Caveman 2 Cosmos

The problem with suddenly making a freeze with so little advance notice is that we don't get time to discuss and then merge everything in "test" and "experimental" into core. There are a number of things in the My_Mods folder that should be merged into core and I would like to get most of the animals out of my folder also.

Also getting the pedia part of PPIO (or whatever it is called) would be a big boost to C2C as well.

edit in my opinion the four My_Mods that should be moved into core would be
  • Arsonist fix
  • Burial Traditions
  • Neanderthal Units
  • New Cultures
We also need some discussions on if I should merge the World Views into core or combine them into one module since they all use Captives and the Action/Missions have to be in the one file definition or it does not work. I.E. Missions/Actions are not merged like other lists.

Last edited:
The problem with suddenly making a freeze with so little advance notice is that we don't get time to discuss and then merge everything in "test" and "experimental" into core. There are a number of things in the My_Mods folder that should be merged into core and I would like to get most of the animals out of my folder also.
All sounds like stuff you should do during a freeze anyhow. I know it's not debugging but it still qualifies as general maintenance rather than anything that makes for a change in the game. Just be careful with it.

Also getting the pedia part of PPIO (or whatever it is called) would be a big boost to C2C as well.
Yeah, no matter how much I beg this doesn't seem to ever happen.

Arsonist fix
What is this?

• Burial Traditions
  • Neanderthal Units
  • New Cultures
I agree with this.
We also need some discussions on if I should merge the World Views into core or combine them into one module since they all use Captives and the Action/Missions have to be in the one file definition or it does not work. I.E. Missions/Actions are not merged like other lists.
My vote is, without hesitation, move it to the core.

We can run the freeze longer if you need an extra week or two for that stuff. Mostly, by freeze, I mean nothing that would affect gameplay. I promise I'll be looking at nothing but only the most major bugs. I MIGHT tinker a little with some of the loading issues and see if I can't make it at least work rationally where there are some irrationalities lurking. That's not a full fix to the whole picture there but it's enough. I won't try to address some major things I know the AI still needs help with because I know that stuff is high risk modding. Mostly I'm on down time so this is a good time to freeze for me like it is for Pepper.

I'm for freeze too.

According to my experiment few buildings and units have small errors like misplaced tech/resource/building requirement, text or broken movie define.

Last edited:
No objections to a freeze.

1. I think certain maps, such as Smartmap and Planet Generator, should be tweaked slightly to have caves be more common. There are 3 maps I almost always choose; World, Smartmap and Planet generator. Compared to world, Caves seem to be rare on the other two. I don't know if it's just that World has more caves than normal or if the other two have less.

2. I'm stuck in a cycle where I get bored/impatient at around ancient of classical era, leave for a weeks, comeback and feel like I have to start over because I've gotten what I was doing. :(

3. Request: For the next official release after the upcoming one, would it be possible to add splash screens such as full tech windows, 'top 8 CIV' pop ups, and great person info screens in multiplayer? Want to try playing in multiplayer mode for simultaneous turns but I find having to give up the splash screens a tough choice. For some reason world wonders still have pop ups in multiplayer, but great person and other screens do not.

4. Completely insane request: Could one of you guys win the lottery, quit your job, and commit the rest of your life to remaking CIV4 in a more modern engine? :p

Thank you all for your great work! :thumbsup:

1. I think certain maps, such as Smartmap and Planet Generator, should be tweaked slightly to have caves be more common. There are 3 maps I almost always choose; World, Smartmap and Planet generator. Compared to world, Caves seem to be rare on the other two. I don't know if it's just that World has more caves than normal or if the other two have less.
Maybe @Toffer90 could complete this request?

2. I'm stuck in a cycle where I get bored/impatient at around ancient of classical era, leave for a weeks, comeback and feel like I have to start over because I've gotten what I was doing. :(
I tend to hit that same cycle and have been trying to figure out why. I think it just starts getting to be a very different game once you start having lots of cities to maintain and isn't as fun after that point. To me. It then gets more fun once you're more fully invested into it and the map closes in and there gets to be more strategic interplay with the other players, but it takes more patience at that point and usually by then I'm getting distracted by something else in life, like needing to mod further due to some frustration I experience.

