Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

How?

How big is your folder, file-size-wise?

Today I did a huge purge of some of my workshop files, down to about 975 workshop items, so I don't know how it was when I had ~1200-1300 files. I do wish it was lower but there are just some things I gotta have. Anyways, currently, with ~975 items it's about 4.1 GB. :dunno:

Tomorrow I'll probably try to do another purge, especially of maps I'm not really using, because I don't need them around I guess, pretty as they may be.

Also, just a warning to others - I think I said this before, but doesn't hurt to say it again - there's apparently a limit on how many files you can subscribe to on steam. It seems to me the number is somewhere between 1200-1300. Once you pass this number, the game will CTD while it's trying to load. There is apparently a roundabout way of avoiding the CTD but I honestly haven't looked into it.

Devs recently did an AMA on reddit, and you can see a list of the relevant questions and answers in this link here. Some highlights, in my opinion:

• Tunnels for pedestrian paths on to-do list
  • Wall-to-wall buildings are map/theme-based and not district policy based as the latter would reduce performance more
  • Trams and bikes are on the devs' radar, so will likely be available at some point the future
  • Next big update is already planned, will have "depth" and stuff that "that actually matters"
  • Plenty of other wishlist items people asked about that the devs have responded positively to but not state that they will include in the future necessarily, such as disasters, weather effects, libraries, taxis, being able to name roads, and so on
  • Some optimization is planned for the next update

Brought it in the steam sale. Have played it a reasonable amount and it seems a little weird how bad the traffic can get even at low population levels. I've just reached 40k and have had to split a junction into two, creating the monstrosity below as previously the traffic jam was backing on to the highway. This is whilst having a subway system as well.

Spoiler :

Brought it in the steam sale. Have played it a reasonable amount and it seems a little weird how bad the traffic can get even at low population levels. I've just reached 40k and have had to split a junction into two, creating the monstrosity below as previously the traffic jam was backing on to the highway. This is whilst having a subway system as well.

Spoiler :

If you plan things properly you can go through the entire game without any serious traffic issues, as I have. Traffic management is probably the most important thing in CS, even more than in SimCity. Most of the time if you're having traffic problems they can be solved. If you're having traffic as early as 40k or below then you're really gonna have to re-develop a lot of area, or else things will get really bad when you get higher populations. From what I can see from your screenshot I think on a very vague, macro level, you seem to be putting way too much pressure in one area so you'll have to figure out a way to divert that traffic elsewhere.

Anyways, I recommend checking out this guide written by a real life traffic engineer that was posted on reddit a while back: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2zv8ft/traffic_engineers_guide_to_traffic_version_2/

It looks like a lot of complicated information to take in, but actually there's really just a few basic ideas you have to remember:

1. Have traffic from smaller roads flow into larger roads, which flow into even larger roads/highways, and so on.
2. If possible don't clog your traffic into a few areas, try to spread them out.
3. Major mass transit systems are most effective when they follow major roads/highways.
4. Bus routes shouldn't go long distances, generally speaking, and should be more like crisscrossing circuits - your citizens can, will, and should be switching bus lanes if necessary. This prevents buses from clogging up areas.
5. Sometimes traffic is caused by having too much of one type of RCI in an area - you might just have to delete a few buildings to fix things up.

If you have a screenshot with an overhead view of your city I can try to draw what I think would be more optimal routes if you're still having traffic problems.

That interchange looks a lot better than anything I've ever built :p

Your city looks really nice, it'd be cool to see some screenshots of the entire thing.

Everything cybrxkhan said, basically. I would add to number 4 to follow the same principle with metro lines. Cims can and do change metro trains, so it's best to keep metro lines small, or maybe have one or two main lines and have a bunch of smaller lines that cross or branch off.

Hard to say anything without knowing the zone layout and the overall city picture, but the main thing that sticks out to me is that any traffic from the left side (or the other way for that matter, really) will be forced onto the highway even if they just want to go up along the coast to the right or to that highschool(i think?) just across the junction. You could create a road connecting the two areas that bypasses the junction and roundabouts completely that might relieve a lot of traffic. When you have areas separated by highways or big roads like this you can often end up with traffic being forced onto the highway only for them to go to the next junction, U-turn and head back again just to get to the other side, unneccesarily clogging up the roundabouts and doubling their impact on highway traffic.

Here is an aerial view although possibly too zoomed out. The red arrows are one way roads. There is one extra off ramp joining the main horizontal highway to the one going south.

Spoiler :

I have added two extra ramps to join the two roundabouts in the first screenshot together. There were some traffic issues in the southern part of the city which I think was partly to do with traffic using it to turn around and then go back.

I think I'll look into reorganising my metro lines tomorrow as only some of the stations actually seem to be used by a decent number of people. The highway in the bottom right isn't really used yet.

Maybe it's because I'm British, but I really hate the look of cities, particularly small ones, with highways running through the middle of them....

Spoiler :

Just some random doodles on what I think I would do here, these things are always much clearer once actually in the game where you can analyze all the factors, so probably a lot of stuff I haven't thought about. But I really love thinking about these traffic layouts, like little dynamically created puzzles, I was probably one of the only people who loved the traffic in CiM2.

On the junction I would typically go for the double raised roundabouts as drawn, they basically do a similar job as the one thats already there, TBH it might actually have lower overall capacity than what you already have, just more compact and a bit cleaner and has always handled my heavy traffic areas (and it's used a lot in my RL local area so I think thats pretty neat). Probably best used if you are planning to expand to the other side of the highway as well as it spreads out the traffic better. When using this in major urban areas you might want to make sure that crossing traffic has other overpasses available so as to not interfere too much with on/off traffic.

