1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V GOTY announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

It takes far more $$$ invested to make another sequel (as Civ5 is the fifth in the series) with entirely new game mechanics and features than it would to simply expand upon those that are already there (and were already paid for). Adding features and tweaking mechanics and AI are a lot faster and cheaper to produce and can turn a fine profit (especially considering they have to invest so much less).

I wouldn't hold my breath for Civ6, especially if you think they're willing to so quickly give up on Civ5. A more likely scenario (if they did give up on Civ5) is that we wouldn't see a Civ6 at all. A company that has seen multiple expansions and a 4 - 6 year lifespan for each prior iteration for a game isn't going to just shelf their most recent and start in on a new one. Sales figures tell the tale for that one, and Civ5 is a strong performer in the sales category, so, again, you're more likely to see an expansion or two before they start the long (and expensive) process of creating a new Civ.

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

Indeed. I wouldn't count on a Civ6 for the next 2 to 4 years.

3. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

I agree, but there may be a Civ 5 add-on called "Civ 6" depending on what their marketing team thinks is best. (Similar to Vista's big service pack being called "Windows 7").

4. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

:lol: Ha! Good point!

5. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I'm always bewildered at the number of people who enjoy a game enough to get hundreds or thousands of fan forum posts about it, yet complain lustily when asked to pay $6 for some fairly useful DLC.

The same people who download a $2 iPhone game and freak out when it isn't a masterpiece.

6. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

So I suppose they should release only 3 or 4 civs and maybe 5 wonders in Civ6 and then make everything else a 5 dollar download? Your acquiescence to the changing methods of marketing make further abuses seem "okay" to the companies which release the games. I payed $50 for the game. If I downloaded all the DLC separately (which I refused to do), then I would have to have payed upwards of $85 for the complete vanilla version of Civ5. This is outrageous in my eyes and, sure, it's an opinion, but it's a pretty defendable one considering Civ4 vanilla cost me $45 (for the entire version).

Free market / capitalism doesn't work if the people just acquiesce to anything a company does with its pricing structure just because they like the product. Should I have to pay $150 for the next iteration of Civ without complaining if (it the game is good)?

7. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

The (quality of) content in the DLC is not the problem, the absurd price is. If you bought a 'complete' game using only DLC, you'd be paying hundreds of dollars. Plus it punishes loyal fans - how much is a Civ5 pre-order plus all post-launch DLC in price versus the Civ5 GotY Edition?

The DLC for Civ5 thus far has been stuff that modders have been doing for free.

With what Firaxis has released for DLC thus far, it wouldn't surprise me if they release Civ6 in the next two years as essentially an expansion pack (adding espionage or some new mechanic, perhaps) for Civ5 GotY. Of course, since it's a new game you'll have to pay $60. Then they'll have a bunch of patches funded by overpriced DLC. Then the GotY Edition is released later, and the cycle continues.

I can only hope pray that this won't be the case.

8. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Those loyal fans wanted to play the game over a year earlier than those picking up the GotY Edition. I don't understand how that is punishment.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Just to say, this version is now available. It's a good part cheaper on D2D than on Steam.

10. Becomedeath

Becomedeath The Destroyer

Nobody makes you buy it, and unless you're 4 you will know that software comes down in cost over a matter of months. Moderator Action: :nono: there's no reason to be so degrading. "loyal fans" had the opportunity to wait and buy it cheaper, if you wanted to pay the cost to get it the instant it was available, then who's really to blame?

It's only money, you got what you wanted and you were happy at the time. This seems to be a large amount of making an issue out of nothing so there's something to complain about! :cry::cry::cry:

11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It doesn't appear to be in the UK (£22.99 on Steam vs £22.95 on D2D). Not that there's really any reason to pick Steam over D2D, since it just activates on Steam anyway.

The regular version is still around £20, so the GotY edition is a good deal for new players. Surely, that's all a GotY edition (or Gold or Complete) was ever about anyway?

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

:blush: oops, seems you're right. It's a good part cheaper in the UK than in the rest of europe, that's it. On Steam or D2D.com the version is up for 49.95€.

13. Becomedeath

Apologies, what I meant was that if you've been a player of games that have DLC or expansions or even just the games themselves for any length of time then you know that the prices drop over time.

Civ 4 is now being sold with all of it's expansions as a bundle at a significantly lower cost than it's original releases as seperate items. Why shouldn't the same apply to the smaller DLC?

14. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

What is it with people and the whole "crying/complaining" attacks?

You seem to miss the point that the idea of having to buy DLC in order to get the FULL version of the game is a NEW paradigm in the marketing of Civilization games. I never had to pay $85-90 to get previous vanilla versions of Civ. In fact, I paid $45 for Civ4 (when it was less than 6 months old). Let's not try to say the price of all games have gone up, because they sure as hell haven't gone up to $90 a pop. That's almost the cost to upgrade Windows (and there are significantly more people and significantly more money involved in creating an Operating System vs. a TBS game).

Again, I point to the failure of free market / capitalism when the consumers (who are responsible for holding companies accountable for their actions) simply acquiesce to new (and absurd) pricing structures. You fail to see how the combined price of the game and all DLC for "loyal civ fans" (OF COURSE they will buy the game when it first comes out since they are AVID fans and not wait a year for the economized version) is out of hand. $90 for one game is not acceptable ESPECIALLY given the fact that it took a year to patch the game to acceptability.

The only thing remarking about people "crying" ( :rolleyes: ) does is show us that you are willing to acquiesce to absurd pricing structures simply because you look at the structure as a normal $50 with some fairly priced $5 downloadables. When it really is a $90 game that was released piecemeal along with numerous fixes to the highly flawed original release.

15. Becomedeath

Actually, it shows that when I buy something I accept the price of it, or I don't buy it. If it becomes cheaper at a later point, I don't sit around feeling ripped off because I got it when it was brand new. Everything drops in price for one of two reasons, 1) people won't pay it because it's over priced, 2) enough sales have been made at the original price that reducing it will attract more customers.

As Civ is now a year out of the box, it's only natural that they're going to offer a bigger better package to attract more new customers.

I can't remember a time when this sales model wasn't true in computer games. But it doesn't change the fact that if you bought it at it's original price and then want to complain when they make that price lower at a later date you're going to spend the rest of your life in a permenant state of annoyance at the world.

To be fair, you're better off if you've bought the DLCs IMO as you've had the chance to adapt to them and learn more about them than someone who gets hit with them all at once.

You can buy Civ 4 and all of it's expansions for under £10 now, originally that collection would have cost you £120...that's no more outrageous than this is. Which is not very at all.

And you don't HAVE to buy anything. If it were a required part of the game that enabled it to function then that would be true. What you're talking about is playing the latest version with all of the optional extras. It's hardly the same as being forced to pay $90 for the full game, you got the full game on day 1. What you choose to buy after that are extras.

If you had to pay for the patches, then you'd have a point here, but you don't, so you don't.

16. Andoo

Andoo Warlord

It isn't really a new paradigm. You HAD to buy all the expansions if you wanted full version of the game before, and after DLC. One might argue expansions generally add more stuffs on the table. At least for me, the added civs, scenarios, and map scripts added more flavour to the game than PTW did for Civ 3 or Warlords did for Civ 4, while giving me the chance NOT to buy unwanted additions such as Cradles series.

17. Ashwind

Ashwind Warlord

You are right. CiV was the first game I ever pre-ordered and I've learnt my lesson. I will wait 3 years before picking up any games. Let others beta test for me. After all, it is better to spend my scarce time on books and physical outdoor activities.

Thank you CiV for the lesson. Life's too short to feel ripped off. If I need online entertainment, the forum's full of FREE fun.

CiV GOTY? just wait for an even more complete GOTY. It will come.

18. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Except, Blitzkrieg, you don't have to pay $90 to get the full vanilla game. The vanilla game was $50 at launch and has since gone down.

The DLC additions, while not full expansion packs, are still extra content. The GotY edition does not constitute an updated "vanilla" version, but fills the same role as Gold/Complete editions used to.

While this isn't the thread for DLC pricing discussions, if you compare how much one will have paid if one had bought the game on release, and each DLC thereafter (I've spent £57 or so on the preorder and all the DLC, bundled appropriately, minus the pointless map packs), it isn't so very much more than Civ IV and Warlords at full price (around £30+£20=£50 if I'm remembering right). That's why I find it hard to agree with the more apocalyptic comments people make about the state of the industry.

19. TImithius

TImithius Chieftain

What I am struggling with is why so many people are preaching their own opinions and trying to sway other into their belief, its starting to get annoying. You like the game or not, you buy DLC or not, you hate the prices or you dont care. Quite frankly this is not an idealistic world so you just have to live with what is, just stop posting complaints about everything you dont like on every thread

20. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

You seem to be responding to other peoples gripes about the price having gone down 1 year after release. That was never my point, and so, I am sorry if my post was directed incorrectly at you. Of course the price will drop as the game ages, I have no problem with that and I don't feel cheated because of it. Nor is that anything new.

What IS new in the realm of civilization is partially releasing a vanilla game (IE with less leaders and wonders than you planned on releasing) and then making people (who want the entire vanilla game) pay for the rest of the leaders/wonders piecemeal and then AFTER the die hard fans buy the DLC (who OF COURSE buy these DLC as soon as they come out since they are "die hard fans") release the ACTUAL full version of Civ5 Vanilla with all DLC inclusive for less than the original game sold for.

THAT is completely uncool, IMO. And THAT is what I was posting about. Again, my bad if you were simply referring to the decline in price as a game ages (which is, of course, an old and logical marketing technique).

No. This is completely incorrect. The expansions for Civ4 (Warlords and BTS) both added entirely new dimensions to the game. New (base) units (ie not just new unique units from new civs), new systems (like vassals and espionage), new diplomacy options, new technologies, new wonders, new civs AND leaders, new leaders for existing civs, new combat mechanics... THAT is an expansion. BTS was an entirely different game from Vanilla Civ. Warlords wasn't as drastic, but if you played warlords and then went back to vanilla, you felt a major difference (especially because the entire idea of vassals was introduced in warlords). Releasing some leaders and a few wonders piecemeal and making people pay for it is NOT an expansion. It is completing the full VANILLA version of Civ5. The idea of only partially including the Leaders / Wonders with the initial release was well planned ahead of time. It wasn't accidental, nor did they "forget" to include the leaders/wonders. It isn't an expansion, and, therefore, is completely different from the previous versions of Civ.