1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Chieftain

Much appreciated. I'll try to keep it at around 9~ so I can still get all the culture types available.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Once again, since turn times are being discussed... for shorter turn times, try playing a multiplayer game with a direct IP connection with no players aside from yourself. This will get much of the AI processing to take place during your turn if you play with simultaneous turns and it adds a rather interesting real-time strategic element to the turn as well.

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You can play with Giant If you adhere to SO's advice on keeping # of AI in game low. BUT, also be aware that with all the custom Civs in the game the Graphics load on a Giant Map may cause you to have MAF issues as well as longer EoT waiting time.

If you do Not use Rev you can play with a slight larger AI pool. I normally use 7-10 on a Giant map because I don't use REV, nor Barb Civ. But now that the number of Civs in the game has expanded the Graphics load can be very heavy and a MAF may appear. Be sure that you don't have many background apps or programs running on your computer Or you may start experiencing MAFs too.

Check Task manger while C2C is running. If it is hitting more than 2.4GB of usage you can start having MAFs. I can almost guarantee that if it hits 2.8GB of usage you will MAF.

It's actually getting where C2C needs to reign in it's graphics load. About half the current Civs need to be removed and made into a Civ pack Modmod that the player then can decide to use or not. All depending upon how good a Comp they have. But new Civs keep getting added almost every day. The Graphics load is reaching it's limit impo.

JosEPh

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Now if only we could use this for early units but not for later Or have it dynamic depending on your map size etc:mischief:

5. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

Just wanted to thank you guys for all your awesome work :) Just saw the update and been waiting for it for a while. I am hoping it will fix my current game where the turn never ends. 'cause I sadly was not able to isolate the issue and the only solution was to delete half of Africa, which I refused to go with. :(

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Look at post # 1 in our Bug thread and then post what you have there, thx for the comments.:)

7. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Sure it never ends? my record was almost 45min for a turn after a war in modern times on the GEM ;)

8. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

Well I am playing the GEM, in modern/future times, with world wars periodically taking place.
    But my turns are still fairly fast. And I think I even let it run for over an hour with no result. The processor isn't even really doing anything. Just nothing happens.

Well and now I can't load the game with the latest version... Sigh

9. 0100010

0100010 Prince

Is it possible to create some better incremental UI feedback during AI turns?

messages such as
    "Executing turn for Player 2... updating units..."
    "Executing turn for Player 2... updating cities..."
    "Executing turn for Player 10... updating units..."
    "Executing turn for Barbarians... updating units..."

That we people can see activity happening during those long turn times.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Hmm... that's actually a very good idea! Yes! It'd have to be conditional so that only games without simultaneous turns are going to show it but it could certainly help to ease minds during long waits.

11. strategyonly

If it doesnt make use of more memory and its strictly an option, then OK with me, otherwise NO.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

A message won't hurt processing at all. And why would that be necessary to make an option? (Not that it couldn't be made a bug option I suppose.)

13. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Playing with Minimize AI turn time won't display anything too. Graphics are frozen/not updated when active.

14. strategyonly

Because i dont like it one single bit, hows that??, I dont like HALF of the stuff that goes on in there, and i take them OUT "as an option."

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The point of the logs PythonErr2.log and PythonDbg.log is so that you can see that things are happening. Every time you add some Python you should be adding more messages to those two files but you should be using the BUG methods of writing there so people can choose the level of messages written debug etc.

The point of the turn/screen log is supposed to be like a news report of what is happening in your nation. Currently there is far too much and like SO says it needs some way of determining what it is you want to know. I find that the important stuff scrolls off to fast and the unimportant stuff stays too long.

If you are going to add some turn processing indicator it does not go in the turn/screen log. It needs to go somewhere else on the screen entirely. One version of civ had this little coloured dot which showed the colour of the nation being processed.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Well... obviously. I was asking why you wouldn't like it, not whether you do or not. That had been established already. But I think DH probably gave some reasons I'd not considered. I just look at the message log now and then and don't expect myself to catch everything right when it messages.

One of these days I really should look through the BUG options and see which messages I do want and which ones I don't.

And I do intend to take some of the combat notes and put them into the Combat Log through python as I'd originally planned (and probably had been very close to succeeding in doing) but had run up against a complete misunderstanding that I could not use my normal text editor to work with python files without having a problem so at the time I just could NOT get it to work.

@DH: To some extent CivIV does that already - puts a * next to the player when a player has completed their turn (not while processing is the difference).

The reality is, messages seem to be frozen when other players are taking their turns so it'd probably do little more than queue up a bunch of player x is processing his turn messages and display them all at once when your turn gets underway. That would be annoying and useless.

So I'll just do nothing on this front. I just thought it might be nice for the players to have an indication that the turn IS processing and the game isn't frozen. But the more I think about it the more useless I think it would be.

17. rwglaub

rwglaub Prince

How do I mod the number of civs in a game?

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If you want to change the maximum number of civs in a game you need to change the dll.

19. strategyonly

Or are you asking when you are actually INGAME play mode??

20. rwglaub

rwglaub Prince

So how do I do that before the game starts?