1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by cybrxkhan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

And here we have the first devo diary of the new year, on several aspects of the game simulation. Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?828492-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-6-Simulation

Spoiler :

So interesting thing tom to note is that the game will be doing the reverse of what a lot of coty builders do in that instead of overexaggerating the number of citizens theyll do the opposite.

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I can't wait until they do the AA and less blur dev blog.

3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I normally think anti-aliasing and such are over-rated, but I have to agree with Maniacal - the rough edges are *really* obvious in these screenshots, and do detract from the sense of a city.

The underexagerrating of the number of citizens is interesting. I'm not sure it's the right answer, but it's interesting. It sounds like essentially they're trying to make the big city feel of Sim City 4, but still have the individual simulation of Sim City 5. And rather than lying about things, they're just going to have a low population number. But presumably the economics would still work out in terms of revenue and such. The individual mechanics will be cool (and would've been cool in Sim City 5 if they had actually existed to a substantial degree and worked, rather than people just working at whatever employer was closest and having garbage truck traffic jams). The sense of a big city may be damaged by this option, though, so the individual mechanics will have to prove worth it. Will it still feel like a big city with skyscrapers if the population is only 20,000? I don't know yet.

I don't doubt that it's computationally intensive, though. I remember playing Tropico on a 450 MHz Pentium II back in the day, and having 400-500 citizens, and how that noticeably affected performance. Computers are a lot more powerful today, but 18,000 is still a lot more than 400-500, too. And as you add more businesses, too, and thus more choices for the citizens (not to mention traffic, which it sounds like Cities: Skylines is going all-out on), it would require more processing time per citizen. So while it's be great if you could have 200,000 people instead of 20,000, I can see why they're targeting what they are.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Devs have mentioned elsewhere that the blur effect is optional, though I dunno why those screenshots look so rough. Maybe the screenshots were taken on a low-end computer? :dunno:

5. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

NOOOOO I WAS SUPPOSED TO POST THAT. :(

More seriously, though, I'm liking what I see with the policies. Always liked making unique neighborhoods in my SC4 cities - say, I'd have the Asian high rise neighborhoods, the generic America suburbia neighborhoods, and so on - so the policy system will certianly make it easier to make them even more unique.

7. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

It had been up for like a whole day so I assumed you had missed it. :p

It would be awesome if for example a modder could make a chinatown model pack and you could then set a district to favor those buildings.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

That'd be a pretty good idea. Usually with city builders if you don't place the culture-specific buildings manually, they end up popping all over the place randomly. For instance in SC4 one of my most favorite building mods were a set of semi-traditional Japanese houses. So I'd end up getting weird neighborhoods where you see some tradiitonal Japanese house, some two-family house pulled straight of generic America suburbia, and a French villa right next to each other, and cool as that is, it's weird seeing that all over the place.

9. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

You have failed me for the last time...

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I got the new dev diary this time, folks! :D

So it's basically just about all the info views available in the game. Basic city builder stuff, of course, but if you look at the screenshots you might notice a few hints at other things - for instance in the last screenshot we have what appears to be a pedestrian bridge.

Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?833752-Cities-Skylines-%96-Dev-Diary-9-Info-Views

Spoiler :

There's also a youtube video they released a while back showing some game footage they were gonna put into an upcoming trailer but scrapped, nothing really amazing but interesting nonetheless to see how the game is coming along:

Link to video.

EDIT:

A few other things the devs mentioned in the thread on the PI forums:

- You can change the color of buses, which basically means you can assign different bus lines different colors
    - No school buses implemented (as of currently), but underaged students will walk or take public transport to school; young adult students may drive or take public transport depending on what's more useful in their circumstances
    - Building's radii of effect are not just circles per se, the road network also plays a role
    - Player-owned (i.e. government service?) buildings can be shut down

11. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Something else that was confirmed in the thread was that there would be no "rush hour" and the everyone would just go a do the stuff they needed to at what ever time wanted/needed to. This is a bit of a disappointment to be honest as a major part of urban infrastructure planning is creating a system that can cope with larger (yet predictable) changes in infrastructure and service use.

Still the game looks good and I'm looking forward to some more live streaming of it!

12. Maniacal

This will make city designs very interesting, since a lot of the suburban cul-de-sacs and other 'artistic' road layouts force a reliance upon cars and in poor areas play a big role in poor health since they can make it take longer to walk or even drive to places.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

An official release date has been announced - March 10. A bit sooner than I expected, actually, I was thinking it was gonna be closer to summer, but whatever. They also have a release date trailer on youtube, which doesn't show a lot of new things except for what appears to be an in-game park editor/creator/thingy tool, but it does show us what the game will probably look like on release.

Also, the game will cost $30 like promised - pre-ordering gives you a few recreational buildings; for $40, the deluxe edition, you get 5 world monuments and a few other miscellaneous things. I'm not preordering, but I'm glad to know this is way cheaper than SimCity 2013.

14. Maniacal

March 10th? Damn, way too soon. Oh well I probably will just pick it up at the winter sale anyway. Really looking forward to it but not ready to buy another game yet.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Also, I'd like to point out to anyone thinking of buying early to buy the game from Greenmangaming, since it's likely you can get it off 20-25% depending on which voucher they have available (GMG always has a 20-25% off voucher), I believe preorders should work with the voucher. GMG will likely have the lowest overall price for the game until the steam summer sale.

16. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

March! I'm very surprised. I was thinking may or june for the polish time I guessed it needed.

17. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Sips just released an Evening With Sips episode featuring Cities: Skylines in anybody wants to see the gameplay in action. Looks like an excellent game!

Trigger Warning: Language
    Spoiler :

18. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I don't think it's too soon honestly. It was first announced last year around August 2014 and it was probably in development for a bit before then. Plus it seems to play similarly to how you laid out roads in the Cities in Motion 2 map editor so that was probably their base model or whatever.

19. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Thanks for the link, I'll watch that eventually...

Yeah, I'm not complaining much (other than the fact that I'm worried my rig might only barely handle it), it seemed to be in a pretty playable state already by the tijme they had their first stream months ago. I think it probably has been in development at least around the time SimCity 2013 was announced, as the devs indicated they were originally hoping to release a new, cool citybuilder franchise when there wasn't a SimCity 2013, were discouraged when SimCity 2013 came out because they thought their product was gonna suck in comparison, then breathed a sigh of relief when SimCity 2013 messed up so bad that trolling SimCity is an important component of their currently marketing plan.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

New dev diary about the three themes/biomes available in the game. It's more eye candy than anything, but who cares.

Link for the lazy: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?836498-Cities-Skylines-%96-Dev-Diary-10-Themes

Spoiler :

I believe the devs have mentioned somewhere that though the base game will only have these three, they're more than willing to add more if there is demand for them in the future. Hopefully they will, and hopefully it'll be easy to add in new biomes anyways.