1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Design Challenge III - Alternate History

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by NiaoMeow, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige Chieftain

Its cool, just wanted to use Hispania...too few Visigoths to effectively displace the Hispano-Romans...sorry.

2. Howard Tafty

Howard Tafty Minister-Chairman

Any chance this thread will come back to life soon?

3. NiaoMeow

NiaoMeow Ximicacan? XIMICACAN?

Cheeky Howard, making me write a couple sentences. :p

Anyway, the winner of this challenge is Howard Tafty!

Please P.M. me your scenario whenever you can!

This time, the scenario is both open-ended and a hoax!

You must make a civilization based upon this article. In your timeline, the city "found" must have existed and had some sort of influence on your civ. You may also make a civ and story based upon that city. You can all thank Hoop Thrower for finding this wonderful piece of "news".

4. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Woah thats really cool

5. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

I already know what I'm going to do with this...

6. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

Here we go!

Excerpt from "The Fort and The City - How an Australian Scout started a nation", by Thomas Clarke.

Excerpt from "Unique Nations and their History", by Philip Andersen.

And we're off!

7. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

Before I get eliminated, are mythical civs allowed as long as the prompt is still used somehow?

8. NiaoMeow

NiaoMeow Ximicacan? XIMICACAN?

Yes, mythical civs will be allowed for this challenge.

9. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Hmmm... Thats interesting, yet obscure. Well:

"We already know how are ancestors got here", said the professor, "But do we know how did they survive in this harsh environment? The control of this dark, forgotten land was contested between many empires across the ages. Many people died battling for the right to live here, as we all do now. But how does such a fertile empire grow on such a poor soil? It would never be possible without the help of the Ulurid empire, who facilitated the massive migration to this coastal str"

"Nonsense". Said Langley, everyone's favorite student. "Uluru is deep into the Australian continent. Any people that might have lived there would have died by the time Indonesians started immigrating to Australia."

"No, they won't." replied the professor. "The Ulurid empire.."
    Langley laughed.
    "Well, unless you have a better name, I'll suggest you keep your mouth shut, young man. Anyway, Makanji the first recognized the need in additional food sources for his empire. He had a plan: He ordered his rebellious son to lead an expedition to find a great source of water. In what took nearly a year of his life, Norky, who was regent, managed to take control of a kingdom of his own: He found a city in the far north, inhabited by warlike yet superstitious people. He killed their king in a dual and took his place. These people were much different to the Ulurids: they ate various sea foods, as he wrote:

Sea foods were regullary sent to the Ulurid capital. This city and its people were integrated into the empire after Norky's death, joined by other cities he founded nearby. Years later, new people started wandering on the coast. Those were the Indonesians, who were Buddhist at the time. They started preaching in Ulurid colonies on the coast. Soon, the Ulurid king converted. This was a major turning point in Australian history, which initiated the massive immigration of Indonesians to the Australian island. Many camps were established along the northern coast, and Indonesian traders were now a common sight in the Ulurid city centers.

Taking advantage of this move, at 1328 the Ulurid king decided to tax hunting profits. The taxes were very high, and soon Indonesian traders stopped trading in Ulurid cities. The king, furious with their reaction, decided to attack archipelago

This trigerred a reaction from the Majaphit empire, who ruled Indonesia at the time. Gajah mada, a military commander, was given the task of "making them pay" for ruining the camps. And they did pay:

Majaphit retained control of the coast. The Ulurid empire, who lost its main food source now lost its importance. Its crafts were buried under the burning sand, and their rich culture has drown in the dark sea of greediness... Though Gajah made didn't born the main colony, the place of Norky's crowning. He retained it with permission from his king. He was nowmtasked with restoring this place to its former might. The dynasty he established continued to rule the area for a long time, slowly expanding over the coastal strip. Hunters were encouraged to move up north, where they established camps which later served as staging ground for attacks on the Indonesian archipelago:

Those raids made the Mada dynasty even richer. They were feared among the various kingdoms of the Archipelago, which now paid tribute to the Kingdom. Those who didn't pay were constantly attacked by pirates. The arrival of the Dutch didn't change the situation much: the Mada dynasty now installed cannons on their ships, making them even more powerful.