3. Request: For the next official release after the upcoming one, would it be possible to add splash screens such as full tech windows, 'top 8 CIV' pop ups, and great person info screens in multiplayer? Want to try playing in multiplayer mode for simultaneous turns but I find having to give up the splash screens a tough choice. For some reason world wonders still have pop ups in multiplayer, but great person and other screens do not.
I can maybe try to look into that - it would be nice if you did get those. I'm not sure why you don't on MP. It's probably pretty simple if I can just find the switch.

4. Completely insane request: Could one of you guys win the lottery, quit your job, and commit the rest of your life to remaking CIV4 in a more modern engine? :p
I've been trying, not to win the Lottery per se, but looking for some kind of way to break on through so I could make this sort of thing a reality. I've come to realize it's not about doing it myself so much as paying someone to set up the initial structure (and having the funding and plan to move forward with.) I might be able to achieve that before I die. Would be cool. Stranger things have happened.

Maybe it would be possible via crowd funding? I think the C2C community is small, but not much people have heard about it. With some advertisement, mayby via steam might help with that. There are quite some early access games out there.

The property control unit AI's should finally be fixed before V39.

They are flawed because
  1. Cities call for property control units
  2. Units answer those requests or decide on their own where they might be needed.
  3. If they moved to the city which requested them they are still locking if they should move to another city.
  4. They move to another city.
  5. The city falls for property control units.
  6. ............

This leads to the Ai overbuilding those units and still failing to control properties. Once a unit answered a city request that unit should no longer look where to go until the city doesnt need that unit anymore sind releases it.

The property control unit AI's should finally be fixed before V39.

They are flawed because
  1. Cities call for property control units
  2. Units answer those requests or decide on their own where they might be needed.
  3. If they moved to the city which requested them they are still locking if they should move to another city.
  4. They move to another city.
  5. The city falls for property control units.
  6. ............

This leads to the Ai overbuilding those units and still failing to control properties. Once a unit answered a city request that unit should no longer look where to go until the city doesnt need that unit anymore sind releases it.
You're welcome to try to make improvements. They don't move on unless the city they are in doesn't need them any more unless the city calling for them needs them a lot more there than where they are, but oftentimes by moving on, they make that city need more again soon. This is why not all units can move away from a city.

I find the system works until a city across water starts needing help. There's nothing there to tell the units how to board a ship to get where they need to be, nor to tell a ship how to deliver them where they need to be. Yes, even before that they can act a bit like bungees getting pulled all over the place and a bit more resistance to leaving could be infused into them. But put too much and then too many Prop Control units get trained and it becomes an overreaction and then they have too many overall. If we then tried to tell them to disband some, the same problem could easily occur, wasting production.

I don't plan to work on this prior to v39 release or we[ll be waiting way too long. This is the sort of thing that will probably introduce more/worse bugs in the process if I'm working on it.

They don't move on unless the city they are in doesn't need them any more unless the city calling for them needs them a lot more there than where they are, but oftentimes by moving on, they make that city need more again soon. This is why not all units can move away from a city.

What's stopping them from just moving away?
The property control units which a city needs should not even look for work in other cities. The other thing is that all those units contantly looking for work actually creates an huge slowdown.

The city should have control over at least an minimal amount of property control units. Those should not look for work and not be able to move away in their own.

What's stopping them from just moving away?
There are some mathematical forces that pull at the units to stay and not all of them can leave at all. There's something like a minimum of 2 of each property control unit that cannot leave (according to their own AI determinations anyhow - they might be able to be called by the broker system which I'm not sure how to turn them off from being able to answer to.) The more units that are answering to a need, the less the need is perceived in competition with the needs of the city they are currently in as well.
The property control units which a city needs should not even look for work in other cities. The other thing is that all those units contantly looking for work actually creates an huge slowdown.
If I trusted the brokerage system, that would be possible. I do not have enough of a handle on it to be able to make that the only means of controlling where they should be, particularly controlling how many of them get called to that job. I agree it's a little slow to process what currently exists. Furthermore, the brokerage also doesn't have a way to ask for transports to enable units on other landmasses to be moved across to where the need exists. The brokerage was never developed out that far. It also had severe problems until very recently when some of it got debugged by a very clever programmer who took a look at some settling issues. It MAY work a little more like expected after that and maybe there's a way to enact better control through it than there has been up to now because of those bugs. But due to them, and other limitations in the brokerage system, I found I could not enact enough measured control through that alone.

