JustifierNA

Warlord
Information Hub.png
If you want some basic tips on Civ VI multiplayer (and single in most situations) check out my guide!
(Click the Picture)

It's a working guide so while there's already tons of information here there's still a lot to go. Hope everyone finds it useful and that you'll take a moment to check out our Discord to participate in some quality Multiplayer games!

Last edited:
Nice. & thanks for the work done. A bit hard to find the sections, but that's just formatting. I found it funny that the discord players apparently play sumeria & scythia exactly the same way I do ;)

Actually we tend to ban the usage of both Sumeria and Scythia, as well as some other in-game options that are considered "op"
Yeah my formatting is kind of garbage that's why the refined version is so much better :p MisterT800 was kind enough to do the formatting for me in the refined version

You can just upload the pdf on this website as well. Unless you want people to join discord.

Actually we tend to ban the usage of both Sumeria and Scythia, as well as some other in-game options that are considered "op"

I know. I'm mostly playing single player/cooperative LAN parties & there I'm not allowed to kick my friends out of the game, so no civs are banned.

Last edited:
I would like people to check out the discord :) it's not required as you can always check the Google Docs Version but if you wish to see the "Refined" version it will be on the Discord text_channel

Also, due to your comment I added a Table of Contents for easier navigation between the sections!

Thanks for the constructive criticism Arent11!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love your section on tile yields & start tiles for cities that give best production. There was a discussion here a while ago about that.

That was MisterT800's work, as is all of the current graphs in the Refined version :) part of the reason it's better!

Thanks for posting this!

In the section on Diplomatic Policy cards:
International Space Agency:
+10% Science per city-state you are the Suzerain of

• Static
  • Priority: Extreme
•|• This civic card is one of the main reasons I value CULTURE over SCIENCE. The potential output of this is INSANE (I’ve used it to bump my SPT up from 220 to 610)

I'm surprised this card would be this good since in a competitive game I would almost never be suzerain of more than 2-3 city states. How can you triple SPT in 10% increments?

Usually people do not kill city states which I say is a mistake but that's beside the point. When/if you use my strategies usually you won't use Enlightenment's +100% campus building yields civic card (Rationalism) until much later in the game and for me that usually correlates to the point I get globalization. When combined your science will easily jump from around 120-150 to 350-600

Also later in the game the policy card "containment" will allow you to easily control any remaining city states. Which is another reason I value culture over science :)

Something else important thing to consider is the map size. I personally favor standard map sized games where there are more city states and more land (so cs bonuses are far more impact full due to the raw quantity of cities (and so districts) than a small map and so players (or ai) are more likely to keep them alive.

There seems to be a contradiction in God King, between the guide classifying it as Stable but the description saying to only use it until you get a Pantheon. (That sounds like a burst to me.)

On the founding a Religion section: If the difficulty is set to Immortal or Deity I'm doubting it's worth attempting to found a religion at all.

There seems to be a contradiction in God King, between the guide classifying it as Stable but the description saying to only use it until you get a Pantheon. (That sounds like a burst to me.)

On the founding a Religion section: If the difficulty is set to Immortal or Deity I'm doubting it's worth attempting to found a religion at all.

12 turns of usage is a long time at the beginning of the game so I label it as static (on other speeds the turns simply go higher and higher)

Personally I highly value religions since I like to have tons of cities! Grabbing a land-determined Follower Belief and a good Founder Belief can be a godsend (also in SP it's easy to keep other religions away diplomatically, and should that fail simply kill their holy units)

It's important to note though that if you want a religion on Deity(I've not played Emperor so I cant tell you how it works there) you're going to have to heavily invest into a Holy Site early (rushing straight for Astrology and a Holy Site and running projects while harvesting resources to finish them faster, usually though you're at best getting the 2nd Great Prophet)

I find the flexibility that a well tailored religion will bring to your game to be a huge boon when fighting AI who get such huge bonuses in comparison to you.

Also I've never had an issue with AI spreading religion in my territory: if the AI spreads it once I warn them off, diplomatically, should they continue to spread religion into my territory then I can use a Casus Belli against them to avoid war-monger penalties and just delete their missionaries

Last edited:
Bravo!

I can only read up to page 90 though
In the Google docs version that's how many pages there are right now. Working on the next sections currently :).

There's a little more content on the Revised Version than the Google Docs version though! (which you can find in the Discord #Strategies text_channel, the link is above)

Last edited:
I think Science is the most important, especially in MP games. Since it's science that decides your city defense and war status. If you're behind your enemy, you're easily taken down in a few turns. Even 5 turns behind in Knights or classical GG may result in lose of your whole empire, while 5 turns ahead may help you double your size. The same applies for Cavalries, Infantries, etc. A little ahead in Science Progress really influences very much.
Corps and Armies need an upgrade to provide their defense.

Also, City-States shall be taken down. For City State only adjacent to your territory, it's really bad if your enemy got the Suzerain, especially when your enemy may be storing envoys only for a sudden shot. So it's best to take them down. For City-States adjacent to multiple players, they're easily taken down by players who do not have enough envoys. Since they are eventually to be taken down, why not take down them early?

Also, foreign trade routes are somehow impossible to survive in MP games, so Kumasi actually worth nothing.

Last edited:
As long as you're planning your tech paths correctly while using technology boosts and properly investing in infrastructure up to Military Science you'll stay about even in technology without building a single campus via raw population (I tend to build all of my campuses at around turn 75-95) after Enlightenment, and so Rationalism

By this point not only will I have Corps (Corps Muskets are 65 CS) but I'll have had Civil Engineering for between 5-10 turns

Usually when others hit Military Science I'm about 90% of the way there as well, but I've invested into Musket men first if I have Niter within my boundaries and luckily Siege tactics is along the way to Cav so you can put up one mean defense AND if you've properly invested into infrastructure you can 2 turn the muskets which if you're on the defensive you can then put into forts for some insanely hard to dislodge units.

THEN when you hit STEEL not only have the tables turned... but the player who focused specifically on Science will feel the edge of Army Artillery while using base units and trust me they're PRAYING for oil because if they don't get it it's another 4-10 turns to get to Helicopters (or at best Corps) for them to defend with

Something important though is which Civilizations you're against and which civ you're playing as. If you're playing against a Kongo with Stockholm+Divine Spark then you're not getting many(likely any) Great People towards Culture so it might not be as beneficial to try for it rather than just getting Science/gold like everyone else

The main use if Culture will bypass the usefulness of Cavalry usually (you can still produce them but since you get them a bit later than everyone else they're not as effective for taking someone out)
BUT the strength of getting tons of culture compared to other players is that you're going to hit Nationalism and Mobilization SUPER early +17 CS is nothing to bat an eye at. Also you're going to be getting the 3rd Tier Government (I always go for Fascism) which is another +4 CS and if you've invested into a Religion and you're fighting someone else who has a religion then you can get +4 CS from Wars of Religion meaning you're getting +25 CS (likely around +15 since they could be at Nationalism when you get to the 3rd tier govt) but add in 1 GG and you're at +20 that's a massive amount of CS difference but here's where the determining factors kick in. WHEN you get the technologies to produce TANKS, HELICOPTERS, MODERN ARMOR you have the CIVICS card to PRODUCE them AFTER you've invested into your timing push upgrade where as someone who simply spammed campuses will NOT get that bonus +50% production and when we're talking about units with production costs between 300-500 Production that's going to be a MASSIVE difference in unit output in comparison. I'd say some good numbers to go by are it's going to take the Cultural focused player around 2-7 turns to produce FIELD CANNONS when it takes the Science focused player 5-10 turns and the comparison simply scales with each era and for each unit type (Excluding those without Civic card modifiers of course)

This is something they're 100% going to feel when you hit Rangers/Artillery/Helos and the cool part is that AFTER you've invested into Culture you can then use that lead to invest DIRECTLY into Science, Gold, Production, City State Envoys, whatever you wish. Which doesn't happen in reverse (you cant invest into CPT using Science, for example)

Also, foreign trade routes are somehow impossible to survive in MP games, so Kumasi actually worth nothing.

Trade routes are literally impossible to kill if you're paying attention.
You can find this under Basic Tips, under
"
5: TRADE IS YOUR NEW GOD:
.........................................words.......................................
  • Micro-management TRADE ROUTES!
You can send a Trade Route back to it's origin city! All you've got to do is left click the trade route you wish to return to the city, then left click the circular icon above a foreign unit's head!

"
Also, City-States shall be taken down. For City State only adjacent to your territory, it's really bad if your enemy got the Suzerain, especially when your enemy may be storing envoys only for a sudden shot. So it's best to take them down. For City-States adjacent to multiple players, they're easily taken down by players who do not have enough envoys. Since they are eventually to be taken down, why not take down them early?
Yes, they should be killed. That's one of the tips in the guide under "Basic Tips"
"
10: KILL CITY STATES:

•|• Not sure why people do not do this as much as possible the bonus you'd get from a city state is less than what you're going to get from that city by capturing it, also you're DENYING the bonus to other players so unless you've got a super strong city state near you (Zanzibar/Carthage/Kabul/ETC) If it's anywhere near your main city (say within around 12 tiles of your capital) you're better off just capturing it to get the free district and yields as well as any luxuries/strategic/bonus resources in the area and you basically get free bonuses and upgrades for fighting them.
"
That does not mean however that one should not utilize a strong city state for as long as is possible: I'll keep Carthage alive until someone invests a substantial amount into them (10+ envoys) at which point I'll have received a good 50ish turns of extra trade routes and production and can remove it from the game should anyone truly wish to contest my Suzerainship.

Also you've always got the option to Liberate a captured City State for the Suzerain bonus later in the game if you're looking to utilize Globalizations +10% Science per Suzerained City State!

For England you forget to mention 3 very important things

1. In civ 5, Elizabeth's ability was +1 movement for naval combat units. This still exists as long as you build your boats in an RNDY. This +1 means you can keep up with a fleeing foe AND shoot... scary powerful ... on the opposite side, you can just escape every time with +1 movement. This is sooo powerful MP wise.

2. RNDY gives +2 gold off continent which also considered an adjacency bonus. This means off continent RNDY with a shipyard and NO sea resources will give +10 production with an adjacency card in play and using the money triangle.

3. Due to point 2 the RNDY combines with a CH at a river mouth triangulated with your city district nets you +8 gold on continent and +10 off continent (+20 with the right adjacency card).....

England with double trade routes and these things in mind is a money moths with a good production boost. Why bother with +4 per trade route card when you can get +3 gold per triangle from a much earlier card that just snowballs with adjacent sea resources.

For England you forget to mention 3 very important things

1. In civ 5, Elizabeth's ability was +1 movement for naval combat units. This still exists as long as you build your boats in an RNDY. This +1 means you can keep up with a fleeing foe AND shoot... scary powerful ... on the opposite side, you can just escape every time with +1 movement. This is sooo powerful MP wise.

2. RNDY gives +2 gold off continent which also considered an adjacency bonus. This means off continent RNDY with a shipyard and NO sea resources will give +10 production with an adjacency card in play and using the money triangle.

3. Due to point 2 the RNDY combines with a CH at a river mouth triangulated with your city district nets you +8 gold on continent and +10 off continent (+20 with the right adjacency card).....

England with double trade routes and these things in mind is a money moths with a good production boost. Why bother with +4 per trade route card when you can get +3 gold per triangle from a much earlier card that just snowballs with adjacent sea resources.
I haven't completed the civilizations sections. Not even close to completed :p there's a note in red text above the Civilization Title before America saying so.

But ill be sure to add those tips in when I get to England :)

12 turns of usage is a long time at the beginning of the game so I label it as static (on other speeds the turns simply go higher and higher)

But it's not always 12 turns on the same speed; it can be fewer; sometimes not needed at all if the first city state you meet is religious. Goody hut discovery of relic can also cut the number of turns but is rare.
In any case, I consider "Burst" more of a goal oriented thing ; (in this case found a pantheon) than number of turns involved.

But it's not always 12 turns on the same speed; it can be fewer; sometimes not needed at all if the first city state you meet is religious. Goody hut discovery of relic can also cut the number of turns but is rare.
In any case, I consider "Burst" more of a goal oriented thing ; (in this case found a pantheon) than number of turns involved.
I like your reasoning. I'll change it :)

As long as you're planning your tech paths correctly while using technology boosts and properly investing in infrastructure up to Military Science you'll stay about even in technology without building a single campus via raw population (I tend to build all of my campuses at around turn 75-95) after Enlightenment, and so Rationalism

Strange for me. I can't imagine delaying campuses for so long, especially when best rushes are fast rushes, i.e. when cavs appear around 70-75(assuming at least 8-9 of them).

Great guide btw!

Top Bottom