1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V GOTY announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by comatosedragon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Interesting description, especially considering they're giving it a 'Strategy Game of the Year' award.

2. baldfalk

baldfalk Warlord

Maybe Firaxis will expand the title and call the next package "(Only Strategy) Game of the Year Edition" and you all can stop fighting.

( Unless SC2:HotS comes out that year. D: )

3. André Alfenaar

André Alfenaar Warlord

Really?
    I can't choose it when I want to purchase a DLC. How did you do that?

Edit: I just found out how. Steam must have added this option recently. I am happily downloading now the most important DLC's! :)

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

No it isnt. GOTY = 'Game of the Year' which Civ V doesnt deserve.

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

As I'm sure neither do the other thousand games that receive a GOTY banner each year (ok, maybe not a thousand, but a lot!). It's just a marketing gimmick. These days "GOTY" really is pretty much a synonym for "Complete Edition". I'm not being sarcastic.

6. sadsquid

sadsquid Warlord

But it does deserve it. It would be my pick for the best game of 2010, too. Just ahead of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

7. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Civ 5 is fun to play but Game Spy is just stupid^H^H^H^H^H^H silly. The game is "accessible" because it gives you a lot of bad advice that works on the easier difficulties because the cpu follows the same bad advice. Getting a feel for what actually works in the game takes dozens of hours.

There's never been such a mixed-bag of a game. The AI isn't very good at everything, and the advisors are terrible, but OTOH the interface is fairly clean and the tech tree is fun to me. The game is quite streamlined which is both good and bad. I don't know what I'm trying to say here, besides I don't like Game Spy.

Doesn't Game Spy manage the networks for the game? Conflict of interest much? (Though to be fair they manage the networks for like every game).

Anyway, you all forgot Rock Band 3 :p SMG2 is a great choice too :)

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I think the main thing Gamespy do is host the mod hub. It's a bit misleading in the intro when it says "powered by gamespy". And yes, there is a bit of a conflict of interest there.

9. Jarwy

Jarwy Warlord

10. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

What smart marketing... and yet such a bad way to treat your loyal civ enthusiasts. I bought this game full price and now, in order to get the full amount of civs, I have to either re-buy the game (of the year edition) or I have to pay for all the separate DLCs... what crap.

At least in Civ4, Firaxis included ALL of the civs with the initial release. The only time Civs were added were with full expansions. This business of DLC is such crap. As previously stated, it is quite intelligent for marketing purposes, but I'm not falling for their ploy. Crap crap crap.

I cannot give points to a company who has released 4 games without requiring further purchases to get the "complete" vanilla edition. Since we're still without an expansion pack, the DLCs do NOT count as an expansion. I payed $50 for the game itself and now I'm told I have to spend apx $35 more to get all the civs / wonders? Oh, now I can buy the whole game all over again to get all the DLC content (goty edition)? I don't give good marks for this kind of marketing. It seems to have worked well on a good amount of the loyal fans, but it ain't working on me. It's shameful. Downright.

11. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

In all likelihood, there will be a way to acquire all DLCs at a reduced cost without buying the whole game again at some point in the future.

12. hewhocaves

hewhocaves Chieftain

Civ V GOTY? *yaaawn*..

Excuse me.. I have to finish up game #1387131 of Civ IV BTS via direct IP with my weekly gaming group. I've got to get those spies out there into Byzantine cities before invading with my stacks of samurai so I can convert them all (by the sword) to Confucianism.

Moderator Action: If you want to post about Civ4, then please post in the Civ4 forums, and not in Civ5.

13. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Game of the Year - that would be Portal 2. Civ5 is just relaxation-candy, it's not a big technical accomplishment in any way, I still like it though. :)

14. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

You may have misunderstood me. I have no love for DLC as compared to expansions like BTS or CiIII's Play the World. On the other hand, in the more than twenty years that I've played Civ and every other strat sim I could get my hands on, I have seen the franchise dwindle to the point that I consider a strat sim version CiVI to be at best a forlorn hope.

So, yes, I'll take what I can get. Like the man said, "Where else are you gonna' go?"

15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

How dare you in any way suggest that CiIV is a richer gaming experience than CiV? ;)

Two things:
    1) CiIV was released when the strat sim franchise was still alive and walking around. It benefits from years of patches and mods. It morphed from a good game to a great one.
    2) CiV is just a year old. I think that the efforts to streamline and simplify gameplay were a wrongheaded attempt to reach out to a wider audience. Either you want an immersive, management-oriented PC game or you want "Halo" on an XBox. I am optimistic that our modders, may their names shine, will make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

16. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Ah, I understand. My bad, man. Yeah, if given the choice of "Civ with DLC" to get the whole game or "No civ at all"... I'll take the DLC all day.

17. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

No bad, friend. It isn't easy at times to interpret the intent of someone's post.

18. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

GotY Edition seems like a misnomer, and Complete Edition is a boring subtitle. They should've called it the End of Time Edition. I can't think of any GotY/Complete/etc edition that had additional DLC/Expansions released for it afterwards - it's probably the end of the road for Civilization 5, they're done with it.

A shame.

19. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Judging from the (sales) success of Civ5 and the DLC income, I can't imagine they would abandon the opportunities to make a heap more on a full expansion or two. Civ games always have expansions. It lengthens the lifespan of the game itself (Civ4 dominated my computer for 5 years) and also brings the company more income. I can't see this being the last of Civ5 software. I'd expect an expansion to be announced at the next expo.

However, I could be wrong. It isn't entirely impossible for Firaxis to abandon the game since it has received a lot of bad reviews from long time civ fans. But it is far more likely that we will see an expansion or two before the REAL end of Civ5.

20. UNIT 666

UNIT 666 One of Many

I think they'd just release a sequel with some new features, pulling in $60 per copy, plus new DLC, rather than $30 or $40 from expansions. Hence the GotY edition to wrangle in those last few people holding out. Firaxis might be smarter than that, though - I certainly hope they are.

That direction would severely weaken the quality of their releases over time, probably killing off large-budget, turn-based games for good.