The city should have control over at least an minimal amount of property control units. Those should not look for work and not be able to move away in their own.
As stated above, that is established already, at least as far as I can. It is possible that brokerage calls are still pulling some out that shouldn't be able to and a simple trick to make them unable to answer to a brokerage call would fix that. With Crime Control, there is also an extra unit AIs on units that help to control crime that every city should want at least one of, the Investigator AI. Some should also be trained for use in visibility needs and maintained in each city. That's not QUITE working as planned and there are some things to still tinker with there to get it working right. But the point is that there's a much better anti-crime blanket being employed in all cities. Again there, the brokerage MAY be causing some problems I'm not anticipating by grabbing units that weren't intended to be used for the purpose it grabs them for.

This stuff is so astronomically complex that I need months of focus on it to make any real progress there and I'm tired of fiddling with it all. My job has complexified and become much more demanding and I'm mentally exhausted at the end of most days and wanting more to play on the weekends at the moment. I need some time to let go then come back and fall in love with the mod all over again - I know that's the process that is natural since I've gone through it more than once.

In the meantime, the AI is not crippled with how it functions at the moment, at least not until much later in the game. And thus I've been happy to rest on it a bit. Sure there's 5000 things that need to be improved about the AI. I think we all know that. A release can't imply we've achieved perfection. Just better by far than the last version and as stable as can be expected.

With all that said, if you can see ways to improve it, great! But are you SURE it should be destabilized BEFORE the next release? Many improvements in this realm of AI decisionmaking were accomplished just after the last release, much of which was addressing exactly what you're saying is still problematic, and I'm thinking it's best to work on this stuff just after a release rather than just before one. I know it's still imperfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was.

I think my current game has started to crash due to many units/cities as it returned to the desktop without an error report in the middle of selecting new building options. Would using the worldbuilder to remove civilizations by giving all cities of some of the weaker AI's to a stronger AI player help, our should one of the more remote continents into ocean to reduce the amount of memory used?

I think my current game has started to crash due to many units/cities as it returned to the desktop without an error report in the middle of selecting new building options. Would using the worldbuilder to remove civilizations by giving all cities of some of the weaker AI's to a stronger AI player help, our should one of the more remote continents into ocean to reduce the amount of memory used?
You could try it. My wife's game on a Huge map this started happening every round in the Atomic era.

Ok, I'm officially calling us in a freeze period. Urgent bug fixes, balance adjustments where truly needed and not too sweeping, and maintenance only for the next week or two.

Who is going to package things for downloading this time around?

I'll be working on revising and updating the Player's Guide so please comment on anything out of date there that needs to be reconsidered.

Any other last minute considerations?

Ok, I'm officially calling us in a freeze period. Urgent bug fixes, balance adjustments where truly needed and not too sweeping, and maintenance only for the next week or two.

Who is going to package things for downloading this time around?

I'll be working on revising and updating the Player's Guide so please comment on anything out of date there that needs to be reconsidered.

Any other last minute considerations?
I guess I managed to correct some confusing issues with buildings in last minute :p

So if I spot more errors in movies or help texts can I commit such fixes?

I guess I managed to correct some confusing issues with buildings in last minute :p

So if I spot more errors in movies or help texts can I commit such fixes?
Anything that could introduce a bug or disagreement on review should probably be held off from here if you can just hold onto it until after release. But if something is obvious and really needs it and can be argued easily fits into:
Urgent bug fixes, balance adjustments where truly needed and not too sweeping, and maintenance only
then fine.

Let's just try this time, and I'm holding myself to this above all, to not be delving into fixes so deep that we create a major last minute upset that requires tons of work to correct. Things are pretty stable at the moment and we need to take advantage of that, which is the point of this freeze and release cycle. Then things can go back to business as usual.

@Thunderbrd ,

I have a question about you and alberts2 conversation about Property control units. The current Define setting is for 2 Property Control units. But...the question...Is this for every Property (Crime, Disease, Education)? Or does it mean 2 units for all 3 properties? Which could lead to 1 or 2 properties getting no help.

I'm hoping it's 2 for Each Property. Would raising it to 3 cause AI unit overload under current system if it is 2 for each?

Top Bottom