Rumors of the mighty Mada kingdom spread in Europe: They were present in most of the maps of the 17th century. This led British to sign a secret pact with them, as they shared a common enemy: The Dutch, who started taking down Mada's tributaries and were fighting the Brits for some time now. Eventually, after 7 years, in the end of a month long siege Jakarta finally fell to the allied forces. The Mada kings now returned to the ancinet Indonesian throne. But the war wasn't over yet, as the Muslim population soon rebelled against the Buddhist conquerors. The rebellion was initially successful: The tired Mada forces weren't ready to fight another war, many ships were injured, and the war consumed most of the tribute money. All of those factors lead to the establishment of the Anglonesian Commonwealth, which made the Mada kingdom a British protectorate but ensured their survival and control of the area.

But many cities were ruined and the people were divided. In order to fix the situation, the new king Susilo Mada II decided to pacify the population in the conquered areas by supplying them with the precious sea foods. This proved successful, and the demand for this precious creature massively increased so that at 1742, there was a mosque in most of the Hunter colonies on the coast. The trade brought huge profits to the Mada kingdom, and made it one of the strongest countries in the world. Co- operating with the British, they even managed to found colonies in Siam and Malaysia. This gave them control of the trade in the Indonesian archipelago and expanded their vast trade network to India and China, and by the time the world war started they were also trading with Japan and Russia. While they were one of the few neutral countries at the first world war, they were massively involved at the second, as the Japanese fleet started attacking Anglonesian cargo ships and gave financial support to rebel groups within the commonwealth. The war shut down most of the worldwide trade, resulting in massive profit reduction at the war's first years. While most of the Archipelago was captured, pirate raids supported by the Britain garrison managed to keep the Japanses off Jakarta and the Australian mainland.

After the war's end, the Commonwealth decided to follow Britain's example and the Mada dynasty gave control of the country to a democratically elected government.

The Anglonesian Commonwealth

(Susilo Mada II)​

UA: Deserts of Sea
    Internal :trade: trade routes initiate a WLtKD in cities their sent to upon conquering a city, and generate +1 :c5food: food and :c5happy: happiness per each sea resource present in the home city. Cities during WLtKDs contribute 5% of their :c5production: production to other cities per each different resource present in them, and receive double :c5happy: happiness from :trade: trade routes.

UU: Timulurid Pirate
    Unique privateer, unlocked at astronomy. While having less :c5strength: strength(22), it has the "Raider of 1000 islands" promotion, which makes it gain :c5gold: gold when moving near land improvements and damage any units stationed on them. Upon pillaging a :trade: trade route, gains a permanent +1 :c5strength: strength in addition to fully healing itself.

UI: Trepanger Camp
    Unlocked at optics. May only be built on coast tiles, never adjacent to each other in friendly territory. Claims and improves a sea resource within 2 tiles upon being constructed. When a city in the empire enters a WLtKD there's a small chance it will spawn a sea cucumber. Grants :c5food: food and :c5gold: gold per each sea resource worked by the city for 4 turns after constructing a maritime building(bonus stacks).

*Sea cucumber: +2 :c5food: food, +1 :c5gold: gold.

10. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

11. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

So I went a little off track for this one...

*Mutations:

Spoiler :
    If mutated on a bison resource
    'LEF Experiment 481:' If this unit makes a kill, attack again. Receive a 25% attack bonus if attacking an enemy you didn't start adjacent to. Double heal rate on plains tiles.

If mutated on a deer resource
    'LEF Experiment 267:' This unit may consume forest tiles to heal, plus gain a 10% attack bonus and +1 movement for 3 turns. May attack friendly units for double experience.

