• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

To Orleans
From Paris

We have been asked to make it quite clear to you, if it isn't already, that if you don't make peace with Burgundy you are automatically and incontrovertibly at war with us. We urge you to get a move on and make peace so we can send instructions to our generals one way or the other. Bear in mind that we (unlike you) have enough money in the kitty to face you with a superior army organisation to anything yet fielded in this war so far.

From the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
To All of those in the French Conflict

Although currently we are neutral, His Majesty the King, and Parliament are quite concerned about the lack of response from Burgundy about the guarantee of borders. We will guarantee the independence of not only Orleans, but Normandy as well.

If peace is not reached by December 31st, 1837, we will begin taking appropriate actions to ensure that a peace is reached between the belligerents.

To Paris

We highly recommend that you stay out of the conflict and remain neutral. There is no need to add to the casualties. Orleans has agreed to a peace, though Burgundy still remains silent

To Burgundy

The reason you went to war was because Orleans had begun border fortifications. They have agreed to a peace that would end this border fortification. Yet you remain silent. Please, let your intentions be known so that a peace can be reached.

From the United Kingdom
To Brandenburg, the World

His Majesty the King is quite happy about the coming union between the United Kingdom and Brandenburg, and is eagerly awaiting his marriage to Princess Adelaide

To: Denmark

We are currently looking at expanding our trading opportunities. Would you be willing to give us unlimited access to the mouth of the Elbe so we may expand trade from our port in Hamburg?

To: The Netherlands; Sweden

Would you be interested in increasing trade with us?

To: Sweden

We request unlimited access to the port in Stettin.

To: The Warring French States
CC: Austria; United Kingdom

Although we have signed a treaty of non-aggression with the Kingdom of Burgundy, we wish to see a peaceful resolution brought to the conflict quickly, and will support our British allies if we so deem necessary.

OOC:
Europe today is a powder keg and the leaders are like men smoking in an arsenal…A single spark will set off an explosion that will consume us all…I cannot tell you when that explosion will occur, but I can tell you where…Some damned foolish thing in Balkans France will set it off.
:rolleyes:

To: French States
CC: Brandenburg, UK, etc

We do not support any side, rather we support status quo, antebellum between all the warring powers

To: The World
CC: Invitees

We are proud to announce the nations that we formally request be represented on behalf of Brandenburg at the royal wedding due to take place on June 4th, 1837. The following nations have been selected with the consent of the grooms family, and their invitations will be sent out soon.

The nations we request to be represented on behalf of Brandenburg are: Hungary, Sweden, Bavaria, Poland, Novgorod, Burgundy, Byzantium, Dauphine, and Denmark. We request that these nations please RSVP, to ensure the process goes smoothly.

Charles II, King of Brandenburg

To Paris

We highly recommend that you stay out of the conflict and remain neutral. There is no need to add to the casualties. Orleans has agreed to a peace, though Burgundy still remains silent

Fiat iustitia ruat caelum.

My Declaration of War said:
1) Declaring war on my friend, ally, and religious brother the Kingdom of Orleans based on a sleazy and unacceptable causus belli.
2) Prosecuting the war beyond its original aims of destroying the "threatening border forts" to the defeat and prostration of the entire Kingdom and Land of Orleans.
3) Refusing to accept the honest mediation of the Republic of Netherlands and the willingness of the Kingdom of Orleans to end this war in terms to their favor and which satisfies their war aims.
The Kingdom of Normandy cannot stand silent after refusing a honest and just peace which would have alligned with their stated causus belli; Burgundy's silence has revealed their true aim of dominating central France! I refuse to accept this attempt to aggrandize power at the cost of those of my allies in King Phillipe II of Orleans and King Henri IV of Poitou. My goal is to defeat Burgundy's aggressive motives and return Central France back to the general Status Quo.
To Orleans
From Paris

We have been asked to make it quite clear to you, if it isn't already, that if you don't make peace with Burgundy you are automatically and incontrovertibly at war with us. We urge you to get a move on and make peace so we can send instructions to our generals one way or the other. Bear in mind that we (unlike you) have enough money in the kitty to face you with a superior army organisation to anything yet fielded in this war so far.

