1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

6850 here and no problems either.

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

That was my post .. . but i have hence deleted the way i have my ATI card set-up, and Civ IV options. They all matter.

Actually its the other way around in the Firaxis/ . . games, ATI cards are way better. No offense to those that use NVidia but reviews are reviews.

if you currently have an ATI 5850 (if its HD) dont change it, its a great card, they only make a few better than that, if its an HD card.

The black terrain has been happening to me also, but its a where do you have your SVN and how many copies of C2C do you have in the same folder, how often do you update SVN etc, all kinds of little details that matter.

3. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

I am not having black terrain issues now, but I did when the issue first struck. One of the C2C team made a comment iirc about ATI cards not doing some particular type of processing as well, and it's that I want to know about.

I'm NOT trying to solve a current bug, just asking a question about graphics cards, which will hopefully be seen and answered by whoever it was who posted whatever it was about ATI cards that I vaguely remember but can't find using the forum search facility.

I'm not looking for help with a bug or problem.

Edit: Ah Strategyonly beat me to it. Thanks for clarifying that! The 5850 is going because my husband needs a new PC, if we're going to be spending money on a graphics card I'd rather spend a bit more to upgrade mine (I'm looking at the HD 7970 or GTX 670) and put the 5850 in his new one as I am the heavy duty gamer of the two of us, rather than just buying another 5850 - it's not as if I won't want to upgrade mine at some point anyway so might as well do it now since I have to buy a graphics card anyway! Besides, I've got a tax rebate that wants to be spent on something exciting :D

4. strategyonly

Well in that case, i believe the 7970 is the BEST ATI card available right now, so a darn good choice there, but if you go NVidiva, the 670 is not the best one, they now have a Titanium 7?? (something) but it is very spendy.

5. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

...and hot...and noisy

6. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

The 2 I mentioned are at the top of my budget, graphics cards are quite a bit more expensive in the UK than in both the US and the rest of the EU and I definitely can't go any pricier than those! Tax rebate, not lottery jackpot ;)

Hold on - what you (strategyonly) said about the black terrain issue has only just sunk in - I always have at least 2 C2C installs - SVN for single player, latest official release for multi player - is that a no-no? Also have AND and AND/ROM too. My game's been behaving itself recently but I'll move the ones I'm not currently playing to a different folder, just shift them back and forth as needed, if that's not going to cause any other odd issues?

7. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

8. strategyonly

Just do what i do: see attached:

Extra Copy of Mods folder with all other games SVN etc:

Spoiler :

Inside the extra folder for mods:

Spoiler :

Mods Folder:

Spoiler :

Desktop:

Spoiler :

9. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

10. dusckr87

dusckr87 Prince

I have both ROM and ROM-AND as well as C2C in the mods folder (and of course dozens of others, some that are different versions of the same mod) and usually have no problems with the "duplicates". As long as the folder name is different, and matches the .ini name, there is normally no problem. There are a few mods that I am aware of that even with different names do cause problems, but they are very few (RiFE is the one that springs immediately to mind). I used to have both v23 and a "working" copy of the SVN for C2C in the mods folder, but I scrapped the v23 (not because it caused problems, but because I didn't really like v23). I make sure to keep my updated SVN version in a "temp" folder.

Long story short, it shouldn't be a problem if named differently, and if it is a problem you can simply delete (or move temporarily---it won't make a difference) the one you don't want.

11. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Specs don't tell the whole story but i get your point. £350 is a waste of money though seriously. Just buy a TV instead :p wait 8 months for the price to fall on these newer cards. I got ATI 6970 its good, but I wouldn't recommend ATI to anyone. Catalyst sucks. Upgrading drivers is a nightmare and the last two ATI cards i've had, had to replace 5 times due to faults or them dying after only 3 months. Will def. be buying a nvidia next time.

12. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

It's a waste of money in your opinion. There are people out there who spend far more money on their hobbies (or buying ridiculously uncomfortable shoes, which I am led to believe is considered 'normal' for other people of my gender!) than I spend on my interests, and I bet you spend money on stuff that I would consider wasteful and pointless. Yes my main hobbies are building/upgrading/tinkering with PCs/PC hardware, and gaming (I do have plenty of other interests but they don't cost much) and when I occasionally have some spare cash, I spend it on my hobbies. So what?

13. Acularius

Acularius King

I'll be honest, I may watch... an hour of TV a week? (Weather Network)
    So the TV thing would be a decorative ornament in the room.

14. Epona222

Epona222 Warlord

I have an HDTV (it was a gift), but I use it as part of my multi-monitor setup, it's on a wall bracket right above the desk with a monitor each side of it :lol: I watch all my TV via the PC anyway. Sofa is on the opposite side of the room, I can either sit at the desk or lounge on the sofa for gaming or watching video files/streamed video/DVDs.

15. HarvesterofSorr

HarvesterofSorr Chieftain

Sorry but there's a lot of "inside baseball" in that answer. I checked the GEM thread and couldn't find any links to the maps themselves. I'm kind of new to this site. Overall loving the MOD though.

16. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

lol touchy much? Go blow it all at the hookers for all I care, just saying you might be better off since your not getting that much of an upgrade and this price will surely drop 100 pounds in 6 months.

17. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I assume you already upgraded to an SSD? That was the most eye-opening upgrade I ever made, and I'll never build another system without one.

19. geo13mani

geo13mani Chieftain

i have been trying for about 3 hours 2 find a sollution for a problem when i try 2 play c2c...i've downloaded it,unzipped it at the right spot,i run beyond the sword,load the mod and when it oppens the program and starts loading it pops up a bunch of errors...plz i would really appreciate an answer if someone knows how to solve this...

20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Welcome to CFC and C2C. It would help us identify the problem if you could tell us what the error messages are.