1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V GOTY announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Saw it coming (packing the DLC).

Spoiler alert: if you wait, the GOTY version will go down in price.

Edit: but it's good to support Firaxis, as they have kept up with their patching.

What year is this game GOTY in? 2012? Is a time machine involved? I mean, maybe GOTY for the specific genre it's in...

2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I believe Firaxis is doing that very thing. My post from the Rants thread. It seems the first link doesn't work anymore but it did reference the RTS game that Firaxis is working on. (More contemporary I guess.)

3. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Well then one would be wrong. The power of disappointment can be very strong, especially if we're talking Civilization. Mixed with tiny shred of hope that something, someone has changed that rotting carcass of a game into an experience worth Civ name makes no wonder that people keep coming back to the forums (not the game, which is abysmal still). Yesterday I've found this nice civ pack mod, so the hope is there, buried but still lingering.

"Vocal minority" - that's so original, well done. Look on us! Stealing all the kids fun! Telling them that this brown thing on their mouths is not a chocolate! It's not crap, it's organic chocolate! Salesmen says so, they even called it "Chocolate Of The Year" - so they can't be wrong, can they?
    Bloody forum trolls, you shove them under the carpet into the rants thread, and they just keep coming! Probably because there's so little of them, yeah that makes sense. Game's rating on Amazon also proves that!
    Moderator Action: Don't troll around. Such posts are completely inappropriate.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Of course that Civ5 is a commercial success. But not because it's a good game, but because it's another Civ game. Up till now every next installment was better than the last, bringing more to the table. II was better than the I, IV was better than the III so naturally that with such herigate they could release half-baked piece of crap on the stick and call it amazing.

"Expansion-Sized DLC"? Whassthis?

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

No.

Civ V doesnt deserve a GOTY edition!

5. anandus

anandus Errorist

It already has ;)
    As said before the previous GOTY is available for ~$30,- and only lacks Denmark compared to this GOTY.
    Why not?
    I can imagine people like to buy the game with the DLC included.

6. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Then make a Gold Edition.

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

Well that's the same, isn't it. 'Gold', 'GOTY', or 'Complete'.
    Just a different wording.

8. André Alfenaar

André Alfenaar Warlord

Maybe I will buy this GOTY in order to get the DLC's. But I already have the original game. So it is a bit of a rip-off. I prefer a seperate DLC edition. Or the ability to purchase a Steam-code with which to download all existent and future DLC's for Civ5.

It is really annoying that Steam actually demands customers to have a credit card of something as untrustworthy as Paypall. Those paymentmethods are just not popular in The Netherlands. Why does Steam not support iDeal?

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Steam *does* support iDeal :) I've used it many, many times.

(And another note, for different webshops: I'm in the same situation as you and sometimes some shops need a credit card (which I haven't). You can also buy a 'prepaid credit card', which works well. Have a look here: https://www.3vcash.nl/ :) )

10. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

You know why I have no patience for this? Because every single thing you people say about Civilization 5, I used to hear about Civilization 4. And it's the same for every single sequel of every single game. Heck, even tabletop games.

And no matter how many people you believe that hate Civ5, you are, indeed, a vocal minority. "A lot of forum posters" (and I will never understand why people keep frequenting a forum of a game they dislike, if they really dislike it) can't compare with tens of thousands of people that play this game on a daily bases. You can open Steam any time of the day, and there will be thousands of people playing Civilization 5.

Is this game perfect? Hell, no. There are flaws, there are issues that should have been fixed long ago, etc. But stop looking at the past with those rose-tinted glasses, it wasn't any better back then.

Anyway, on to your question, an "expansion-sized DLC" is pretty much an Expansion Pack with digital distribution. I dislike those jargons, actually.

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

An expansion would entail mostly AI and mechanics changes, and we know that staff is still around because they are still patching the game.

Also CivRev and CivRev2 (until it was cancelled) was developed in parallel with Civ5.

We certainly won't know for sure how they move forward with content delivery, but they've certainly added, over the year, an entire expansion pack's worth of content via DLC, or at least the first expansion pack to a numbered Civ game, which has traditionally been just more wonders and more civs 'mod pack' with balance adjustments to the core game.

12. Ex-Cop

Ex-Cop Warlord

You "sir" are the minority.
    Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

There is no way to find out, is there? ;)

But let's stay ontopic :)

14. King Patrick

King Patrick Warlord

Numbers don't lie. Thousands or tens of thousands of players every day on Steam vs. a half-dozen of the same old screen names moaning on a forum.

15. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: There's no need to respond to a comment that's been marked as trolling. Please do not respond to trolling.

16. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Too bad it doesn't have Korea...

17. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

Maybe there will be a third Shame of The Year edition for Civ5 with future DLC.

18. Johnny Bash

Johnny Bash Chieftain

How clever...

19. eris

eris King

For point of fact, I, sir, disagree, strongly.

Excuse me, I need to get back to playing Civ 5 instead of arguing with someone about. it. We all get our kicks in different ways.

20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

I've been playing Civ since 1991. When the game first came out it set off a wave of turn-based strategic sims. For some years there were plenty of them to choose from. Now Civ seems to be the only major one left standing. In short; where else are you gonna' go? Considering the amount of cash to be made in developing yet another console-based FPS it is to me something of a miracle that Civ V exists at all.

Yes, I have my share of complaints about V. On the other hand, Firaxis is still generating content for it and we have a brilliant community of modders who have and will enrich the game. I'll take what I can get and be grateful for it.