To: French States
CC: Brandenburg, UK, etc

We do not support any side, rather we support status quo, antebellum between all the warring powers

To the World
Until now, I've been hoping that maintaining the freedom of Orleans will allow the silent throne of Burgundy to finally accept the peace after achieving their goal. I've been hoping that she is truly just paranoid, just distrustful, and just annoyed by the forts of Orleans.
I've been hoping that the throne of Burgundy is reasonable.
Her silence speaks for them. While we all cry for peace, explain that she got their revealed goals of destroying the Orleans forts, teaching them a lesson, and making sure they don't build them again. While we all argue and squabble as the days slowly turn to the sun of the late spring, as the campaign season once again heats up on not only the Loire, but now also the Rhone and the Seine as well. She smiles.
Yes, it is true.
She wishes to dominate all of France. It is as simple as that. I've been hoping this wasn't the case, but it now seems to be true. Yes, they have achieved their superficial goals; they want more! She had wished to push an army into Poitou and take the Loire for herself, after all, she didn't make a promise to preserve Poitou's independence, did she? She had wished to batter into the city of Orleans and force her king to kneel instead of bow; after all, the now subservient king wouldn't still be head of an independent Kingdom?
She smiles as we plead. Watches as Paris prepares to enter a war all except her wish to end. Smiles as Dauphine, her next target, offers herself to direct conflict with the Burgundian Throne. Smiles, yet worried, as her plan follows through just a hair too fast...
She has one week left until the winter melt-water recedes on the three great rivers of France. She has one week until the her armies, as well as those of Normandy, Poitou, Orleans, Dauphine and Paris march to war. She has one week to prove herself innocent of these doubts.
I believe she will not. She will revel in this war, as the fate of all of France will hold into balance.

You, Protector Edmund Dantes. You sit upon the devious throne of Burgundy. You have one week.
We all wish for peace.
Is Burgundy sated? Or is she the monster of my doubts?
It is your choice.

There is a table in the Republic of the Netherlands. A gilded table in a silver room.
A triangular table. A table of negotiation.
At the head of one side sits the Stadholder of the Republic.
At one side sits King Philippe II of Orleans, King Philip IV of Normandy, and King Henri IV of Poitou.
At the other is an empty chair, labled Protector Edmund Dantes of Burgundy
The table is labled peace.
The room is labled hope.
Hope is broken. Peace is lost.
One man stands outside of the room. Will he enter?
Will You enter?

- King Philip IV

OOC: Nice writing, Terrance. :)

Also, I fixed my invite list above.

Peace of the Loire​

1. The Kingdom of Burgundy and The Kingdom of Orleans agree to end conflict between their respective nations. The Kingdom of Paris, as a brief fellow combatant of Burgundy, also lies at peace with Orleans.

2. The King of Orleans, and all those who may follow him, agree to withhold from building any fortifications, discounting minor structures, along the shared border of our two countries, for it is the threat of said fortifications that brought about hostilities in the first place.

3. The King of Orleans, in the mutual spirit of peace and friendship between our two kingdoms, recants the insults he has made in the past towards Burgundy and apologizes for these attacks against our past king's honor.

4. The Kingdom of Orleans agree to cede lands to the east of the Loire River to the Kingdom of Burgundy, as compensation for the losses caused by this war.

5. The Kingdom of Burgundy, in turn, agrees to send the Court of Orleans 14 EP to assist them with their losses in the war.

Signed,

Edmund Dantes, Protector of the Realm, Count of Monte Cristo :)p)

To the Kingdom of Burgundy
From the Kingdom of Normandy

We thank you for saving reason from the Guillotine. Any offer is better than none, so we may join from column to line against the horde of Liberalism. My signature follows behind that of Philippe II of Orleans.

- King Philip IV of Normandy

OOC: If I somehow don't get to post before the update from this point on, assume that I've signed it if Orleans signed it. If Orleans didn't, assume I apologize gently while pulling Philippe II into a safe room to yell at discuss possible renegotiations which will be as equally acceptable as possible.

Treaty of Swedish-American Friendship

1. The Swedish Empire and the United States of America recognize the need for territorial, customs and trade agreements between each other.

2. The Swedish Empire and the United States of America pledge to negotiate such agreements, as needs be, between each other as time and custom demands.

3. The border between Swedish Vinland and the United States of America will be accorded as it is presently. All territory below the latitude of the current American border will be recognized as under the jurisdiction of the government of the United States, and all settlements there shall be recognized as American. All territory north of which belongs rightfully to the Swedish crown, and all settlements there recognized as Swedish.

4. In commemoration of the spirit of mutual cooperation and friendship between the United States and Sweden, the Swedish Empire will permit the construction of a permanent American embassy in Stockholm. In return, the United States will host a permanent Swedish embassy in the District of Columbia.

5. The signatories agree to be bound by this treaty, and add and amend to it as is necessary.

Signed,
President William Henry Harrison of the United States of America

Treaty of Swedish-American Friendship

1. The Swedish Empire and the United States of America recognize the need for territorial, customs and trade agreements between each other.

2. The Swedish Empire and the United States of America pledge to negotiate such agreements, as needs be, between each other as time and custom demands.

