Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aaron90495, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I'd say the comparison for any new system should be the espionage system: Especially in the late game, such systems need to be small, precise, easy to understand and use and only provide positive effects (no negative ones for enemy civs). There's enough going on already in the late game. A system for corporations as described above (which is similar to the civ4 system, right?) mainly adds more bloat in that you need to spread it to cities and build buildings for it. I wouldn't really like that.

In any case, the question is asked the other way around: "what gameplay effects could we need in the late game", and from that on outwards a Globalization/Corporation system can be designed.

2. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Well, at least for me, another espionage-like system wouldn't be worth the effort. You are right, of course, "easy to understand" is a high virtue in CiV (and should be in all games). My own concept is quite lackluster in this regard...

But especially this:
    ...might be answered back by some people. Maybe not, if you are used to fight late wars (as I am, by the way). But if you play peacefully there could very well be some more "late game action" in my regards.

3. mitsho

mitsho Deity

To be true, I often fight a late game war or two, and I do it with the GEM/CivUP mod, but still I see a few problems with peaceful systems, namely with the "only positive claus". Let me explain:

Such a system would either give you yourself some more yields/positive feedback. This way however, it only accelerates your path to Victory. After all it's not worth to spend yields into building up a system in the industrial era when there's not much time left for it to give you things back. So if it doesn't interfere with other civs, it's a passive system as well, no? And additionally, it'd need to be very strong. Also I'm not sure that the competition to getting the system would be tight enough with the AI, and it additionally be mainly dependend on science / era again.

The other way is for a system that interferes with other nations. Now you have peaceful economic warfare. The difficulty is to design a system here which doesn't get frustrating for the player. For all you can do to the AI, the AI can do to you. This is why we don't have water poisoning with Espionage, it's not fun. Say this system can be used to keep another AI from getting to the Spaceship. What if an AI does that to you? I could see a system that mainly aims for the City States, upgrading diplomatic victory to a economic victory in that investing in this system helps you get there. City States after all don't get back on you, as major civs do ;)

4. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

If they re-add corporations they should require resources for balance and to encourage more trading. I mean it its more than a little silly that iron is practically useless during the industrial era.
    They should also count cattle and wheat as resources again for food centered corps.

5. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Sorry guys, i'm playing catch up here :confused:. Haven't had time to read the whole thread but I can't work out is this all...
    A) specualtion, B) wish list, C) confirmed facts, D) bit of everything..???

6. Olleus

Olleus Deity

B) and maybe A). Not even the title is confirmed at this stage...

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Somewhere between A and D (due to the lack of solid C), the impetus for the speculation being the finding of a steam build entitled 'Expansion - One World'.

8. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

And E) the thousandth discussion about the same old and well known topics based on B). ;)
    Really, we desperately need new input...

9. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I think they should add Tibet, especially because it would be a religious based civ. Civilization is a game it should not be thwarted by something as ugly as real world politics.

10. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Tibet... Israel/Hebrews... I am so so with that one. Maybe a scenario although the timelines don't really overlap. Leave them as faith CS's. I don't have a problem with that. Not necessarily full blown civs.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't know if Firaxis/2K sells Civ V in China, but if they do or ever want to, they have to toe the line with China's ruling party and their "official" history. Things like this shouldn't be, but this is the real world, so they are.

On the other hand, China frequently edits movies and censors the internet to prevent their citizens from seeing things that don't conform with the party line. If Firaxis put a Tibet civ in the game, and tried to sell it in China, China might ask them to omit Tibet, but sell it otherwise intact. One World would simply have X-1 civs in China to our X.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I hope that they include a nation that default religion is Judaism and Shikism. it's really sad that thsoe two will rarely ever be picked by an AI.

13. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

I see Judaism a lot its sikhism and tengriism I never see. Actually in my current game I think spain decided to be Jewish.

14. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Tengirism is attached to the Huns and Monglia, but Judaism and Shikism have NO actual civ attached to it, so you only rely on yourself or randomized religion picking those two. and since Shikism is like the 8th Religion it pretty much never gets picked.

15. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

Someone found something that suggests that something is in the works called 'One World' for Civ V, and it followed the same formatting as 'Gods & Kings' had. This, along with the lack of activity similar to the previous wait for 'Gods & Kings' to be announced has led to the conclusion that this is most likely the name of a new expansion pack.

Other speculation that has been around for a while is that the lack of activity since the release of 'Gods & Kings' is almost certainly the precursor to the announcement of an second expansion. Furthermore, based on previous patterns it'll most likely be announced on the 14th or 21st of February for a June release.

Beyond that people have been speculating based on the name, and the previous lack of fine detail to the modern era, in particular things like globalisation and late game global politics, as well as colonisation, as 'Gods & Kings' brought to earlier eras in some respects.

There's also the generic "well, they've got to add [whatever Civ]" kind of speculation, which is to be expected for any expansion. Some is based on the 'One World' theme, some is just generic speculation.

In terms of actual, solid confirmed facts, pretty much nothing, but if the speculation is right, and it's fairly solid to be honest, then we won't be waiting too much longer.

16. Jewman

Jewman Prince

I don't think they should implement corporations in the way they did in BTS. I saw someone suggest splitting up the commerce policy trees into corporation/colonization or something along those lines and that got me thinking...

What if there were two cultural policy trees (or a new system altogether?) that determined whether you as the player played a more active or more passive role in the economy. This would mimic reality where some governments have always been meddlesome and others have allowed their economies to play out by themselves. It would be similar in the way that you can have religion and actively send out missionaries or you can instead focus on a more laissez-faire spread.

One system would provide passive bonuses like +25% gold from markets and extra tile yields. The other system would have caravans and 50% production of commercial buildings and harbors and whatnot.

I'm just spitballin here but i think a system that attempts to represent how leaders approach economics instead of a flat-out adoption of CIV corporations would be much more interesting.

17. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Corporations do seem likely

But with a title like One World - I am still holding out hope that Disease and controlling it may be a big part still. Health may be gone - but we have seen in scenarios like in Civ 4 where spreading of disease was tried out on a smaller scale. One World seems like it would be a great place to have customizable weapons (aka disease) that could spread from culture to culture and deal with the isolated potentially more, colonization focus [Indonesia, Kongo, Brazil, etc], and international trade.

18. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

If Corporations return,I'll be very intrigued by what influence they can have on city states and what influence will social policies have on them.

19. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Perhaps the new addition will be the United Nations Security Council? This could act as the needed late game corrective mechanic to make things hard for runaway civs. More or less like the council is supposed to work in real life. Before you can start a late game war you would need to have permission from the security council, in which the most powerful civs are seated. Of course you will never get permission without some large bribes and some other concessions to the other contesters for world supremacy. If you do go to war, you will get a huge diplo hit, from the city states too. And there is also a change of a sizeable force of blue helmets appearing, as a peace keeping force that you are not allowed to attack.

A mechanic like this would fit in nicely with the title "One World", wouldn't it?

The only problem with this speculation: the United Nations is already in the game. And instead of making life difficult for nations that intend to dominate the world, in the game it does exactly the opposite :(. So I guess they need to change the old United Nations wonder (and its associated Diplomatic Victory) to the Eurovision Song Festival :). I see no problem with that.

20. Mesin

Mesin Chieftain

I just want the Chibchas and the Zulu.
    The Chibchas for another South American civ, and Zulu because they're Zulu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.