Civ V Screenshot Analysis

it looks like the civs border is composted of both the civs primary and secondary colour (Red and yellow in one of the screenshots) as opposed to only the primary colour. if so this is a pretty good idea as itll help increase the distinguish-ability between civs with similar border colours.

9> SS#6 -- more evidence of irregularly shaped zones of ownership around cities.

Right. There seems to be something like 'natural' borders taken into account, where the sphere of influence spreads easier and faster over plains than over other terrains. Mountains are the obvious blocker in the screenshot, but I can imagine that if plains and grassland are the standard, delay penalty's are in place for hills, jungles, swamps, and maybe even forrests, to some extent.

The only thing i don't like is rivers - they do not look like in the screenshots .. hell even in civ 4 they looked more realistic
in nature rivers look like this -
only with human intervention rivers got straight ...

btw the hexes are great ! i always wanted hexes for civ!!

In every picture with a city, the lines, similar to the ones in farms, go beyond the citys hex? That *could* imply multi-hex cities...:drool:

Attachments

• IGN- Sid Meier's Civilization V Pictures (PC) Full Size 3134951_1266659739536.jpeg
    IGN- Sid Meier's Civilization V Pictures (PC) Full Size 3134951_1266659739536.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 409
The only thing i don't like is rivers - they do not look like in the screenshots .. hell even in civ 4 they looked more realistic
in nature rivers look like this -
only with human intervention rivers got straight ...

btw the hexes are great ! i always wanted hexes for civ!!

imo crooked enough

@killmeplease- the rivers in civ 4 look great , but from the civ 5 screenshots ,i can see that rivers are straight and not realistic at all , so i hope to be just alpha or pre-alpha screenshots.

another thing that i found - the same city but in different growth stages -

I hope they improve the rivers too. Though as people are saying it's probably an alpha. If the game was nearly complete thy'd probably release more than 3 (4?) pictures of the map.

You can tell that the rivers are nowhere near complete. There's no way they could consider having rivers in the state they are in the screenshot. I would assume they'd be like Civ 4 rivers (not dead straight), but with a greater zig-zag to go more in line with tiles' edges.

I would assume it's an illusion given the angle of the screenshot and those forests being on hills, but it could also be just a different forest type. In Civ 4, there are 3 forest types (IIRC), so I'd say something like that is most likely the cause of apparent differences in density.

From this picture:

Spoiler :

it seems that there are several density of forest... or is it just an illusion due to the fact that those are forests on hills?

It could be that they were borrowing from SMAC(different degrees of rockyness), but I doubt it. It's probably an illusion.

Not sure I like the city graphis as they stand. ATM it looks like a modern highrise city whilst some ancient era units are running around.

Maybe in the less developed city but not so much the more developed one. Even if as you say its a mud brick city they want to tidy those graphics so its more clear.

The graphics are almost guaranteed to be improved. It was the same with the pre-release civ4 screens. Spit and polish comes late in development, particularly with a game like civ as the game mechanics are far more important.

We have been shown these images because the engine is clearly at a stage where the basic assets are in place, they're placeholders most definately though.

I was looking for that picture myself in order to silence the doubters, but I couldn't find it. People really, really hated those screeshots. The difference in attitude since last time is amazing.

That was the so-called "junk art" to get the new code up and running visually.

Top Bottom