Well “probably not much” does include “significantly worse”.

i doubt rebel media is significantly worse than canadian government funded media there. state's effort to suppress them is interesting, because if they're not doing crimes it implies some unfortunate things for state.

It’s a rag like the National Enquirer or w/e.

to be fair i consider those better/less dangerous than state-funded/pocketed news. they're not given credibility beyond what they deserve to the extent of the latter. at least, not by the broader public.

to be fair i consider those better/less dangerous than state-funded/pocketed news. they're not given credibility beyond what they deserve to the extent of the latter. at least, not by the broader public.

Ah, so then since we’re talking about Rebel News, you bringing up state-funded outlets is just whataboutism.

Ah, so then since we’re talking about Rebel News, you bringing up state-funded outlets is just whataboutism.
does Canada have state funded media/news outlets like RT or China daily?

We have had government-funded media since 1936: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation

It operates as a crown corporation.

"The 1991 Broadcasting Act states that:

...the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains;

...the programming provided by the Corporation should:

be predominantly and distinctively Canadian,
reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,
be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,
strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,
contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and
reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada."

just seemed odd to call one out rather than saying how they're bad generally or something.

analogy would be me laying heavy criticism on just taco bell for their practices as a fast food chain, but no complaints specific to them.

just seemed odd to call one out rather than saying how they're bad generally or something.

analogy would be me laying heavy criticism on just taco bell for their practices as a fast food chain, but no complaints specific to them.

Eh, no, analogy would be someone being like "boiled tacos are a major problem" and someone else being like "I've almost never seen boiled tacos other than at Taco Bell" and then you come in and are like "Taco Bell is better than state-funded taco joints".

Eh, no, analogy would be someone being like "boiled tacos are a major problem" and someone else being like "I've almost never seen boiled tacos other than at Taco Bell" and then you come in and are like "Taco Bell is better than state-funded taco joints".

if state funded taco joints in this example also boil tacos, but lie about it, then sure.

i doubt rebel media is significantly worse than canadian government funded media there. state's effort to suppress them is interesting, because if they're not doing crimes it implies some unfortunate things for state.
So you make this claim based on what, exactly?

We have had government-funded media since 1936: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation

It operates as a crown corporation.

"The 1991 Broadcasting Act states that:

...the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains;

...the programming provided by the Corporation should:

be predominantly and distinctively Canadian,
reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,
be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,
strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,
contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and
reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada."
The CBC has been a staple news and entertainment source in my household ever since I was old enough to watch TV (mind you, I wasn't watching it for news before going to school; they did have excellent children's shows of the non-Sesame Street variety, and our version of SS included French content). My grandfather always listened to Cross-Country Checkup on the radio every Sunday (the show's still going, though I don't listen to it anymore). That was a weekly family thing, and the only time I was ever allowed to touch his radio, to turn it on.

I'm less pleased with it in recent years, though, for various reasons. It has its positives and negatives, and I'd like to think that I helped get one of their writers fired via scathing written complaints because of her idiotic attempts at writing serious astronomy articles (ironically her last name was Sagan and it was a great relief to find out that she's not related to Carl). If you're going to write science articles, you need some kind of background in science, and she had none (imagine someone with zero science credentials attempting to explain the Goldilocks zone and rambling on about the Three Bears and getting half the story wrong, as well as the science). The person they have now is much better.

As for the language requirements... I daresay that will probably be expanded at some point to include more indigenous languages. They already have an indigenous-language component of the Remembrance Day ceremonies on Parliament Hill, when it used to be only English and French. I've also heard the Act of Remembrance done in Inuktitut and Cree in recent years (the latter was performed by a Cree woman, and the comment section became a quagmire of complaints and some incredibly disgusting misogynist comments that added up to "HOW DARE SHE!" It was hard to tell if the "men" posting were more enraged that it was a woman who had participated at all, or that a woman had spoken Cree).

As far as indigenous languages added as additional CBC required language, I suspect it might actually NOT happen - but not out of any rejection of funding Indigenous culture. Rather, because I have a feeling that it already exists in a different form via the also federally funded APTN (Aboriginal People Television Network).

I would guess an expansion of APTN funding would probably be easier politically (because it's not money to the CBC, the Conservative Party's favorite electoral pinata) AND prefered by the beneficiaries (because it's their own network centering them, not a network centering the colonial state of Canada). Kind of a win-win here. Also, APTN probably has a market outside Canada (it's apparently in demand among US native communities) which an Indigenous channel with Canada in the name may not.

Not much point in creating a new indigenous branch of CBC when the indigenous counterpart already exists in all but name.

As far as indigenous languages added as additional CBC required language, I suspect it might actually NOT happen - but not out of any rejection of funding Indigenous culture. Rather, because I have a feeling that it already exists in a different form via the also federally funded APTN (Aboriginal People Television Network).

I would guess an expansion of APTN funding would probably be easier politically (because it's not money to the CBC, the Conservative Party's favorite electoral pinata) AND prefered by the beneficiaries (because it's their own network centering them, not a network centering the colonial state of Canada). Kind of a win-win here. Also, APTN probably has a market outside Canada (it's apparently in demand among US native communities) which an Indigenous channel with Canada in the name may not.

Not much point in creating a new indigenous branch of CBC when the indigenous counterpart already exists in all but name.
APTN is part of the "essentials" cable package I have. One of the shows it's carried at times has been Adventures in Rainbow Country (one of the main characters is Ojibway) and another is The Beachcombers (sadly not the earliest seasons which were the best ones, but oh well...).

I'm basically musing about this, due to the recent changes in the Remembrance Day ceremonies and the fact that nobody in the federal Liberals seems to care that we now have a GG who can't speak French. Yes, I know she's bilingual, but I don't think there's a lot of call for Inuktitut at most international diplomatic events.

I'm not sure there's that much call for French to be homest, lol. Then again, chief of states needing translators would not be new,

I'm kinda okay with a GG who speak only an indigenous language and one official language, so long as we're willing to accept *either* official language as the one the GG knows (ie, I'm fine with a GG who speaks only English and Inuktitut if we agree that one who speak only Innu and French would also be a valid GG.)

This is an issue I am really torn on. Therefore I do not have an answer, but I will add my thoughts:
  • Why is Canada Euthanizing the Poor?
    • It appears they are not, or at least dis-proportionally not:
      • People who received medical assistance in dying (MAiD) in Ontario in its first few years were not the poor and vulnerable.
        In fact, they were more likely to be in the highest income bracket and less likely to be among the poorest, according to a study led by an Ottawa researcher that tapped into the records of almost 190,000 deaths, comparing Ontario MAiD deaths to all deaths in the province.
        Those who received MAiD were more likely to be married and less likely to be widowed. About 85 per cent lived in private homes before they died.
        Three-quarters of MAiD recipients were under the care of palliative care practitioners when they requested MAiD, according to the study published Wednesday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. There was nothing in the data that suggested people from vulnerable groups, such as the poor or geographically isolated, were pressured into MAiD.
  • In the UK we do it really badly
    • We have very strict laws on assisted suicide. We recently arrested two women who helped an assisted dying campaigner get to Switzerland for the procedure. What this means in practice is that many people die in painful unpleasant ways because it is considered less cruel than keeping them alive. This frequently means not treating bacterial infections with antibiotics, meaning a death by frequently pneumonia or UTI's which are very painful. It believe it sometimes ends up being dying of thirst (providing water is treatment, withholding treatment is legal), which seems terrible to me.
  • I do not see why self applied medication for the purpose is not sufficient in this day and age
    • You can get anything on the internet at the click of a button. It seems to me that this should solve the problem, but I really do not know.

Last edited:
Five of the six Australian states have now passed assisted dying laws.

Screenshot_2022_0517_021837.jpg

But where I live, the federal government 25 years ago legislatively prohibited our democratically elected government from even debating the matter, and has so far refused to reverse this ridiculous state of affairs.

Is it? Social workers and government employees recommend it, sorry, "urge you to consider" it now.
whoa do they really??

This is an issue I am really torn on. Therefore I do not have an answer, but I will add my thoughts:
  • Why is Canada Euthanizing the Poor?
    • It appears they are not, or at least dis-proportionally not:
      • People who received medical assistance in dying (MAiD) in Ontario in its first few years were not the poor and vulnerable.
        In fact, they were more likely to be in the highest income bracket and less likely to be among the poorest, according to a study led by an Ottawa researcher that tapped into the records of almost 190,000 deaths, comparing Ontario MAiD deaths to all deaths in the province.
        Those who received MAiD were more likely to be married and less likely to be widowed. About 85 per cent lived in private homes before they died.
        Three-quarters of MAiD recipients were under the care of palliative care practitioners when they requested MAiD, according to the study published Wednesday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. There was nothing in the data that suggested people from vulnerable groups, such as the poor or geographically isolated, were pressured into MAiD.
The data from this study is outdated and from over a year before the revision to eligibility.

Top Bottom