City Combat guide. Any eyes out there.

awesome thx @Victoria

after all this time I still can learn new stuff on civfanatics :)

Always wondered why sometimes i was able to siege with only 3 units and sometimes not... never occured to me that ZOC has an impact

great guide btw... did not notice any errors or omissions

@Victoria ok well actually maybe you should add in the fact that naval range units can be used for long distance attacks and naval melee units for melee attacks when the city is coastal ?

I'm sure you assumed everyone knows, but hey :)

• When a city is captured, all units within it are destroyed.
Unless the unit is a Builder or a Settler, when they become the property of the captor. (I think this is still true for both, it's certainly still true for Builder).

Excellent guide, btw.

Last edited:
I think this is still true for both, it's certainly still true for Builder).
What version are you playing. I have capture many cities with builders since June and not got one. I have to rely on anecdotal evidence but it seems not anymore... if you dispute it maybe we whip up a thread unless others can confirm they can still capture builders.

What version are you playing. I have capture many cities with builders since June and not got one. I have to rely on anecdotal evidence but it seems not anymore... if you dispute it maybe we whip up a thread unless others can confirm they can still capture builders.
Hmm, I seem to recall capturing a builder on capturing a city since June, but I'm not at all certain.

I believe it depends if you wipe the civ out or not. If the city capture wipes the civ, this event I believe happens first, which would wipe any remaining units (ie builders).

I will be watching out for this in my next game. I am fairly sure I took over a Builder in my last game, but not 100% certain.

I took a Settler last game, but no builders.

BTW, great guide. Nice read..

Last edited by a moderator:
I did take city a few hours ago with a builder inside and got no builder.

Took it with ironclad in atomic era if that's useful.

Also naval ranged do not suffer -17%?
Naval ranged don't have the -17 penalty; their attacks seem to be a hybrid of ranged (when attacking land units) and bombard (when attacking naval and defenses.)
It's why frigates & Bships are so soul crushing.
In your guide it currently has a slightly oddly worded line about that - "naval ranged gets -50% but does not suffer the -17 penalty." Is the implication that walls apply a hidden % dmg reduction, but naval units send in their attacks at their full strength value while ranged units make it at half strength, which then gets further reduced?

In your guide it currently has a slightly oddly worded line about that - "naval ranged gets -50% but does not suffer the -17 penalty." Is the implication that walls apply a hidden % dmg reduction, but naval units send in their attacks at their full strength value while ranged units make it at half strength, which then gets further reduced?
Yes, all ranged gets their damaged halved. But land ranged also attack at -17 while navy does not.

So +30 is a good example as it is roughly 100HP of damage. This is a 400HP wall (rebelled urban defences)... and my battleship is estimated to do roughly 50HP damage not 100. hence -50% damage.
You OK with that or need something clearer? It the wording bad? It says "Naval ranged is at -50% damage but does not suffer -17 ranged strength. Naval melee works like land melee against cities."
How should I change?.. Nice to know there was something you were not aware of :)
upload_2019-8-19_0-58-15.png
upload_2019-8-19_1-2-35.png

Here it is after firing the battleship, the combat log only shows the garrison damage, not the wall damage which is annoying but at least this makes is clear.
upload_2019-8-19_1-5-39.png

Last edited:
You OK with that or need something clearer? It the wording bad?
I knew walls had invisible % damage reduction, I just never mentally connected that ranged units' -17 was distinct from the 50% penalty; because -17 is -50%.
You may want to just very clearly state that there is an invisible damage reduction component to walls that isn't shown on the combat preview - because walls have non standard amounts of health, it may not be obvious that it is happening twice to ranged units.

I have no mods. I do not get builders on city capture but I'm pretty certain I always capture a settler if one is hiding inside.

Top Bottom