Civ VI Civ and City-State Symbology

Seen that, but that is a full spiral and representative of sheep's wool, which wouldn't make sense in the context of only 3 partial spirals as seen in the symbol used.

Hmm, you are right. We have yet to see other images.
I bet the symbols should represent gold, or the reeds of the Nile river.

There are not too many reeds on the Nile river in Nubia though, at least not so much as in Egypt where their symbolic role is fundamental.
With the top of the symbol empty, it reminds me of the Akhet hieroglyph (meaning and showing horizon). But it doesn't make too much sense that the spirals/circles are all the same in such a case since the sun would rise above earth/ground/whatever and not other suns. I checked meroitic hieroglyphs earlier and the circles and spirals that are found in some Egyptian 'alphabets' are not to be found there.

There are not too many reeds on the Nile river in Nubia though, at least not so much as in Egypt where their symbolic role is fundamental.
With the top of the symbol empty, it reminds me of the Akhet hieroglyph (meaning and showing horizon). But it doesn't make too much sense that the spirals/circles are all the same in such a case since the sun would rise above earth/ground/whatever and not other suns. I checked meroitic hieroglyphs earlier and the circles and spirals that are found in some Egyptian 'alphabets' are not to be found there.
Yeah I think reeds are out. Gold makes far more sense for Nubia, but I don't know why there would be 3 symbols and it really doesn't look close to the Egyptian hieroglyph for gold (which I would expect more similarities for such a prominent item). And with 3 of the symbol it makes me feel like its related to some structure.

However it may just be highlight how much the Nubians just looooved their WiFi....
Spoiler :

Yes, you find the circles/spirals in many Nubian monuments and artifacts from the C-Group onwards until contemporary pieces. But I didn't find them in an overlapping configuration like the civ VI logo, and certainly not with blank space above. It may just be an artificial logo inspired by the many circles/spirals found on pottery, jewelry and monuments.

Frankly, it looks like the pattern on my ceiling. :/

I am done looking, I am fairly sure they totally just made this one up.

The last of all straws to grasp at is it repeated use of the hieroglyph for gold nugget, which is a small circle and Nubia was so named after their abundance of gold. This is me fiiting a symbol to something although the longest of shots the last thing I could find that fits, I have absolutely no clue what the hell they did on this one.

So maybe someone with a twitter account asks Ed? He might reply, especially if he sees our dilemma in this thread, where everything else is solved.

Looks like a stylised roof of a Wat.

The Surya Majapahit in for the Indonesian symbol a religious symbol that was also the imperial symbol for Majapahit era

The Indonesian symbol is a radiant sun. I will try to get a screengrab later.

Last edited:
Both Indonesia and Khmer had their symbol colours reversed.

Top Bottom