Civ VI Civ and City-State Symbology

Personally, though, I like the idea of using an olive branch for Greece. I drew up a while ago what I feel to be the best final list of Civs with their logos, and while I know they're not the best and some (not even me) may not agree with all my choice of symbols, I think the Greek one came out good.

I see these are alphabetical. I'll try and do as many as I can just from sight.

America, Arabia, Armenia, Australia (guess due to alphabet), Austria, Aztecs, Babylon, Brazil, Byzantium, Canada, Carthage, Celts, China, Egypt, Ethiopia (thats what I see in that symbol but this would be out of order with England), England, France, Germany, Greece, Holy Roman Empire, Huns, Inca, India, Inuit? (out of order?), Indonesia? (but this symbol is too similar to the last one imo), Iroquois, Israel, Japan, Khmer, Korea, Maya, ???, Mongolia?, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Ottomans, Persia, Poland, Polynesia, Portugal, Rome, Russia/Siam???, Sioux, ???, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican, Zulu

Some of these guesses came from alphabetical order, but most of the symbols are distinctive. Some of the colors are a little odd though.

The third one on the top row is more like Assyria. The second one on the fourth row is Mexico. The fifth one on the bottom row is Songhai.

Ah, I see Assyria and Songhai now. Obviously I'm missing some reference that makes sense for Mexico.

Look at the centre of the Mexican flag carefully.
For some reason, I've always seen that flag reversed. The eagle faces the other way in every picture I've every seen of it, so I didn't recognize it.

But it was black, and Polish Eagle is white (it happens sometimes: now spanish bulls are yellow :p). Back to Civ V and Poland. I think they should have switched colors with Austria. It was strange to have both them in game, Austria using a White Eagle, and Poland a Black one.

Just for fun

Spoiler :
Austria _______________________________________ Poland

Yeah, but that's just the color scheme. The symbols are the color of the civ, no matter what. Poland couldn't be that color because Austria already had it when they got around to considering including it, likely because those are the two colors of their flag. I'm guessing this is going to change with Poland getting in first this time, but color doesn't really matter in the accuracy of a symbol at all. There are plenty of symbols that are a weird color because of just being the color of the civ.

Spoiler :

I see these are alphabetical. I'll try and do as many as I can just from sight.

America, Arabia, Armenia, Australia (guess due to alphabet), Austria, Aztecs, Babylon, Brazil, Byzantium, Canada, Carthage, Celts, China, Egypt, Ethiopia (thats what I see in that symbol but this would be out of order with England), England, France, Germany, Greece, Holy Roman Empire, Huns, Inca, India, Inuit? (out of order?), Indonesia? (but this symbol is too similar to the last one imo), Iroquois, Israel, Japan, Khmer, Korea, Maya, ???, Mongolia?, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Ottomans, Persia, Poland, Polynesia, Portugal, Rome, Russia/Siam???, Sioux, ???, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican, Zulu

Some of these guesses came from alphabetical order, but most of the symbols are distinctive. Some of the colors are a little odd though.

Crap. Totally mixed up the alphabetical order there a few times, huh? Here's everything and the symbology.

America (Great Seal of the United States)
Arabia (Pre-Ottoman star and crescent)
Assyria (Lamassu)
Australia (Southern Cross)
Austria (Austrian Eagle)
The Aztecs (Sun Stone)
Babylon (Winged eagle)
Brazil (Brazilian Flag) I kinda find it funny I'd drawn this over a year ago and it's now the official symbol.
Byzantium (Orthodox Cross)
Canada (Maple Leaf)
Carthage (North African elephant)
The Celts (Shield Knot)
China (Chinese dragon)
Egypt (Eye of Horus)
Ethiopia (Lion of Judah)
England (Imperial State Crown)
France (Fleur-de-lis)
Germany (Iron Cross)
Greece (Olive branch)
Holy Roman Empire (Holy Roman Eagle)
The Huns (Atilla's helmet)
The Inca (Chakana)
India (Ashoka Chakra)
The Inuit (Inuksuk)
Indonesia (Bajang Ratu gate at Trowulan)
The Iroquois (Hiawatha Belt)
Israel (Lampstand)
Japan (Rising Sun)
Khmer (Angkor Wat)
Korea (South Korean Flag)
The Maya (Pyramid)
Mexico (Mexican coat of arms)
Mongolia (Wind horse)
Morocco (Seal of Solomon)
Netherlands (Dutch lion)
The Norse (Longship)
Ottoman (Ottomon star and crescent)
Persia (Cyrus's eagle)
Poland (Polish Eagle)
Polynesia (Wave)
Portugal (Five Quinas)
Rome (Laurel wreath)
Russia (Star)
The Sioux (Buffalo)
Songhai (Bògòlanfini pattern)
Spain (Spanish coat of arms)
Sweden (Three Crowns)
Switzerland (Swiss cross)
Vatican (Papal Seal)
Zulu (Zulu shield)

Although there are a few symbols I'd like to change a bit now.

Had been too busy actually playing to get to this, but here is the updated list for everything in the release.

Does anyone know the origins of the new CS icons in the Viking DLC?

• Auckland: Two sailboats. Auckland is named the 'City of Sails'
  • Antananarivo: Ring-tailed Lemur representing Madagascar in general
  • Armagh: Shamrock representing St. Patrick
  • Granada: Pomegranate? Apparently the city was named after the fruit and has become the providence's heraldric symbol
  • Muscat: (can't remember this one off the top of my head, sorry)
  • Palenque : Serpent's head (possibly the Mayan god Kukulkan)

Maybe somebody who has can take screenshots of the new city-state logo, so we can discuss it here - not everybody has the DLC.
I heard that icons for some other city state like Jakarta is adjusted too.

Maybe somebody who has can take screenshots of the new city-state logo, so we can discuss it here - not everybody has the DLC.
I heard that icons for some other city state like Jakarta is adjusted too.

There might be slight changes to Jakarta , but it looks about the same to me.

Also, the symbol for Muscat is a khanjar (curved dagger) and belt, part of the traditional garb of Oman and is featured on the country's flag

Sorry that I can't get screenshots right now.

Antananarivo is obviously a lemur, which are native to Madagascar.

Armagh is a 3 leaf clover, since it is closely associated with St. Patrick.

Auckland is sailboats. It is called the city of sails. They like yachting.

At least Auckland is represented by sails. It could have been represented by a kiwi (the bird) or a silver fern.

I'm guessing you mean Auckland should not be represented by general NZ symbology. Which it shouldn't.

I'm guessing you mean Auckland should not be represented by general NZ symbology. Which it shouldn't.
Exactly!

Toronto should not be identified with just a Maple Leaf. There are many symbols that can specifically represent Toronto well. For example, a boar's head (in reference to it being known as Hogtown, as well as Toronto being formerly known as York, which in turn, its namesake in England was formerly known as Eoforwic, literally "wild boar village").

Any more images of the new city states' symbols?

Updated.

I do like how the colour represents the currency for each City-state. Yellow for gold, orange for hammers (or cogs), magenta for culture, blue for science, white for faith, and red for BLOOD. Mwahahah etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom