1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by cybrxkhan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. calad

calad Emperor

Since there is no medium zone anymore I wonder are there "steps" in low and high density areas. It sounds too plain that low density areas are private houses and high density are flats, skycrapers... are there skycrapers in game?

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

My guess is the size and density of buildings will be determined by the size of your city. If you zone high density areas in a village, you're not going to get skyscrapers.. in a mid-sided town, you might start seeing medium density stuff.. and in a larger city skyscrapers would pop up.

I'm 100% guessing, but with only 2 types of zones, that's how I would do it.

3. calad

calad Emperor

But I want to have a city of one skyscrapper surrounded by farm :cry:

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Reminds me of the Simcity4 town where I put the mayor's house and a church inside a crater and turned the people into devil-worshippers.

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I'm paraphrasing here, but the devs mentioned somewhere (can't find the thread/post where I saw it) that what would be considered medium density would depend on the situation. What I mean is that for instance in low density you could have both family houses and small apartment buildings, but the latter would appear in certain situations.

Oh goodness, that sounds exactly like the kind of SC4 hilarity i miss.

6. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

I'm still wondering about commute algorithm. Main problem I had with SimCity 4.

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

The devs have mentioned several times that they intend to make CS' simulation heavy, so every car going somewhere will be an actual car going somewhere, rather than just an abstraction. I dunno how this will influence the commute algorithm though.

Anyways, third dev diary up, on natural resources. Reminds me of cities XL's natural resources a bit, though it seems a bit more complex. Besides the farms being a bit too small, no complaints yet, as I'm still trying to process how exactly this system will work. Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...es-Skylines-%96-Dev-Diary-3-Natural-resources

And for those too lazy to go to the link:

8. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Thanks for these updates, cybrxkhan! I'm very interested in this game but I always see updates on this thread because I'll otherwise forget about it.

9. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Glad to be of service!:goodjob:

10. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Sounds fairly good, and I like that it sounds like you don't have to manually manage trading resources. Essentially you zone for a certain type of industrial development, and the resources themselves remain privately owned. Cool, as long as you don't plan to emulate Venezuela.

Seems kind of odd that the effect of organic farming is healthier food, though. I would've expected less water pollution downstream from the farms instead.

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

New dev diary up, on outside connections (i.e. tourism/monuments and import/export of resources). Also they've changed the UI. Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ties-Skylines-Dev-Diary-5-Outside-Connections

And text copypasta (huge pics warning):

Spoiler :

12. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I assume there is still a lot of work elft to do with the graphics, because those images are kind of painful to look at with all the jaggies, fuzzy blur and did I mention the blurry jaggies?

13. Leonel

You jerk, cybrxkhan! You missed posting the mass transit update and I trusted you maaaaan! :cry:

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I think you can turn the blur on or off. The graphics and interface are still a WIP, as they've already gone through several changes already. They've stated they're aware the graphics aren't the best but they will do their best to get it to a satisfactory level, so we shall see. Though personally at the moment I think it's better than cities XL and just a tad bit worse than SimCity overall (though better thanSimCity's in terms of not looking as cartoonish, in my opinion)

Oh yeah... I forgot that one for some reason. :mischief:

15. Quintillus

Nice post. The public transit one sounds interesting, too. Probably more interesting than this one, actually.

I didn't notice the graphics (in a negative way) until Maniacal's post, so I guess that means they're sufficient for me. Looking in more detail now, the blur effect is noticeable... which is actually kind of odd. At first I thought, "oh, they just have the camera focused on a certain building, so the background's blurred... you could probably get some really nice bokeh with the right zoom and angle". Then I realized this is a video game where things usually are perfectly crisp, not an optical camera. So, in a way, it's almost more realistic due to the blur, but I can see why it might not be universally popular.

The quote copypasta could probably use a spoiler and 56K warning, though. It made my appreciate my 30 Mbps Internet and 1920x1200 monitor, but sadly not everyone has those yet. I'm glad I wasn't viewing it on my 1280x800 laptop (16:10 forever).

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Actually yes a spoiler would probably be useful. I've added that in.

17. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

I said this over on the PDX forum but I'm not so keen on the idea of the wonders fulfilling one need for the entire city.

I would rather they had a really large range and a very strong effect that tailed off with range but never decreased to zero on a city wide level.

18. Quintillus

Yeah, that could wind up being a bummer. If a wonder, say, eliminated crime for the entire city, that would break both the balance and the realness.

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

And here's your next CS dev diary, concerning the map editor. LInk: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?822199-Cities-Skylines-%96-Dev-Diary-6-Map-Editor

Looks like it does the job for, well, map editing. Hopefully we'll get more climate themes in the future.

Spoiler :

20. Leonel

I am EXTREMELY pleased to see that not only will they allow for height-map importing but also different levels of water. :D