Careful when you conquesting with the ottomans.

Arilian

King
I was playing my diety conquest, and was about 5 turn from total victory after conquering almost every city but one capital, then after pressing next turn, I met the loss screen.

Give a few sec and try to guess what happened.

It can happen with any other Civ, but when you conquer a city with the ottomans, the city does not loose population.
The diety enemies usually have bigger cities, so when you conquer, and not keep them, the population will outweigh yours. Alexander win a religious victory as his religion was the majority in every nation:)

Last edited:
I was playing my diety conquest, and was about 5 turn from total victory after conquering almost every city but one capital, then after pressing next turn, I met the loss screen.

It can happen with other Civs, whn you conquer a city with the ottomans, the city does not loose population.
The diety enemies usually have bigger cities, so when you conquer, and not keep them, the population will outweigh yours. Alexander win a religios victory as his religion was the majority in every nation:)

Had that happen once, since then I check that victory screen religiously every few turns. Pun intended. :p

Religion is the best counter to domination strats. :spear:

And this is why I like to found my own religion. Even if I'm not planning to use it for much, I just get inquisitors/ Monastic Isolation.

It can happen with any other Civ, but when you conquer a city with the ottomans, the city does not loose population.
The diety enemies usually have bigger cities, so when you conquer, and not keep them, the population will outweigh yours. Alexander win a religious victory as his religion was the majority in every nation:)
I same thing just happened to me with Phoenicia. That happened once and so long ago that I fell out of the habit of checking on the religious victory status what-so-ever.

Almost happened in my Ottoman game as well. I normally disable that option for that reason. I left the Mali with one city and I saw their religion was fading fast. So I had to spend faith buying a bunch of apostles and missionaries instead of units (to get everyone to armies and corps). I spread Islam on one continent and Catholicism on the other continent. Got enough to get more than half my cities out of the sway of their religion before Mali lost his religion in his only city.

And I almost conquered that Mali city too, I eventually did, but after I fixed the religion problem.

Can happen as any nation. If someone converts a lot of your land, they're the next target. After which nobody can convert you because you kill their stuff to prevent it. Do this and there's no religious loss.

I used to check on it all the time, but since I play most of my games as non-domination games on continents it's really not a concern of mine these days. I will have to remember to keep track of it when I try my no-war Pangaea Court of Love domination game sometime in the future.

Can happen as any nation. If someone converts a lot of your land, they're the next target. After which nobody can convert you because you kill their stuff to prevent it. Do this and there's no religious loss.

They were the most far away Civ.... Could have done it anyway with ships.

Had this sort of almost happen to me a long time ago before GS was released. Ghandi had converted about 6/8 civs with his religion, and this was of course on a pangea map. I caught on to it early enough and nipped it in the bud. Later I would catch Peter doing the same thing in another game. In Immortal and Deity, the AI on rare occasion can get really sneaky on a religion victory sometimes.

It is always worth checking the victory condition tab every 25 turns or so (each condition tab at that!) just to keep an eye out for a runaway. When you have certain T1 civs in your games like Korea, Sumeria, or Macedon you have to watch their progress, double so if they are not your neighbor.

Top Bottom