If mutated on a fish resource
    'AEF Experiment 626:' No movement cost to embark or disembark and heal 5 points a turn while embarked even if you made a move that turn. Invisible if not adjacent to a unit while embarked.

If mutated on a pearl resource
    AEF Experiment 530:' May not disembark but produces an incredibly weak 'Pearlescent abomination' unit for every adjacent unit when ending its turn. +10% defence.

If mutated on a crabs resource
    'AEF Experiment 19:' This unit may bury itself on desert or any coastal tile, providing a 100% defense bonus and much faster healing at the cost of 50% weaker attacks. Is invisible to non adjacent units while buried.

If mutated on a sheep resource
    'LEF Experiment 709:' Every turn, if this unit is not attacked, receives a new rank of the 'Wool Armour' promotion which raises its defence by 10% to a maximum of 100%. Double heal rate on grass tiles.

If mutated on a cow resource
    'LEF Experiment 404:' When stationed on grassland tiles in enemy territory, may convert the tile into desert and gain a permanent 5% combat boost. Disbanding a unit with this promotion heals all adjacent units.

If mutated on a Horse resource
    LEF Experiment 211:' No movement cost in flat terrain and a permanent +2 movement.

If mutated on an Ivory resource
    'ELEF Experiment 800:' This unit receives 25% extra defense and 25% extra attack and reduces adjacent enemy combat strength by 5%

If mutated on a truffles resource
    'LEFu Experiment 722:' This unit may 'root' itself into the ground which allows it to heal much, much faster but may not move or attack while in this stance. Has a chance to release spores while in rooted mode which kills all adjacent units, friendly or not.

If mutated on a whales resource
    'ELAEF Experiment 581:' This unit receives +5 movement while embarked and may remove fish resources to instantly heal and gain +5% permanent defensive strength.

If mutated on a furs resource
    'LEF Experiment 998:' This unit may remove any animal resource to fully heal itself and gain a permanent 5% combat strength. Upon killing an enemy unit receives the 'blood fury' promotion granting +1 movement and +25% attack strength for 3 turns though it may not heal with this promotion.

So, a mysterious alien race that loves to experiment on abducted humans from a remote outpost in Australia, whats not to like?

12. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

I am slowly but surely thinking that I may be the only one that isn't going absolutely ham with a bat**** insane backstory on this one.

13. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

Lovecraft? Is that you? :p

The concepts already posted for this challenge are beyond fantastic - I'm really interested to see what other designs people manage to come up with.

14. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

“I'm suggesting nothing here, but I will say that if you were an intergalactic traveler who had broken down in our solar system, the obvious directions to rescuers would be: "Go to the third planet and fly around till you see the big red rock. You can't miss it." If ever on earth they dig up a 150,000-year-old rocket ship from the galaxy Zog, this is where it will be. I'm not saying I expect it to happen; not saying that at all. I'm just observing that if I were looking for an ancient starship this is where I would start digging.”
    -- Bill Bryson, Down Under, 2000 (our time line)

15. Natan35

Scott your brain is absolutely magnificent I adore youuuuuuuu

(Gimma chunk of brain pls)
    (I'm so not wining this one)

16. TinyLittleBirdy

TinyLittleBirdy Chieftain

Diary of Admiral Lucius, founder of Australis

History of Australis:

History of the Second British-Australis War also known as the Great War

17. Natan35

How do you get from Britain to Australia in 2 years, if you are driven by the power of a storm which your wooden ship can't withstand...

18. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

12 months is 1 year Natan. I was about to note how impossibly unrealistic that scenario is until I remembered what I'd submitted. Carry on

19. Natan35

You can't actually confirm the possibility of this design. Besides, I'm still having hard time accepting the fact that fictional designs qualify as alt history.

(Kill me)

20. TinyLittleBirdy

TinyLittleBirdy Chieftain

It's TOTALLY realistic

I'm pretty sure all alt history is fictional...