Canada

weasel77066 said:
Not another thread like this... (sigh)
I could tear this one up easy, but it would stir up too much emotion.
Well, canada doesnt fit well into the parameters of civ4 because you cant be both "mercantilism and environmentalism' at the same time.
Thats about it except for the lumber issue. How many millions (and millions) of board feet do you have stacked up just sitting there with no place to go? How many people in that industry are laid off right now???? You know what Im talking about.
Home sales are at an all time high right now in the US, and we arent getting the lumber from you.
Have fun... back to civ

Ok so your talking bad about our country because yours screwed us over and owes us billions of dollars which is what the whole soft wood lumber dispute is about. and it doesnt surprise me that they pull this on Canada just like they do to every other country out there.

weasel77066 said:
Well, canada doesnt fit well into the parameters of civ4 because you cant be both "mercantilism and environmentalism' at the same time.
Thats about it except for the lumber issue. How many millions (and millions) of board feet do you have stacked up just sitting there with no place to go? How many people in that industry are laid off right now???? You know what Im talking about.
Home sales are at an all time high right now in the US, and we arent getting the lumber from you.
Have fun... back to civ

That is becuase of your tariffs, watch the news. Canada would be free trade, ever hear of NAFTA?

If you included Canada, then you would have to include a whole host of other countries. Poland, South Africa, Indonesia, Brasil, Argentina, Switzerland but most importantly Australia :) . These are just the countries that have never been in ANY CIV game before. Obviously the Netherlands, Portugal, Turkey would be chosen before any of these. Not to mention the whole host of ancient civilizations that deserve to be in the game before Canada (Carthage, Byzantium etc)

This is not a rip on Canada, but we would need to get a fair way into the expansion packs before Canada was included. (Think 'The Sims' style - "CIV 4- Modern Day")

Carthage yes but Byzantium aka the ****ty half of rome is already in enough. Just because Carthage is old doesn't mean it is better. Austrailia Poland and all those others deserve just as much as Canada, the United States or even France does.

Carthage aka the empire that nearly destroyed the roman empire, aka the empire that included all of north africa, spain, Sardinia, Sicilia. Not to mention they had the worlds most powerfull military and one of the most renowned generals (Hannibal), and had a comprehensive trading empire which reached from sweden to west africa to asia.. Carthage deserves to be in the game more than many existing civilizations.

I have gone way off topic. Unless Fireaxis releases a modern nations expansion pack, we will not see Canada in the game.

weasel77066 said:
Have fun... back to civ

Like others have said, its because America put tariffs on our wood (saying that its not as good as "American" wood), and now they owe us 5billion I believe, but they wont even tho NAFTA told them too, its ridiculous.

The only reason you haven't heard about them is because Canada doesn't control as much Media as the US does.

?? Why would Caesar and Towunga get lots of time in U.S. media? Unless you elaborate, I'm going to have to write this off as an ignorant comment.

Napoleaon was a megalomanicale failure

I wouldn't neccessarily say that. The man certainly was a genius. It's not neccesarily how well he did (Although he did very well) but the incredible gaisn he made when so many were allied against him. He's notable because of his great successes against such overwhleming odds.

, Just because Cesar was more famous doesn't make him better. Ask yourself this, ever Hear of Mansa Musa, Huyana Capac, Asoka, Hatshepsut, Qin Shi Huang, and Cyrus before Civ 4?

Actually, I had. However, I see your point. Having lived in America all my life, I'm sad to say that the majority of other young people are incredibly ignorant.

Poland does deserve to be included in Civilization. Not because of its present glory (45 years of Moscow's rule by proxy ravaged the country) but Poland is an ancient nation with a very long (> 1000 years) history and a lot of achievement esp with respect to establishing liberal democracy (yup you read that right!).

Poland was formed as a country during the great migration which followed the collapse of the Roman empire.

Poland as a country predates Russia (principality of Muscovia and various fiefdoms with no real governance), Germany (which at the time mostly consisted of barbarians that lived off looting Polish cities) and number of other presently influential countries.

Poland achieved its peak of influence during 16th century when it was more powerful than the majority of the present EU countries combined. It controlled a lot of territory to the east of its borders and kept the Prussian/Germanic barbarians at bay.

Poland had one of the most liberal societies in Europe at the time. Do you ever wonder why in 1939 90% of Jews were resident in Poland? Because they ran away from persecution in other European countries, that's why.