Other than that, my changes are mostly trying to push traffic over to the next on-ramp by giving it a closer connection to the northern parts and other directions.

Also I did that little underpass/overpass connecting east/west, which is a bit random, but the sort of thing I like to use a lot, connecting different areas while bypassing the main throughfares for highway traffic. Even if they are just between residential areas they can be very good for service vehicles, school kids, etc., relieving a lot of bottlenecks by preventing "crossing of the streams" too much so to speak.

Drew some random lines on the overall city network as well:
Spoiler :

Just more road connections with between the four major sections of your city avoiding the highway really, that's what my style of building tends towards, I see alot of people do fine when doing it differently though. As long as they are kept well clear of intersecting with major highway traffic they tend to do fine for me, and you can often just add more if they are getting clogged. Blue lines are fuzzy suggestions on the overall network for further expansion. Expanding your city can often actually help traffic by spreading it out and giving more options.

Dang, getting a real hankering for playing skylines right now. Don't know if this advice will be all to helpful once in-game, but it should illustrate some of how I personally think of road networks in the game at least.

Thanks for the advice. At the end of yesterday the traffic situation seemed okay so I'll probably not change that junction for the time being but will look into adding some of the under pass roads. I've avoided doing this so far as I've been concerned that too much traffic would use these joining roads rather than the highway.

On the first screenshot you seem to have the roundabout feeding off onto a highway junction. Do you not get issues where the traffic is stuck at a red light so it quickly ends up backing on to the roundabout? Thats the reason why I've ended up building one way highways immediately after the roundabout to try and mitigate the junction impact.

Maybe it's because I'm British, but I really hate the look of cities, particularly small ones, with highways running through the middle of them....

Yep I have the same issue although to a lesser extent. I grew up in a town of over 30k people where there was a motorway going past on one side but the majority of the town used single lane roads.

Thanks for the advice. At the end of yesterday the traffic situation seemed okay so I'll probably not change that junction for the time being but will look into adding some of the under pass roads. I've avoided doing this so far as I've been concerned that too much traffic would use these joining roads rather than the highway.
This is one aspect that cities skylines traffic is very good at, calculating travel time for each trip. On highways, higher speeds, fewer intersections and less slowdowns in traffic, all of which the AI takes into account pretty well means that a decently connected highway system will still be used by almost all longer distance trips even though you may have more direct medium arteries between those points. Having medium arteries connecting pretty much everything in addition to a good highway system ensures that the traffic distributes much more evenly between them rather than having 70% of traffic being shoved into the same few highway entrance/exits.

On the first screenshot you seem to have the roundabout feeding off onto a highway junction. Do you not get issues where the traffic is stuck at a red light so it quickly ends up backing on to the roundabout? Thats the reason why I've ended up building one way highways immediately after the roundabout to try and mitigate the junction impact.
On roundabouts where that is an issue, I use on-ramps of a decent buffer length for all entrances and exits of the roundabout, might even use highways as you did. With these things the most effective way to brute-force more capacity is often to make it longer and bigger with a larger buffer, rather than adding more lanes. Finding ways to distribute the traffic in more directions can also help.

Here's my take on things to compliment/contrast with what trader/warrior said (I dunno how much you've changed since then but hopefully this will still apply):

Spoiler :

Yellow for suggested highways and red for potential ramps.

One big issue I'm seeing is that there seems to be a limited number of ramps leading in and out of your zones onto the highways. This will likely cause traffic because, as you may figure out by now, your cars will be forced to go to only a few. Ideally, placing a few more ramps will reduce the pressure on these points; do note however that you have to be careful, because it's possible pressure might shift towards other areas as well, so you'll have to monitor the situation and remove/add in more ramps as necessary.

The dotted yellow line is my personal suggestion for a new highway. Also to alleviate some pressure on the smaller roads in that area. Since you got a semi-big road there already any bulldozing and re-doing of the area shouldn't be too drastic.

I know this is a bit different than trader/warrior's advice, since he seems to prefer a style that relies less on highways, but as he suggests this isn't an exact science so there are different ways to handle the issue (on a macro and micro level) so experiment and see what works for you. I agree with trader/warrior's analysis that you have too few paths connecting between your city's different zones, overall, though, so the main thing is to make sure you're not putting unnecessary pressure in a few areas, and finding ways to divert traffic elsewhere as necessary.

Also, from experience and what I've heard, roundabouts aren't that effective in CS as they are in real life - I honestly have never realy used them other than for aesthetic reasons. In theory you can get by in a city without roundabouts or one-way roads if you plan things right (I don't really use one-way roads a lot and I usually upgrade my four ways to six way roads for aesethic reasons).

I did end up building the solid yellow highway but didn't add the red highway intersections. Instead I built a gigantic insection where the yellow highway meets the two existing highways and where the freight station is. It seemed to sort of work but looks very ugly so I've started a new city where I'm trying to build more highway off ramps and more link roads so that traffic isn't forced to join the highway all in the same place.

One way round this I've found is that you can make highways underground and then only the on ramps are visible. In the city below there is a highway underground running from the industrial zone to eventually meet up with the above ground highway behind where the picture was taken. The roundabout to the left joins to the second highway ready for future expansion.

Spoiler :

Expanded the city a bit further whilst building one more underground highway. The city has reached a population of 70k without the same traffic issues of my last city although the intersection in the middle of the image is pretty busy. I've been building lots more off ramps and there are pedestrian walkways crisscrossing the main residential and commercial districts.

Spoiler :

Reached a population of 100k. Some roads are pretty busy but so far the city hasn't ground to a halt.

View of the most built up area in the west:

Spoiler :

Close up of the rail line that runs round the western half of the city. There is a subway station there as well.

Spoiler :

Zoomed out view of the city.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom