1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by cybrxkhan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Yeah, Capitalism 2 is a totally different creature, the loan thing is the only thing in common with CiM2 really, and then still quite different as Capitalism is even more realistic while CiM2 does it much more smoothly and a lot simpler. One thing I think CiM2 does much better in this regard is that it has regular downpayments which gives a whole new dimension to managing your debt and also makes for less micromanagement.

If anyone should get the urge to play it however, I would recommend the new expansion called Capitalism Lab. The original creators tweaks and alterations built up over many years and released a year or so ago. Be warned that the company making it is now mainly a mobile and "casual" game developer who have opted for online DRM and poor sales and little attention probably means it has an uncertain future. But the new features and tweaks make the game so much more playable and interesting that it is worth it IMO, but again I'm a sucker for this sort of game.

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I bought Capitalism II on Gamersgate awhile back. Haven't played it yet, though. I can definitely see it being a game where a manual would help. What I have played is Stardock's Corporate Machine, from 2001. While somewhat arcade-y, it's not easy. And the manual definitely was essentially to understanding what's going on. Admittedly in part due to a not-so-great UI, but also in part due to the concepts.

trader/warrior, what sort of DRM does Capitalism Lab have? I've found that games with too annoying of DRM I tend to not play with so many other options without the hassle (ex. DiRT with its Games for Windows Live DRM), so that's certainly a factor. "Online DRM" certainly doesn't sound promising. If it's Assassin's Creed II style with always-on, I'll definitely skip.

I do think there's a place for extended transportation management in a Sim City style game. Maybe not mandatory, but I've often thought over the years with SC3K and SC4 that it would be cool to be able to create subway and bus routes. You can sorta simulate that with the subway route layouts, but not as much as London actually having, say, the Hammersmith and City Line and the Piccadilly Line. And that is part of actual city management - if not the city itself, its transportation department is creating bus and subway lines to most efficiently serve the city.

Edit: With regards to loans being beneficial, that can be the case in Railroad Tycoon II, too. The loans have to be used to build sufficiently profitable routes, but it's definitely possible for it to work out long-term.

As for Sim City 4, I'd encourage someone to take up the challenge I've set up in the Sim City 4 succession succession to test that hypothesis. So far the city is growing like a beanstalk, but the spectre of Detroit is definitely on the horizon. Whether the city shows that taking out obscene amounts of debt winds up being beneficial or terrible remains up in the air. As Peck of Arabia describes:

[/shameless advertising. but we really do need more mayors, please volunteer!]

3. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

It's basically an online check at startup, you have to log into an account at the start of the game. The process itself is quick and easy, but there seems to be no offline mode for this singleplayer game. I did just try disconnecting my internet and it started up fine, but I think that has to do with me logging in properly a couple of minutes before, so no constant internet connection required at least.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

The first dev diary is up, talks about roads and stuff. Mostly basic features any modern city building game should have, but I'm very excited nonetheless. They also mentioned in another thread that tomorrow they'll be having a live stream at 19:00 cest.

Anyways, link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802639-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads

And dev diary text for those who can't access PI forums or are too lazy to:

5. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Sounds pretty good! I especially like the freedom with highways. Sounds much improved from Sim City 4 (and let's not mention SC5 where you can't build them at all). But the regular roads sound pretty versatile, too. The elevated roads, bus bays, and decorative options are all nice touches.

On the wishlist, I wonder if they'll have sunken roads as well as elevated ones? As in, not tunnels, but below the usual ground level in an area. There's one of them where I live with a shopping area on top of it from which you might well not even know you're over a road, and they're building another one as well for traffic flow reasons. There are pillars to support what's above the road, but it's easier to place pillars to support the buildings around the roads than pillars to support the road around buildings (hopefully the elevated roads do allow some building underneath, even if somewhat limited).

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I've never played CiM (actually had a free trial for doing a survey, but I forgot to install it and it expired :(), but it sounds like they are using their experience with more realistic mass transit and traffic models to build this from the ground up (like the bus ports).

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

The devs said on the forums (or was it the reddit AMA?) that they're trying to build a simulation and then have the rest of the game, such as the visuals, based on that, rather than make a game and then make the simulation based on such constraints like other city builders. I think their experience with CiM will definitely come in handy here, as long as they don't make things too complicated, but my impression is that they're aware of this and finding a good balance.

8. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

I have to admit, this really looks pretty exciting. Hope it can live up to it's potential :)

9. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I watched the live stream yesterday. I'm really like the look of this game so far.

I just have to remember that I shouldn't get annoyed if this doesn't have everything we've wanted in a city builder since SC4!

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Saw the stream too, I'm really impressed. Frankly, my impression is if they released the game in its alpha state now, it'll at worst be comparable to the new SimCity after they got their servers fixed. Actually, I think it'd probably be better.

Indeed. The comparisons to SimCity are inevitable, both the good (to SC4) and the bad (recent DimCity), but I think the devs are trying their best to have something that SimCity veterans will feel comfortable with, but not be simply a clone.

I haven't been this excited for an actual game in a while. I think the only game that would top my excitement levels for this would be TES VI.

11. calad

calad Emperor

Simcity4 still sounds superior.

12. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

At this stage, from what they're promising, I think this is going to be even better than SimCity 4. The only downside I've heard so far is that regions are confirmed to not be in the game, though the huge map sizes (36 km^2) partly make up for it.

13. calad

calad Emperor

No night time.

14. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I guess there's that too, though IMO nighttime in SC4 never looked all that great anyway.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Who cares about nighttime anyway? You play on a scale of weeks days and years, why the need for the sun to go down in a simulation running on such a scale?

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Night time would be a nice feature, but it's not as important some of the core mechanics they're dealing with. At the minimum, my impression it will more or less be on par with SomCity 4 in that regard.

Though I do want night time eventually, even if in a future expansion or something - the night time in SimCity 4 was kinda meh, but I did like seeing the sunsets and sunrises.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

New dev diary on zoning: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?804803-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-2-Zoning

Basically nothing that revolutionary or new for a city builder, but I'm not complaining. Some users on the forum are voicing a desire for medium density, which I agree with, but I think the devs have mentioned elsewhere that they might do that.

18. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I think Paradox may be onto something here.

19. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

If the way buildings develop and level up is well made and getting your buildings to high levels is challenging enough, I can see how medium density would be unneccesary. A citybuilder where you are preventing better development rather than encouraging it is really missing it's mark a bit. However diversity in zoning options is also something I was hoping for, we'll see how it turn out I guess.

20. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

People keep asking for mixed zoning too, as in shops with houses above them. I would be a nice feature but I can live without. As for the people wanting medium density again it would be nice but I don't mind to much as we can have some control on building leveling using districts (seen people mention it but haven't found the details myself) that I guess will be applied like the zones in CiM2.

My only real issue is that the big skyscrapers etc will only be ploppable and not grow spontaneously from zoning, or at least thats how I understand it.