1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V GOTY announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Thander

Thander Warlord

The previous GOTY edition was only available in Europe. This version seems like it could be global, or at least include North America.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Earlier, in the last decade :old:, they at least sometimes used noble metals. That didn't make it better, but didn't sound that narcistic.

But whatever.

From here, the german gaming site 4players has also brought the news (here), with the same content, but scheduled for september, 27th, and for full price (49,99$).
    Edit: English sources with price + date are here or here.

3. Describer

Describer Chieftain

I have strange feeling that this is it for Civ 5. There wont be any further content. Because usually GOTYs come after all planned ex-packs and dlcs are out. This will be sad, because I still want BTS-style ex-pack, doubling the leaders and game complexity.

4. Oohforf

Oohforf Praise loud, blame soft.

Hmm, well that's nice. I would have bought this GOTY addition. Too bad I bought it back at release...since I'm not just going to be "hopping on board".

/disappoint.

5. That nerdy kid

That nerdy kid Vampire Slayer Slayer

lol someone said they had heard nothing but good about it. they have no idea what they are getting into.

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

Well, it wasn't over in march when the first GOTY came out, was it? ;)
    So there is hope.

Also the fact that it doesn't contain Korea and WOTAW is also a good argument that this 'isn't it' for Civ5, otherwise they'd have included that as well, I suppose.
    Ah, that could be it.

So probably it's possible that if somebody from North America buys the first GOTY it won't work in his/her region?

7. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

There's no evidence to date that a version of Civ5 or its DLC bought in one region did not work in another region.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I realize that "gold editions" make plenty of sense for both producers and consumers in the sense of aggregating multiple releases and expansions of a game... but...

In what f'ing sense is Civ V anyone's "Game of the Year????" And there haven't been any expansions, just a shock of DLC's. WTF???

9. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

10. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

That...

It goes to show that nowadays, in order for a game to take that title, it doesn't need to be great. (If you think of it, "game of the year" means like that there are no better games out there for this year...and I know many, many people who don't agree with that.) It just needs some good marketing. Sad, but true.

11. Ex-Cop

Ex-Cop Warlord

They forgot to put the "worse" before "game of the year edition". Just like the forgot to put "this is not" before "civilization" in the title. At least the graphics are so very "organic".

12. sadsquid

sadsquid Warlord

oh please, the amount of whining is this thread is just silly. Yes, some people really like the game, myself included. You don't like it? Fine. But do you have to keep beating a dead horse?

anyway, on topic: I really do hope this is a sign of an expansion pack coming. Would love me some more civ.

13. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

As long as the game keeps making money, the devs will keep repackaging it to sell it again and again. As long as they use the profits to make Civ6 a brilliant game, I don't mind this kind of thing. If they whore Civ5 to bits and then make a lackluster Civ6 however, I shall be most unhappy.

14. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

Funny all the negativity around here.
    One would think that, if you played a game and hated it so much, you wouldn't be posting in forums about it a year later.

Meanwhile, the thousands of people that play it on a daily basis are apparently busier actually enjoying the game instead of being a vocal minority that entertain themselves by complaining repeatedly.

Civilization 5 is a fantastic game that deserves multiple Game of the Year awards. It's also a huge commercial success, so packs like those are pretty obvious. And it's pretty much a no-brainer to have more DLCs, and probably at least one "expasion-sized" DLC.

15. HamTard

HamTard Warlord

Civ IV was repackaged several times too. This isn't surprising.

I only hope they come out with some kind of all-DLC bundle one day for people who have the base game but nothing else.

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Warmed over dreck is not very palatable. :yuck:

It increasingly seems like there won't be an expansion. This could be as good as it gets folks.

I suppose it may lure in some new suckers...err I mean customers though. ;)

Also, they are still milking that bought "Game of the Year" sham award they got from Gamespy apparently. :lol:

Shame of the year maybe. ;)

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling - ori
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. anandus

anandus Errorist

Tell me about it. I've got Civ4 three times over :crazyeye:
    (Vanilla, Gold and Complete ... don't ask... :p )

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

The release of a GOTY is a marketing manoeuvre to increase sales.
    It's nowhere near a confirmation that there won't be an expansion.

Until we hear what Firaxis have been working on for the past year (we don't all believe the DLC is the only thing, do we?) I'd say anything's possible. A sign we won't see an expansion would be if they are working on an entirely different game, which I think is unlikely.

19. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

There are rumors on 2K forum that Firaxis is working on a new game.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?113648-Firaxis-also-working-on-X-Com-game

20. Beamed

Beamed Chieftain

Can the people who hate Civ V please stop trolling these forums?

Anyway, meh. Saw it coming.

Moderator Action: please do not call other users trolls or tell them off the (sub-)forums. - ori
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889