Civ V Screenshot Analysis

One large change I'd like is for promotions to be removed and replaced with the simple conscript-to-elite HP system in Civ3. I'd also like for units to have seperate offense and defense, like in Civ3, as Civ3's units were easier to understand than Civ4's. Please consider this when making Civ5.

I personally thought that the Civ 4 system worked much better.

no no, the one with the unit on it...I realize now I messed up my east and west...:blush:

:)

I see what you mean now, it could well be a farm but the lack of a hut (or the golden, unworked colour) might indicate otherwise.

Interestingly, the 'occupied' segments appear to be adjacent to other occupied segments in other farms which could well indicate irrigation. But as you pointed out, it doesn't make sense as there is no fresh water supply - unless the 'ocean' is really a lake... :eek:

Maybe it is just a SUPER BIG lake. Since this is still the alpha phase, maybe they haven't put in the difference between fresh and salt water, yet. But, another thing, where are the cottages? I don't think I see any in any screenshot.

No I don't see any other cottages in there, but perhaps they're just not shown/finished enough to be presentable.

Sorry if this has already mentioned, but what intrigued me were the two border colors on the culture border edge.

Could one indicate the Civ while the other the leader? Does this mean we can finally play Washington vs Lincoln games for instance, with two or more American Civs?

Sorry if this has already mentioned, but what intrigued me were the two border colors on the culture border edge.

Could one indicate the Civ while the other the leader? Does this mean we can finally play Washington vs Lincoln games for instance, with two or more American Civs?
it seems like the cultural border of another civ starts just outside the cultural border of those 2 cities.

I would've thought the two colours thing is just an indication they've gone for a primary and secondary colour thing in order to help distinguish between civs in those awkward red on red situations.

Does this mean we can finally play Washington vs Lincoln games for instance, with two or more American Civs?

You can already do that, if I remember correctly, you can do Washington vs Washington games.
I agree with Camikaze (primary + secondary colors).

i found one of the first pics of civ 4 .. this means we can expect great improvement in civ5 graphics !

Thanks for sharing. I think those graphics are awesome by the way. I'd pay for some naughty Firaxian to release that early graphics code if it meant a faster game with less graphically-induced lag. I don't know anywhere near enough about the civ 4 graphics engine though, and as far as I know it is unfortunately CPU cycles that typically limit the late-game speed in BtS. Only multi-threading would make a substantial change in that area.

I was looking for that picture myself in order to silence the doubters, but I couldn't find it. People really, really hated those screeshots. The difference in attitude since last time is amazing.

That was the so-called "junk art" to get the new code up and running visually.

The junk art is beautiful!

I would've thought the two colours thing is just an indication they've gone for a primary and secondary colour thing in order to help distinguish between civs in those awkward red on red situations.
I can see that Firaxis is doing a bit of a return to civ3 in this one. If two or more civs had the same colour, then only one of them would have that colour and the rest would use secondary colour. As Firaxis didn't do it entirely right, this meant that the whole map on big game was covered in pinkish civs. Ugh! Berserkers in lilac trousers!

From the closeups something I found interesting is the difference between the two sides archers, with the yellow civ having a more barbaric appearance.
Spoiler :

There definitely appears to be some sort of ethnic diversity going on...

Anyways I really like the more realistic approach that seems to have been taken compared rev or even IV!

I think its just an effect of the colour scheme.

The border looks a bit odd to me. The red looks like that civ's color, but the yellow there doesn't appear to be the adjacent's civ border.

It seems in every screen shot, that each civ's border has two colors. For example there is the red and yellow border. Then if you look through you can also see what is a purple and white border on another shot.

I have also seen some what looks like gray and pink borders ..

i would speculate that each Civilization now has two colors. one "dominant" color and one "shadow" color.

evidence:
- this photo appears to show two cultures and their respectively armies meeting in the un-settled area between them. each of the two civs has two colors (left: blue / white, right : red / yellow). it would be impossible for the two colors on the borders to represent conflicting cultural groups because they are inconsistent across the un-settled area between the two cities.
- similarly, you can see the "brown" shadow color accompanying the yellow dominant color in this photo.
- Would resolve the always confusing similar Civ color problems of Civ IV BTS (e.g. Khmer / America / France)

Holy hell, this game looks sooooooooooo GOOOOOD!!! The borders looks great and natural. The combat looks much better. I love how the developers didnt go overboard with graphics, even though they are improved. This means I can play this game!!!

I hope.

Lets see Spain :)

Top Bottom