Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

One design per challenge, and it must fit within the specified time period. There are many other design challenges if you're interested in submitting further designs, but for each challenge only one entry is allowed, and the rules of this challenge require the submissions to fall within a certain time period.
I don't force anyone to implement these ideas. All purely voluntary :c5faith:.

I don't force anyone to implement these ideas. All purely voluntary :c5faith:.

No-one's saying anything about implementation of the ideas, but rather about the rules of the Design Challenge.

Do we want to vote now? Nobody yell at me.

I think I'll go with Natan, mostly on the merit of the Printing House. I remember playing single player how much fun it was to get theming bonuses, and I like the idea of a reward for that. It's all around a fun building, and the UI is also fun. UA is my least favorite unique of the three just because I rarely keep conquering after I have the capital. All the rest though is quite nice and definitely synergetic. Close second is Dudewiththefood but my vote goes to Natan.

Nah, he can't.

(Usually, the Challenge's host doesn't vote. I can't decide for him, but thats how it is in the other challenges...)

I'd say maintaining the precedent is preferable. No vote, Natan?

I'm voting for Natan. His was more developed and I liked it quite a lot...

I'm voting for Dudewiththefood. There were many interesting design, but (as always, unfortunately) they were OP. People, try to remember that there are many things that have never been implemented for a reason. And that reason is because they're OP.

(For Example, the Khwarazm civ has a UB that gives +1 culture from each hill tile worked by the city. This could be insane in the late game, with the ton of modifiers you'd get. The Majaphit civ has a stackable GG bonus: 45% modifier is insane. That makes most units stronger than the unit their upgrade into)

Khwarazm civ has a UB that gives +1 culture from each hill tile worked by the city.
DISCLAIMER: I considered making this Desert Hills but then I debated whether that was worth it. Probably would have balanced it out a bit.

Also, if Firaxis didn't do OP then the impi would not exist

Also, if Firaxis didn't do OP then the impi would not exist

I think you misspelled "camel archer" as "impi".
And also, Firaxis designs aren't very interesting or good. The interesting ones-- Venice and Indonesia-- are also underwhelming and not useful for the most part. The powerful ones-- Babylon, or England, or the Huns-- are obscenely overpowered and poorly balanced, on top of being rather boring.
I'd say the sweet spot civs, civs with interesting abilities that also make sense in their own context and that also have usefulness without too heavy overpowering, would be IMO the Maya or Brazil, or something like this. But eh, it's not super important.

I don't think +1 :c5culture: on desert hills is that OP. Maybe the fact it comes directly from the start of the game would be. However +1 :c5culture: from ALL hills, ALL game is quite quite powerful. Still a nice design though, it isn't game breaking or anything.

By matter of votes and dates. Natan wins this competition. Natan, will you please bestow us a challenge that will stand the tests of time?

Going with a more open challenge this time...

The time I choose is World War I(1914- 1918).

Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of Ukraine
Leader: Nestor Makhno
Capital: Huilaipole
UA: Liberty or Death - all modern-era units require a copy of the unique Munitions resource to build. Barracks, Armories and Military Bases provide +2 Munitions each. Capturing enemy cities nets large Munitions caches (anywhere between 6 and 18 munitions). +1 production when building military units.
UU: Tachanka - The Tachanka is a gatling gun replacement. It costs slightly more but has 3 range instead of 2, and is capable of retreating. Does not require Munitions.
UU: Black Guard - the Black Guard Cell does not replace any other unit. It does not require munitions, is available at replaceable parts, is very cheap yet also comparatively weak. Black Guards are also capable of “paradropping” into enemy territory only (Simulating an anarchist uprising.

Uh that UA provides literally 0 bonus

It's more of a penalty, really.

Top Bottom