3. The border between Swedish Vinland and the United States of America will be accorded as it is presently. All territory below the latitude of the current American border will be recognized as under the jurisdiction of the government of the United States, and all settlements there shall be recognized as American. All territory north of which belongs rightfully to the Swedish crown, and all settlements there recognized as Swedish.

4. In commemoration of the spirit of mutual cooperation and friendship between the United States and Sweden, the Swedish Empire will permit the construction of a permanent American embassy in Stockholm. In return, the United States will host a permanent Swedish embassy in the District of Columbia.

5. The signatories agree to be bound by this treaty, and add and amend to it as is necessary.

Signed, Her Majesty Christina the Second of Her Name, Queen-Empress of Sweden and Its Territories

To: Brandenburg

Representatives from Sweden will be in attendance. We will keep in mind your desire to have a closer trade relationship with Sweden.

To: All Parties Concerned with the French War

We congratulate all involved on the arrival at an equitable peace treaty. We hope the peace continues long into the future.

To: The Formerly Warring French States

We thank you for bringing an ending to this conflict.

To: Sweden

We would like a response to our inquiry in regards to the Port of Settin. We can use the Oder River for the transport of goods.

We would also like to thank you for accepting our invitation.

Don Antonio Moñino y Gálvez, 2nd Count of Floridablanca, reached the door that gave onto the Secret Chamber, as he was closely followed by fellow Grandee of Spain Don Manuel Alcántara de Téllez Girón, 10th Duke of Osuna, who he had found walking towards the place their Emperor had called them to. They wondered the reasoning behind this, but they knew it had to be important, for if it weren't the meeting would not have been secret.

Upon opening the door, both counts saw that the chamber was not empty, and that they were not the first to enter it.

The room was very simple when compared to the rest of the Royal Palace. The walls were covered with red velvet, and the floor with polished light wood planks. Two windows on the right side of the room from where they were provided enough light. The centre of the room was occupied by a semicircular mahogany table surrounded by several mahogany chairs. The flat side only had four chairs, but the circular part held fourteen chairs. The only decorations in the room were two portraits, one of the Emperor and the other of the Royal Family, and a crucifix over the door in the other side of the room.

Several other people had arrived before them. Floridablanca could see the Duke of Alba and the Duke of Medinaceli in one corner, the Marquis of Cadiz talking with the Duke of Montjuic and the Constable of Castille near the windows. To his surprise, there were not only nobles in the room: Pedro Martínez de la Rosa, former governor of the Kingdom of Granada; General Baldomero Espartero, who had brilliantly served in the Maratha War and had led the army in the victory at the Battle of the Indus Valley; and the Archbishop of Toledo, Cardinal Alonso Quijano.

In total, there were fifteen people in the room. And once the door closed behind the counts of Floridablanca and Osuna, all of them realised what they had in common: all of them were people of the Emperor's confidence, and people that shared the Emperor's mindset. Most of them had been taught next to him in the Noble School that had been part of Spain since the times of King Ferdinand I the Great, and a few of them were even considered good friends or, at least, fellow companions by the then Prince of Asturias. Those that were not nobles had instead drawn the Emperor's favourable attention through their hard work or through heroic deeds in battle.

The counts had engaged in quiet conversation with some of the other assistants when the door under the crucifix opened, and Emperor Carlos VI and his son Alfonso, Prince of Asturias, entered the room. Immediately, all the people that had heeded the call of their Emperor put one knee on the floor and bowed.

"My cousins, my kinsmen, my friends, please rise up and take your seats," the Emperor said. Carlos VI of Trastámara-Borbón, a direct descendant of the Catholic Monarchs through their son Juan III, was an affable man, easy to befriend and willing to hear advice. However, that did not mean that he was easy to manipulate. His intelligence was great, as many of his tutors had realised, and had taken upon the hard tasks of being the Emperor of Spain like a duck to the water. His decision to cut down the ties between the Estados Unidos de Nueva España and the Empire had been a hard one, but he knew that it was best to do that than to keep the Empire in a bad war and worse occupation of territories that were hostile, especially when there were bigger problems at the other side of the world, in India.

Meanwhile, the Prince of Asturias, fifteen-year-old Alfonso de Trastámara-Braganza, was distinguishing himself as an able politician and was studying a field that was little touched by people, that of economics, for which he had developed a couple of ideas that could be applied to the imperial economy.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness," Floridablanca said, bowing to the man and teenager. The others in the room nodded silently. The two central seats were taken by the Emperor and the Prince, while the two seats next to them were taken by Martínez de la Rosa and the Constable of Castile, and the others took the remaining seats.

"I thank you for answering my call, gentlemen," the Emperor said, looking at all the present people. "I have asked you to come here because I wish to deal with one of the problems our beloved Empire is going to have to face, lest it becomes naught but dust and bone. It is, of course, these liberales that have been appearing in our Empire in the last years."

A few of the nobles looked subtly towards Martínez de la Rosa - who had, in the past, been accused of liberal activities, but had demonstrated his innocence - but the man remained unflappable at the looks, and continued to pay attention to the situation.

"What is it that you intend to do with them, Your Majesty?" the Duke of Osuna asked.

"I know that, if we were to order it, our armies would be able to take on any people that tried to rise against my rule in the name of liberalism, but that is not the image I wish to show of our nation. I showed the world that Spain thinks about the good of its people when I decided that slavery was to be terminated. However, this is no longer going to be enough. We may be able to hold off the influence of liberalism for, what, a few years? But I fear that it is not a wave, but a tide, a tide that will either drown us or get us higher and that we cannot stop at all."

The people there were seized with silence. They had never heard such words from their Emperor, and they were illustrative in how he felt.

"This is why I have called you. The thing I want to do is to make sure that, when liberalism becomes a part of our nation, it does not wreck it. Our Empire is going to lie on the edge of its dissolution, and accepting liberalism is probably the only thing that is going to save it from falling, despite what some of the other nobles may say. That is why I need your help, because every one of you that joins means that you will be able to bring more people to our side, and less people on the side of those that would oppose it. Of course, the latter would be probably trying to make it as if they are upholding my will when they do that, despite the fact that I want them to support it.

"I will need your help. Can I count on you for that?"

"Your Majesty, I do not speak for everybody, but you can count on me and mine to support your idea," the Duke of Montjuic said. One by one, everybody in the room (save for the Archbishop of Toledo) gave his support for the Emperor's suggestion.

"Your Majesty, if we support this idea of yours, how will Catholicism survive?"

"You shall not fret, Your Excellency. I am not going to allow Catholicism to fall. It is going to be protected the best possible way I or my descendants can. The Spanish people will pray to Jesus Our Lord until the end of times."

The Archbishop smiled, and gave his consent.

"Thank you, everyone. My son has an idea for the first steps we shall take."

Young Alfonso picked a couple of papers from the table and cleared his throat. "Gentlemen, Excellency, I have here several reports from many parts of our Empire, gathered in the last months and brought to my father. The introduction to the people of this 'shaper' artefact has improved the economy everywhere. The reports clearly state that the mere use of the shaper has increased production everywhere, even doubling in some points of Spain. My suggestion is very easy. Invest not only on these shapers, but on the development of more artefacts like the shapers and the development of an industry based on these artefacts. That can not only improve our economy, but also make us a military powerhouse as we can replenish our munitions far faster than the other nations can!"

The nobles looked at each other, wondering what to do. Their reaction would be important for the Emperor's plan to succeed, and they knew that they couldn't fail him, but at the other side, they couldn't help but wonder what exactly would these ideas bring them to...

To: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We know we gave our word to help you gain a connection between your two colonies in India, and we really would like to keep that word, but this instance is one where it is not possible for us to do so. The strip of land we hastily drew in one map had several cities inside it, and we can't find a way to narrow it enough to give you that connection without angering the princes under our Emperor's protection. We ask for your forgiveness for this instance, and hope that it doesn't darken the relationships between the Empire of Holy Spain and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Peace of the Loire​

1. The Kingdom of Burgundy and The Kingdom of Orleans agree to end conflict between their respective nations. The Kingdom of Paris, as a brief fellow combatant of Burgundy, also lies at peace with Orleans.

2. The King of Orleans, and all those who may follow him, agree to withhold from building any fortifications, discounting minor structures, along the shared border of our two countries, for it is the threat of said fortifications that brought about hostilities in the first place.

3. The King of Orleans, in the mutual spirit of peace and friendship between our two kingdoms, recants the insults he has made in the past towards Burgundy and apologizes for these attacks against our past king's honor.

4. The Kingdom of Orleans agree to cede lands to the east of the Loire River to the Kingdom of Burgundy, as compensation for the losses caused by this war.

5. The Kingdom of Burgundy, in turn, agrees to send the Court of Orleans 14 EP to assist them with their losses in the war.

Signed,

Edmund Dantes, Protector of the Realm, Count of Monte Cristo :)p)

Signed, L. XIII R.

To Orleans

Is the Peace of the Loire acceptable to you?

To Burgundy

We thank you for your efforts to propose a peace

To the World

We are now accepting orders to build ships. Inquire within for pricing and contracts.

To the World

We are pleased to invite the nations of Austria, Normandy, Brazil, Netherlands, Orleans, Brittany, Portugal, Poitou, and the United States of America to be represented at the Royal wedding. Please RSVP to ensure smoothness of the event.

The kingdoms of Orleans and Poitou sign the peace of the Loire.

Top Bottom