Don't dis Poland. It's a place with a great social, cultural and military tradition even if things aren't that rosy over there now.

ricardojahns said:
Canada will never make it into the Civilization series because...

Canada is the country of the future! It's that easy.

That easy. Unless, of course, Quebec seperates and the whole confederation crumbles into nothing (a viable outcome in the next 10 years).

Heck.....Basque has done more than Poland has lol, most people wont even know what Basque is, they'll have to search it on google or ask.com

Quebec wont seperate in the near future, too many English and immigrants who want to stay with Canada.

ehBeaver said:
Heck.....Basque has done more than Poland has lol, most people wont even know what Basque is, they'll have to search it on google or ask.com

If you're talking about the Basque's land then it's included in Civ IV. It's spells "Spain" in English. :)

just a joke. no offense to any Basque people around here.

No, im not saying they should be in, considering the country dosnt exist anymore, only the spirit and the so called "terrorist" group still live. But Spain has nothing to do with Basque, its just that it took over it.

I am Canadian, but Basque heritage.

OK then. Since you won't let go... Name one "Great Man" from Basque please... you know someone of a calbre of Copernicus or Maria Sklodowska-Curie, since you rank Poland so low let's run with that theme.

ehBeaver said:
Quebec wont seperate in the near future, too many English and immigrants who want to stay with Canada.

The 1995 referndum was defeated by one percentage point. There hasn't been high enough immigration to have any effect on that vote. With the current seperatist zeal the outcome of a future referndum is impossible to predict.

Not to incite any Francophone/Anglophone hatred, but the truth is that if Quebec was separate then Newfoundland wouldn't be in the doldrums it's in now as its oil revenue wouldn't be constantly siphoned to that "great cultural pearl" and an economic trainwreck that we know as Quebec.

The amounts of money that Ottawa steals from other provinces to bribe Quebec into staying in the Federation is ungodly and many of us have to start asking if the status quo is worth the sticker price.

SmartMuffin said:
Eh, but how many non-Canadians have even heard of any of those people.

Honestly, those might be the most deserving Canadians (what do I know, I'm American...) but that doesn't put them on par with names like Napoleon, Julius Caesar, or even Ieayasu Tokugawa.

I don't consider myself the typical "ignorant American." I have a couple Canadian friends, I like to keep myself informed of world events, and I'm somewhat of a history buff (somewhat). But out of your list, the only name I even recognize is Trudeau.

... he's the guy who writes Doonesbury, right? :D

Hang on - you put Roosevelt on the same level as Cesear and Napoleon? Don't think so - I'm not saying that Canada deserves to be in Civ (it doesn't if you base it on historical importance), but by that logic, neither does the US. The US is in there (surprise, surprise) because that's the biggest market they are selling the games to - and goodness knows the average American (like any other nationality) is much more likely to buy the game if their country is in it :)

BTW - I'd never put Mulroney on that list.

Oh - and just because an INDIVIDUAL hasn't heard of these people, doesn't make them not important...heck, you haven't heard of Pearson?? He started the UN and won the Nobel Peace Prize...what would the guy have to do to get recognized??

grzelakc said:
OK then. Since you won't let go... Name one "Great Man" from Basque please... you know someone of a calbre of Copernicus or Maria Sklodowska-Curie, since you rank Poland so low let's run with that theme.

"Since I wont let go".... ok... I really don't care, lets just end it here.

weasel77066 said:
Have fun... back to civ

Yeah - all because your government chooses to ignore yet another international deal (NAFTA) and numerous decisions by the world court. But hey - if you are the most powerful nation, you can do that, right? Of course, that's likely to change at some point, and then what? Is it any wonder on the world scene, the US has so few "friends" and lots of "be nice to the US cause they can help us out for now"

And actually, we don't have that much stored up any more - we gave tons of it to New Orleans to help rebuild. Imagine that - your government screws us over softwood lumber, and we have the gall to turn around and just give it to the needy poor people that YOUR government can't (won't?_ seem to help.

Damn peaceful/helpful Canadians..

I'm sorry, ehBeaver. I did come off sounding like an a**hole, but I get sick of people constantly putting down Poland or cracking idiotic jokes about Poles. And for the record, I am Polish of course and feeling quite defensive about it as the country is still struggling and a lot of its citizens still have it really tough (economically speaking).

Top Bottom