Civ VI Civ and City-State Symbology

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DJ_Tanner, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

The symbols are just adaptations from original symbols. Besides that Amsterdam never really was a city state. Neither were Brussels and so many others. The whole concept of city states is silly, but that's another discussion.

Ben Vimes likes this.
  2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Main post updated for Poland - crowned white eagle, Antananarivo - maky, or ring-tailed lemur, Armagh - shamrock, or clover, Auckland - twin sail boats, Granada - a granada, or pomegranate, Muscat - a khanjar, and Palenque - A stone jaguar head.

Thanks for pulling the images guys! However, I am waiting on the images to update on well-of-souls (for ease) since they are all cropped the same. I will update the images in the main post when that updates.

EDIT: I have uploaded my own screencaps for these as they have not been updated. So the sizing is off, but the images are now in.

Updated for the the red kangaroo for the Aussies, the Shahbaz for Persia, and the Argead Sun for Macedon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
    ales_ likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't see Australia in the list.

4. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Random space in my IMG tag knocked them out and made it so the Aztecs wouldn't display, should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!

5. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, but I noticed that the Kongo mask used for the Civ symbol also seems to be the basis for the face of Orisa, Overwatch's new hero.
    Spoiler :

She's based on a deity in the Yoruba religion, and as you can see, her face is made up of the same basic mask, with the same color scheme, the Kongo uses.

Atlas627 likes this.
  6. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I believe you may be right, they look to be from the same inspiration. I cannot find that mask to figure out who it is based on, and from I can tell Orisa is a generally term for both the deities and spirits. If you think you have found the inspiration I'd love to check it out.

Quintus of Mund likes this.
  7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

You should switch the icon for Nan Madol and Preslav

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Persia - glad to know that isn't some dude in a canoe.

edit: you realize that now I'm going to have to send envoys based on the coolness factor of the flags, and not for city-state bonuses.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    DJ_Tanner, nzcamel and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  9. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Ugh, I had at one point, but when I updated for the new civs I must not have updated my base file. Thanks for the heads up it is fixed.

Haha, I thought it was a bit odd they didn't use the full symbol since it does look a but wonky. Maybe it just looks worse when compressed to fit the size allotted.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  10. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Great list! I wish city-states still had their own music like in V, but I am happy that their bonuses are more unique in this game at least (though I miss being able to get free unique units from military city-states in V).

11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

What about Nubia's symbol?

12. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Here's a picture of the symbol. I have no clue where it's from.

Nubia Civilopedia.jpg

13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I've seen it before, but I can't remember where. Maybe modern Nubia, maybe Meroe, maybe Dongola... If no one finds it, I can look it up at home in two weeks. It looks a bit different though since it is not in a circle usually.
    Maybe the three circles represent the three parts of Nubia. Or Firaxis just took it because Nubians love circles as decorations on pottery etc.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

I've only done a quick look but its a tough one. The closest I've found was:

http://www.mapleleaffoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/logo.png

Somehow I don't think the two are related...

I have some time this week I will give it a better go, but my gut it saying it has something to do with pyramids.

Guandao likes this.
  15. Guandao

That symbol looks really similar to Nubia's, but surely Firaxis couldn't have gotten it from there?

16. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

No clue where that symbol has come from I have checked all places I thought might hold one or one similar but it doesn't appear to match anything that I can find.

17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I look through various books about Nubia today in search of this symbol: art, pottery, jewelry etc. I wasn't able to find it or even a similar symbol.

I remember reading (some years ago) that the Triskelion symbol, that is usually associated with the celts and greeks, was found in many cultures around the world - and also in Egypt and Nubia. However, I was unable to verify this memory and unable to find a picture how the Triskelion from that area looked like. Additionally: the civ VI symbol wouldn't qualify as a Triskelion in the strict sense.

I asked myself what I would have chosen as a symbol. It's the head of Apedemak in the form of a lion. A symbol not used yet in civ and he is rather present in Nubian art. Other ideas would be to use some of the pyramids. Or a ram's head.

Did anyone ask Firaxis/Ed Beach yet?

18. Guandao

How to ask Firaxis/Ed Beach about this?

19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

He has an account on Twitter and has answered some questions before. I don't have an account there, however. On the Civilization page on Facebook, questions are sometimes answered as well.

20. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor