Civ3MultiTool - Now at Civfanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by IceBlaZe
Gramphos, can you post the source code or do you preffer to keep that to yourself?
I was just interested how it looks, but if you dont want to I understand you.
Right now I want to keep it for myself. I might make it public later. If you want to know how a specific part/function works I might help you out.

The main functions (BIC/SAV Input/Output, calls to Common dialogs) are about 2800 lines (comments included (might be 2500 lines without (just guessing)))

The Functions for PCX graphics stay at 230 lines

My file with constants, types (structures) and variables is 580 lines. (Yes I decided to move them to their own file to get some overview over them and the functions, but some types (40 lines) are still in the PCX-function file)

I have 120 lines for the file with System Functions, types and constants.

What programming language do you use?

What programming language do you use?
As the tool requires VB5 runtimes it must be Visual Basic 5. :rolleyes:

(Even thou I mostly use C++ for bigger projects, but this is too big to convert.)

Can you post the file you try to load?

Hey Gramphos. I'm a little late posting the save game but here it is. It doesn't have an error message, but i can tell something is wrong because i just got Steam Power and i have coal but can't build a factory and my captured cities can't build temples.

Sorry, forgot about the VB5 runtimes.
I wish I knew how to program like you, but I am too lazy too learn, and I know I wont go for something like computers in the future.

I have an idea for a tool for you - Zoom-In/Zoom-Out map viewer, if it is not too complicated for you, it will be very useful (you keep it open while diting maps, and each time you click something like 'reload' is reloads the map and you can zoom in and out to see how it looks').

Is it possible?

Sorry, forgot about the VB5 runtimes.
I wish I knew how to program like you, but I am too lazy too learn, and I know I wont go for something like computers in the future.

I have an idea for a tool for you - Zoom-In/Zoom-Out map viewer, if it is not too complicated for you, it will be very useful (you keep it open while diting maps, and each time you click something like 'reload' is reloads the map and you can zoom in and out to see how it looks').

Is it possible?
I can draw one screen (starting at a specific coord) with VB, but to make it scrollable I'd need to use C++.

I tried copying the American Civ and turning it into Canada, but It crashes CivIII when I click on "New Game". Am I missing something?

I have a few questions:

1) Is it safe to copy one civilization into several others? Like making the american into Spanish, Portogese, Viking etc.
2) If I do so, would the game crash if I choose to play all those civs that are copied from one civ?
3) When copying a wonder/small wonder, will the new wonder get all that the old one got, including the splash screen?
4) When copying a building, will the new building get all the icons etc that the old one gots? What about city view?

I believe I read some posts above that you could add 16 new civs, does it matter wich original civ you are copying from? When I have added new civs, will it be safe to go into Foreign advisor screen?

Before the patch I once used your tool to make 10-12 new civs, that crashed after the first turn...? Is there something that has changed with the new patch?

Also does it copy the civelopedia text aswell?

Originally posted by Risbinroch
I have a few questions:

1) Is it safe to copy one civilization into several others? Like making the american into Spanish, Portogese, Viking etc.
Right now there is no known way to get civs work with the foreign advisor.
2) If I do so, would the game crash if I choose to play all those civs that are copied from one civ?
The game would crash at the foreign advisor, if you just copied one civ.
3) When copying a wonder/small wonder, will the new wonder get all that the old one got, including the splash screen?
Yes the splash screen will be copied. However it can be changed by editing of pediaicons.txt after the copy.
4) When copying a building, will the new building get all the icons etc that the old one gots? What about city view?
Right now the icons will be duplicated in the buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx, but the cityview doesn't get the building.

I believe I read some posts above that you could add 16 new civs, does it matter wich original civ you are copying from? When I have added new civs, will it be safe to go into Foreign advisor screen?
That was written before all the now known problems of adding civs got known. So right now, with v1.16f or v1.07f of the game there is no way to get the foreign advisor to work.

Before the patch I once used your tool to make 10-12 new civs, that crashed after the first turn...? Is there something that has changed with the new patch?
It might be that all the civs has the same Civilopedia Entry. The game might crash then.

Also does it copy the civelopedia text aswell?
For buildings if you change the Civilopedia Entry. In other cases the Pedia entry is unchanged, which mean that the copied stuff get the same entry as the default.

i really think the tutorial thing is a good idea, since i can't figure out how to work this thing.

I've been trying to add a new map size, giant (256x256), and I really am befuddled.

What am i supposed to do?

I've tried Using the Copy Tool to copy a Huge map, but then it doesn't show up in the editor. There is still on the 5 normal selections under "World sizes". I tried adding a giant map, then copying it, nothing...

i also am running into the .BAK thing.

Could someone guide me in the right direction (a tutorial, Gramphos???)?

i really think the tutorial thing is a good idea, since i can't figure out how to work this thing.

I've been trying to add a new map size, giant (256x256), and I really am befuddled.

What am i supposed to do?

I've tried Using the Copy Tool to copy a Huge map, but then it doesn't show up in the editor. There are still only the 5 normal selections under "World sizes". I tried adding a giant map, then copying it, nothing...

I also am running into the .BAK thing.

Could someone guide me in the right direction (a tutorial, Gramphos???)?

This version is one of the least tested versions I post, but I'm short of time so I'll go for it.

It shall be able to import a BIC as map into a Saved Game

MummyMan:
Do you use any modified civ3mod.bic (I can load your file)

5 downloads

A bug in the BIC I/O-system that made it impossible to import maps fixed.

228 downloads

Gramphos, I am trying to copy a terrain type (as this seems to be the only way to add a new terrain), but every time I do so with the copytool, the Civ3editor crashes when you load the .bic file I don't think this is a problem with your program, rather it is probably with Civ, but I was wondering if you have experienced this problem, or could offer a few suggestions.

Also, to Exsanguination (Hey! this is twice I written you today). you can add a larger map type with the hacked CivEditor. Just open a .bic file with it and go to World Sizes (I think) and click Add. I have added a Giga map (256x256) as well as a Smallworld map ( 16x16) for playtesting mods.

Well, most of the CopyTool were made before I got the game, ant therefore untested with the game. I still haven't tested everything, but the only thing I've taken out is the ERA copy. That is because I want to allow the advance users to find out ways to get things to work, if none can say how to do it, by themselves, rather then disabling it because it can't be done as far as anyone knows.

Regarding copying terrains I think it can be hard to do. Mostly because the graphics. What I based my tool on was what the BIC-format supported, and not what the game supported.

Originally posted by ahenobarb
Gramphos, I am trying to copy a terrain type (as this seems to be the only way to add a new terrain), but every time I do so with the copytool, the Civ3editor crashes when you load the .bic file I don't think this is a problem with your program, rather it is probably with Civ, but I was wondering if you have experienced this problem, or could offer a few suggestions.

On copying terrains I have a way to work around it ;)

Remember those nice oasis we used to have in Civ1 & Civ2? (maybe just one but I can't remember now :) ) Civ3 do not have oasis. So instead of adding a new terrain, I added a bonus resources call oasis and they only appear in the desert :D

Thanks for the suggestion Dark Sheer, however, I want a completely new terrain rather than a resource. So It looks like I will need to cannibalize one of the existing terrains. It would be too bad if the number of terrains is hard-coded, but not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom