City State Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auckland = 1
Buenos Aires = 15 (14+1) on even par with Zanzibar.
Muscat = 0 (2-3) - ELIMINATED - can't have top 3 all Amenity CS.
Zanzibar = 25

Auckland = 1
Buenos Aires = 15 (14+1) production and happiness
Zanzibar = 22 (25-3) production, food and gold... from extra trade routes with Carthage are better

Auckland = 1 - 3 = ELIMINATED (Probably better than Buenos Aires but Vikings only)
Buenos Aires = 15
Zanzibar = 22 + 1 = 23 (Definitely the best left and probably deserving of top 5 but Carthage is far superior)

Buenos Aires = 12 (15-3) upvoted it last time for being better than all the others then left except Zanzibar. But Zanzibar is all that's left, and it's the best.
Zanzibar = 24 (23+1) can't beat 12 amenities

I'm somewhat mystified by the degree to which the amenity CS have dominated this thread. Certainly, they're all above average city states that do a job and do it well, but to have them make spots 1, 2 and 3 as easily as they did would seem to imply that amenities are a truly dominant force in controlling the game, and I don't think anyone's really made that argument, nor has it been my experience in game. I do wonder if their success is partly an artifact of the voting format (with its heavier weighting of downvotes than upvotes), since their bonuses are generic enough (unlike, say, Carthage) not to illicit many strongly negative opinions, and any downvotes towards amenity suzerain bonuses in general had to be divided three ways (I suspect that a lot of the downvotes Muscat got late in the thread would have gone to Zanzibar or Buenos Aires instead if Muscat hadn't been there).

Anyway, regardless of how these CS got where they are, I think its relatively easy to put them in the right order. With only 10 bonus resources in the entire game, it's really hard to get to a position where Buenos Aires' distribution flexibility is enough to balance out Zanzibar's raw numbers.

Buenos Aires = 6 (9 - 3)
Zanzibar = 26 (25 + 1)

I'm somewhat mystified by the degree to which the amenity CS have dominated this thread. Certainly, they're all above average city states that do a job and do it well, but to have them make spots 1, 2 and 3 as easily as they did would seem to imply that amenities are a truly dominant force in controlling the game, and I don't think anyone's really made that argument, nor has it been my experience in game. I do wonder if their success is partly an artifact of the voting format (with its heavier weighting of downvotes than upvotes), since their bonuses are generic enough (unlike, say, Carthage) not to illicit many strongly negative opinions, and any downvotes towards amenity suzerain bonuses in general had to be divided three ways (I suspect that a lot of the downvotes Muscat got late in the thread would have gone to Zanzibar or Buenos Aires instead if Muscat hadn't been there).

I think it's a combination of extra amenities being helpful for all victory conditions on all levels of play (they are helpful even on deity where you might have a difficult time getting great people and wonders), and the fact that all the amenities CS's happen to all be implemented in a way that the suzerain bonus is basically all you need. I.e. Zanzibar - bam you, just get the amenities as soon as you are suzerain. For Buenos Aires you have likely already developed bonus resources. And for Muscat, commercial districts are the most popular district. You don't need to be building encampments or sending trade routes to city states to get the bonus, it's just there (likely this helped Stockholm and Auckland as well).

Buenos Aires = Eliminated (3 - 3)
Zanzibar = 28 (27 + 1) - Winner!

Not thrilled with how this one turned out - I think it's pretty far off. Mohenjo Daro also has an instant bonus and it finished 14?? Carthage and that one should both be in the top 5. I think most people just voted for production and commercial city states and downvoted the other ones automatically. Military city states also give production and were heavily undervalued in this poll. I think some people (me included) were under the impression that Buenos Aires gave more than +1 amenity per bonus resource so that one got a lot of early upvotes.

Moderator Action: With Zanzibar's victory, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom