CCM2 Epic Mod

SteamCiv, thank you very much for your interest in CCM1 and CCM2 and of course in your effort of doing a very special worldmap for CCM. :)

I wanted to have a closer look to your worldmap, that´s why my reply appears here with some delay. Your approach to cut out Siberia and most of Africa results in an interesting gameplay on a map that is feeling like earth in many ways but isn´t earth in many other ways. I think your work deserves a screenshot in this post as it is astonishing, especially when considering that it is only 100x100:

Unfortunately the map isn´t working with CCM2, so I imported the rules of CCM2 to the rar-file that is attached at the bottom of this post. I additionally placed the starting location for Australia and some other new civs on the map (and therefore had to remove some barbarian huts next to that location). When importing the CCM2 rules to the map, the players settings for the second settler did switch to a pikeman instead of the second starting settler, but I found this very handy to deal with the tons of barbarians, so I didn´t change that setting.

SteamCiv, I didn´t have the time to add the new resources (especially silver and coffee) to your map, so there is still some work to do with the rar-file posted here, like adding the new resources and may be setting the additional pikeman in the players setting back to a second settler for each of the 31 civs, if wanted.

All fans of CCM1 and CCM2 please note, that this map above is not the CCM worldmap I´m working on since a longer time. That map is 360 x 306 and based on the map of Rocoteh´s famous WWII scenario WW2 Global, also having an enlarged Europe. Unfortunately my original idea of doing that worldmap was stopped by running into a 256-resources-limit of Civ 3. I attache a screenshot of the region of the Nile in the old prototype of the CCM worldmap, showing a city with barbarian troops, growing in numbers, in it. I´m working now at a different concept for that worldmap, but it is too early to post here something about it.

Attachments

• Shrinkworld.jpg
    Shrinkworld.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • CCM_2EuroCentric10(Standard).rar
    106.2 KB · Views: 149
  • CCM2Map-Prototype1.jpg
    CCM2Map-Prototype1.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 1,228
Last edited:
Thank you for alerting me to this, Civinator. I'll have to fix those resources for CCM2 and adjust documentation accordingly.
Any special editor or is v1.00 fine?

------------
I have recently finished a small world map of the same sort for Civ2 and should upload that as well. Even more in that game, most of the civs available center around the Mediterranean and Europe so I wanted a map that would better accommodate them .

Last edited:
Any special editor or is v1.00 fine?

Yes, editor v1.00 is still fine :yup:, but the Quintillus editor can also be used (and will be used for my CCM2 worldmap, especially for deepwater harbours).

I am trying to remember what these purple lines are on the maps over the cities. I know this is an editor feature. I recall them in Lord of the Rings scenario.

Yes, that screenshot was done from the editor view :yup: as the current CCM2 files on my pc do not support that old biq any longer. Ingame these lines were not visible.

Hello and thank you for this amazing mod. A lot of fun indeed! However, I get some fatal errors. Just now the game exited because it couldn't find Enslaved Worker-datafiles. I checked, and there are no directory of that name in Arts > Units. Am I doing something wrong? Or are the files really missing? (Previously I had the same problem with Enkidu Warrior-datafiles).

borysj, welcome at CFC :band:[party] and thank you very much for your kind words about CCM2. :)

You must copy the normal C3C units into the Art\units folder. As CCM2 holds an exe that can start the game, this is a way of copy protection to assure, that the gamer has his own version of C3C. Due to the installation advice you should do a backup of the art\units folder and name it units-orig (or something like that. Than the rar-file should unzip into the units-folder adding all the CCM2 units to that folder, so you now have the original C3C units and the CCM2 additional units in the new units folder.

Last edited:
Of course! Thank you. Works as a charm. However, please consider a slight edit to your explanation about how to install CCM2. I read it carefully, but I didn't understand that I had to merge vanilla files with CCM2-files. You had written there: "Unzip the CCM2.rar file to the Civ III Complete Conquests mainfolder and set the zip to replace all files" which makes sense now, but this instruction comes after your advice to rename the old directories in order to back them up. Thus, the user ends up with CCM2-files only.

Anyway, it might be only me who did not understand the instructions properly. Thanks again for the great work and for your quick reply.

Of course! Thank you. Works as a charm. However, please consider a slight edit to your explanation about how to install CCM2. I read it carefully, but I didn't understand that I had to merge vanilla files with CCM2-files. You had written there: "Unzip the CCM2.rar file to the Civ III Complete Conquests mainfolder and set the zip to replace all files" which makes sense now, but this instruction comes after your advice to rename the old directories in order to back them up. Thus, the user ends up with CCM2-files only.

Anyway, it might be only me who did not understand the instructions properly. Thanks again for the great work and for your quick reply.

Thank you very much for your advice. :) After your post I considered the same. :yup: The problem that you first have to create a backup copy of the original C3C files and after that doing the unzip in the original C3C folders is, that at least the ugly graphics of the C3C vanilla cruiser are overwritten with new much better looking graphics. If I would write the explanation in the order first to do the unzip of the CCM2 mainfile and after that pasting the original folders in it, the ugly graphics of the original C3C cruiser would be in the game (and in the text files you would have the wrong text).

So please, how would you write a good explanation about installing CCM2 in this point?

Ha, good question! Maybe instead of suggesting to rename the original directories (Art, Sound, Text), tell the users to copy them somewhere else. Then, after CCM2-directories have been unpacked, let's tell them to copy the original Art back, and when the system asks whether to replace files, they have to choose SKIP ALL. In that way only the original Civ3-files that were NOT improved in CCM2 will be restored (like Enkidu Warrior, Enslaved Warrior etc.).

However, I am not sure whether SKIP ALL is available in Windows Explorer...? I don't like to use it for these kinds of file operations, and I am sticking with Total Commander. There everything worked nicely.

Alternatively, you can make the list of the original Civ3-files that were NOT improved, and just ask the users to copy them back to the CCM2-Art folder manually. But maybe there are tons of them...? Then this solution would be hardly feasible.

borysj, thank you very much for your thoughts about installing CCM2. :) The problem with your suggestion is, that there are some lousy C3C files (per example the C3C cruiser unit graphics) that would not be changed when pasting the original C3C art files into the CCM files. The CCM2 text files must stay anyway as otherwise CCM2 would crash.

The solution by backup folders and pasting the CCM2 files into the original art, text and sounds folders is needed, so there can be a fast and simple change between the original C3C folders and the updated folders by CCM2. This simple switch is needed for other scenarios and conquests in the C3C scenarios or conquests folders, that don´t have their own textfiles or some conquests in the conquests folder, that have their own textfiles but use the textfiles of the C3C mainfolder instead of their own text files for reasons I have not figured out yet. By adding and deleting the suffixes to those folders with a simple text editor, that is contained in every windows version, this job can be done fast and simply. There also exists a batch file, but I haven´t added this to the CCM2 download, as it only can switch between the C3C original folders and the C3C-CCM2 folders and there is another mod by tom2050 that also uses modded C3C mainfolders. Even more important is, that many friends of Civ 3 are not used to the handling of batch files. This would also need additional instructions with the danger that some civers will be confused by this option.

If CCM2 is only installed as a conventinal scenario in the scenarios folder (what is possible), it will loose the option of the city view (as it is the case with all normal C3C scenarios) and aditionally it cannot work as a big base for all C3C modders for simply adding up to thousands of units without adding all of those unit files each time again to each single scenario or mod.

There's something wrong with the Egyptian settler. You get the auto produced clan, but it won't upgrade to settler and stays stuck at the palace.

Last edited:
There's something wrong with the Egyptian settler. You get the auto produced clan, but it won't upgrade to settler and stays stuck at the palace.

Tigris of Gaul, thank you very much for your continuing interest in CCM2. :)

Yes, there was an error with the Egyptian settler in the first CCM2 biq. That´s why on 26 December 2017 I released a new CCM2 biq that fixed that error. You can see it in the last sentence of the CCM2 download page : 26.12.2017: The Conquests biq and the CCM2 biq were replaced by bics that fix the Egyptian settler.

Please use that biq until a bigger update of CCM2 with a new biq will be released (what could happen somewhere in the next week).

This update will include all fixes of errors that were reported since the release of CCM2 (many of those reports in the not public CCM2 betatester site), some changes and improvements in gameplay resulting from the playing experiences with the current version of CCM2, changes in the techtree that allow the addition of many new units (mainly ships) in the 'Age of Steam' and the great work done by Takeo in updating the CCM2 civilopedia.

Civinator, do I need the latest main file or just the biq? I'm getting a not responding in 1786 AD playing as the Americans. The American flag is the British Union Jack in my game.??

Tigris of Gaul, you need the latest biq and the latest main file. As a huge update of CCM2 will come soon (I hope somewhere next week) I suggest, that you are waiting for that update. There will be bigger changes in the techtrees of era 2 and 3, allowing an even better game and giviing me the opportunity to add about 70 new ships of the 'Age of Steam'. I hope I can post screenshots about the new techtrees very soon. I´m also allowed to use some new, until now not published, highclass landunits that will become part of CCM2.

About the American flag: Yes, in the current setting of era 2 it is the Union Jack. The flags are era-specific. The explanations are in the CCM2 civilopedia:

Attachments

• USEra-1.jpg
    USEra-1.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 734
  • USEra-2.jpg
    USEra-2.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 729
  • USEra-3.jpg
    USEra-3.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 703
  • USEra-4.jpg
    USEra-4.jpg