be a nice little bonus that helps make you actually want to work tundra tiles sometimes.

Well to be fair, the second I cross over into Canada they start shoving Timmy Hos on me. And you know, I'm a sucker for coffee. Good coffee, bad coffee, whatever. So if your delegations offer me coffee I'm in.

Well to be fair, the second I cross over into Canada they start shoving Timmy Hos on me. And you know, I'm a sucker for coffee. Good coffee, bad coffee, whatever. So if your delegations offer me coffee I'm in.

Tim Horton's is an excellent place to go to, but they only have a limited number of locations in the USA, and are not of the same quality as the Canadian ones. I have not been to a Canadian Tim Horton's since Burger King took over, but the quality was good the last time I was in Canada.

They finally opened a couple locations in my state, but they are not on the same level of quality as the Canadian ones I have eaten at. The Canadian Tim Horton's had actual trays, bowls, silverware, etc, while the new locations that opened up in my state, just use regular fast food type plastic utensils and containers.

The Donuts and Wild Rice Soup are excellent, and I hear the coffee is also good, but I am not a coffee drinker, so I have not tried it.

One thing I did notice, was that Canadian towns have a Tim Horton's seemingly everywhere, the way American towns have McDonald's everywhere. If Given a choice, I might be tempted to say Tim Horton's is better than the Golden Arches, but I would have to sample a Canadian Tim Horton's to see if the new owners (Burger King) have maintained the same level of service and quality.

Last edited:
If you like bad coffee, have you tried your friendly neighborhood Charbucks? :mischief: Will someone kindly explain to them that the process of roasting coffee beans is ever so slightly different from the process of making charcoal? Someone needs to start a chain that makes tolerable coffee. I brew my own normally, but that's kind of a lot of work when traveling.

Wild Rice Soup
That actually sounds good.

I hear the coffee is also good, but I am not a coffee drinker
I'm a complete coffee snob, so next time I'm in Canada I'll let you know. :p

Top Bottom