1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Aveloren

Aveloren Chieftain

Hello all,

I have come across a strange problem and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and/or has been able to resolve it.

I have been able to run C2C on my 5 year old desktop with little to no issues. But I am not able to load it up at all on my 6 month old laptop (I need to get my civ fix outside of my home country as well). To be exact, when I select C2C from the mod selection screen, my laptop will wait a minute or two (much like my desktop) and then fail to load C2C or civ4 in any fashion, no error or message; nothing. When I load any other mod it works perfectly.

I do not think it is hardware related, at least I hope not. I am running with 4gb of ram with an AMD A6 Vision chipset on Windows 7. Interestingly enough I am running Civilization 4 Complete on my laptop but regular DVD releases of Civ 4 and expansions on my desktop. Could there be complictions with Civ4 Complete? I am aware of the regi issue with Civ4 Complete and Vista, could this also carry over to Win7?

Thank you.

2. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Chieftain

So, does anyone know what's causing me to instantly lose every single scenario on game-start? If a scenario loads correctly and doesn't CTD, I'm automatically defeated without ever seeing the map. The tech screen loads, then the UI bars, and then I lose.

Not only am I unable to play any scenarios, but games that do happen to load have incorrect flags, double leaders from the same civ and a start-year in the early 15,000 AD. Oh, and any custom games inevitably lead to a CTD.

I've tried to be gracious about this whole thing but I'm losing patience. Hours of frustration, well-meaning but unhelpful apologies for untested files and the corruption of eighteen months of Civ4 saves is all much more stress than I'm willing to undergo for a mod. I'm into this now, and I want to know what's wrong.

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

When you say 'games that do load' are you talking about new start position games, or attempts to load saves? If the latter please post such a save and I'll take a look at it. If the former is it a custom game or just a 'Play Now' game? On scenarios, which ones?

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Please explain how C2C has corrupted 18 months of saves? 18 months of C2C saves or CivIV saves in general?

C2C uses a new save format called Maximum Compatibility. It is Now the default save format for C2C Not Standard CIV IV save format. As of version v20 all C2C saves use Max Compat. Regular Civ IV and Other BtS mods in general Do Not. AND does now too.

If you want Standard saves Back then:
    open Assets\XML\A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml

search ALWAYS_USE_MAX_COMPAT_SAVES
    change 1 to 0

Then when you go to save you will have a choice presented to save in Standard BtS save or Max Compat.

Please, when presenting your problem give as much detail as you can. The Team does understand your frustration. Thank you.

JosEPh :)

5. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Any scenarios not specifically written or adapted for C2C are likely incompatible.
    The same is true for map scripts.

When the Python code that builds the map fails then it usually also does not place any units so you lose the moment the normal game starts. With logging enabled that can usually be seen in the PythonErr.log file.

6. Civmatrix

Civmatrix Warlord

ok ill update the svn first and try it.

EDIT: IT works now. But still having issues with re basing planes and such since the svn.Also problem with using guided missiles and the A10s. Also you can transport an agent on an old sub but not a nuclear sub. Also noticed a bug where my ground units traveled into the water and fought a enemy submarine? Also there was a few instances when i was able to put the units into the ocean in a few spots. strange bug. There was also a time when I placed 12 units in one nuclear sub, not sure if I can do it again or not. Haven't tried.

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

If you can post the save where it happens and give a decsription of exactly what you have to do to reproduce it please.

8. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Chieftain

Sorry about the late response (and the 'tude). Firstly Andy, I was talking about non-C2C save games (all RFC and RFC-VD) in the standard Civ4 file format. As for uploading a saved game to the thread, well, I can't save and port what I can't load and play. I'll take a third look-through a few folders and try to find an autosave. And while I have slightly altered the scenarios, I'm still playing only those which were included with the C2C v20 file. I had to alter the scenario XML's to because extra leaders downloaded from StrategyOnly caused my game to CTD and corrupt other saved games. I talked with Strat on page 218 of this thread about the file Extra_LH_C2C.FPK.

9. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Chieftain

10. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

Just want to say how much I am enjoying the Hero units - absolutely brilliant. Not sure when they were introduced, but I didn't play much for a couple of months, and they weren't in the previous version I used. Just when I think this mod can't possibly get any better and more complex, there's a whole new thing in there for me to discover and learn how to use, re-evaluate my tactics, and enjoy.

Brilliant work folks, please keep it coming, I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :) :)

11. Ckornelius

Ckornelius Chieftain

Hi, congratz to the great mod, is getting my can't-stop-playing feeling back :). Unfortunately I can't finish a game with a large map and 10 AIs starting as I seem to always run into a CTD at some point.

I did some test runs of previous SVN versions, got a constant CTD and waited for the newest version 1814, started a new test game which run fine and I just had a random MAF in 10 h. But then I ended up again with a constant CTD :confused:. I have uploaded the savegame and wanted to ask you if you could confirm the crash and if there is something that I could do to avoid it.

I played on a IBM Thinkpad Toucan W520 NV and Windows 7 Professional 64bit, defines for wonders and buildings were turned to 0, so I think the hardware should not be an issue.

Attached Files:

12. phill4848

phill4848 Chieftain

in my game all the resources i no longer have access to, my cities do but i cant build paved roads for example bc the worker requires stone also when i point to the resource icon it says i have zero

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

So I got to the Galactic Era for the first time! :D There is lots I need to balance and of couse add all the stuff for the Galactic Era techs, but I glad to see that I can actually play the game without crashing at that stage. Also this game is SOOOO epic, i mean each era on snail is like its own mod. Some eras seem like 2 different eras (such as early prehistoric vs late prehistoric). Great job guys! :goodjob:

14. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

This was fixed in the SVN version two weeks ago. I assume you are using vanilla v20? Have you updated from the patch thread if so? (I updated the DLL in the patch thread today to make sure it included this fix, so either way worth getting the latest). As a one-off action after you take the patch DLL you'll need to do a modifier recalc. If it doesn't prompt you on load (but I think it will anyway, so just say yes) then the key sequence is ctrl-alt-T.

15. Belgianchief

Belgianchief Chieftain

I've just downloaded C2C and have not been able to start it up either, neither from within the game or through the C2C icon. Then i started browsing the forums and found this post which described what happened to me aswell. My laptop will fail to load C2C after a few minutes, without any error messages. Any suggestions for help?

16. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Did you wait 5 minutes for the FIRST load time?

17. Belgianchief

Belgianchief Chieftain

I just downloaded the mod today, and i havent gotten it to work yet. I start up Civ4 , load C2C from there, Civ 4 shuts down, it tries to load the mod. Then, after 2 mins, a black screen flashes up, as it would if it succesfully loaded the game, but then nothing happens. I can still run Civ4 perfectly, only C2C doesnt work.

Edit: I just reinstalled and it's working fine now, I'm sorry for any time wasted or inconveniance caused by me.
    The mod looks great, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this :)
    Thanks anyway

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Not-so-smart Man

So, I'm watching a Let's play by Quill18, of the newest version, I think, it's been a long time since I played this mod, and I saw deserts deal damage over time.

This is possibly a bad thing. I say that, because unless the tiles stop dealing damage by the late game, it makes zero sense for the damage to happen after say, the 1800s technology wise.
    I liked this mod, the last time I played, but I do wonder why have desert tiles damage you in the game, if they'll damage you by the late game too?

I mean, a tank should not take 15% damage from wandering through a desert. Tanks don't work that way. :)
    And what about flying units/units that aren't alive, androids/etc. What about mech units? Dreadnaughts? I can't imagine a tank that supposedly can survive a nuclear bomb can take damage from a desert. That would be silly.

So, care to help reassure me that it will go away in time? Or that every unit gets a built in 15% heal per turn? :) But only in deserts.

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I don't know if anyone has looked at this. I never play with that option on so I haven't. However we are starting to balance late renaissance to modern so hopefully it will go on the list to check.

20. Ckornelius

Ckornelius Chieftain

What are the recommended settings in regards to which mods should be turned active (like realistic economy, etc.) concerning the stability (getting CTDs at some point)?