Civ VI Civ and City-State Symbology

It is nice to see that city states have their own symbols. But this one seems wrong. The crosses should be the same size and be white. Also, more often you will see them arranged vertically.

The symbols are just adaptations from original symbols. Besides that Amsterdam never really was a city state. Neither were Brussels and so many others. The whole concept of city states is silly, but that's another discussion.

@DJ_Tanner Please add these to the third post and explain each one of them.

Main post updated for Poland - crowned white eagle, Antananarivo - maky, or ring-tailed lemur, Armagh - shamrock, or clover, Auckland - twin sail boats, Granada - a granada, or pomegranate, Muscat - a khanjar, and Palenque - A stone jaguar head.

Thanks for pulling the images guys! However, I am waiting on the images to update on well-of-souls (for ease) since they are all cropped the same. I will update the images in the main post when that updates.

EDIT: I have uploaded my own screencaps for these as they have not been updated. So the sizing is off, but the images are now in.

Updated for the the red kangaroo for the Aussies, the Shahbaz for Persia, and the Argead Sun for Macedon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kongo – A stylized version of a BaKongo ritual mask. The Kongo masks were used for important funerals, special initiation ceremonies, and for judgment court. Ritual masks were usually a Nkisi, or an object that contains spiritual power or that a spirit inhabits. People who exhibit exceptional human powers such as banganga, herbalists/healers, are believed to be a result of communing with the dead. A Nkisi was generally classified as “of the above” relating to sky, rain, and thunderstorms or “of the below” relating to earth and water.

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, but I noticed that the Kongo mask used for the Civ symbol also seems to be the basis for the face of Orisa, Overwatch's new hero.
Spoiler :

She's based on a deity in the Yoruba religion, and as you can see, her face is made up of the same basic mask, with the same color scheme, the Kongo uses.

I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, but I noticed that the Kongo mask used for the Civ symbol also seems to be the basis for the face of Orisa, Overwatch's new hero.
Spoiler :

She's based on a deity in the Yoruba religion, and as you can see, her face is made up of the same basic mask, with the same color scheme, the Kongo uses.

I believe you may be right, they look to be from the same inspiration. I cannot find that mask to figure out who it is based on, and from I can tell Orisa is a generally term for both the deities and spirits. If you think you have found the inspiration I'd love to check it out.

You should switch the icon for Nan Madol and Preslav

Persia - glad to know that isn't some dude in a canoe.

edit: you realize that now I'm going to have to send envoys based on the coolness factor of the flags, and not for city-state bonuses.

Last edited:
You should switch the icon for Nan Madol and Preslav

Ugh, I had at one point, but when I updated for the new civs I must not have updated my base file. Thanks for the heads up it is fixed.

Persia - glad to know that isn't some dude in a canoe.

edit: you realize that now I'm going to have to send envoys based on the coolness factor of the flags, and not for city-state bonuses.

Haha, I thought it was a bit odd they didn't use the full symbol since it does look a but wonky. Maybe it just looks worse when compressed to fit the size allotted.

Great list! I wish city-states still had their own music like in V, but I am happy that their bonuses are more unique in this game at least (though I miss being able to get free unique units from military city-states in V).

What about Nubia's symbol?

Here's a picture of the symbol. I have no clue where it's from.

Nubia Civilopedia.jpg

I've seen it before, but I can't remember where. Maybe modern Nubia, maybe Meroe, maybe Dongola... If no one finds it, I can look it up at home in two weeks. It looks a bit different though since it is not in a circle usually.
Maybe the three circles represent the three parts of Nubia. Or Firaxis just took it because Nubians love circles as decorations on pottery etc.

Last edited:
No clue where that symbol has come from I have checked all places I thought might hold one or one similar but it doesn't appear to match anything that I can find.

I look through various books about Nubia today in search of this symbol: art, pottery, jewelry etc. I wasn't able to find it or even a similar symbol.

I remember reading (some years ago) that the Triskelion symbol, that is usually associated with the celts and greeks, was found in many cultures around the world - and also in Egypt and Nubia. However, I was unable to verify this memory and unable to find a picture how the Triskelion from that area looked like. Additionally: the civ VI symbol wouldn't qualify as a Triskelion in the strict sense.

I asked myself what I would have chosen as a symbol. It's the head of Apedemak in the form of a lion. A symbol not used yet in civ and he is rather present in Nubian art. Other ideas would be to use some of the pyramids. Or a ram's head.

Did anyone ask Firaxis/Ed Beach yet?

How to ask Firaxis/Ed Beach about this?
He has an account on Twitter and has answered some questions before. I don't have an account there, however. On the Civilization page on Facebook, questions are sometimes answered as well.

Top Bottom