Civ5 Complete + Free DLC (scenario) on the way (Feb 4th)!

If it comes on sale via steam I will. I wouldn't be surprised if come the summer sales it will be dirt cheap. I'm in no rush.

What would they call it if they included [Leugi's] civs as well in it? Conquest of the New World: Godly Edition? :p

New World Getting Its Own Back, probably.

so this has all the DLC too and all the maps ? if true then I will just need to get this instead of buying both GK and BNW

I have already played this scenario. It is a version of the scenario we all know but with rules changed (Ex: the Europeans get victory points for Gold and Native Americans get victory points for Faith) as well as new city-states, Wonders, Natural Wonders, new civs (obviously, Maya, Shoshone, Portugal and the Netherlands), and features not included in the Vanilla version like Religion and Ideology.

A question I have: Why is France a Protestant country in this scenario? I know there was a considerable Protestant population in France at the time (10% of the population, including approx. 50% of Nobles and middle-class), but why make them Protestant instead of like letting them decide? For example, their capital having 5 Catholics and 5 Protestants at the first turn.

The expansion packs make a massive difference, Quintillus. I'd highly recommend getting that complete version, sure you'd be impressed.

Where do you get it? Of all the games I play Civ seems to be the most challenging to get solid information concerning the game, updates and DLC's.

This appears to be the area to make the purchase, however I have most of the content included in the Complete Edition. I'm curious and I posted on the Facebook page, as to how we can obtain the additional content without having to repurchase what we already have.

Steam Civ V Complete Edition

what stores can we get it in ? that would be nice for people who like cds/physical copy of games

Would Civ5 complete require a Internet connection? At present I have Civ4 on a unconnected PC and prefer it that way.

So Be It.

Would Civ5 complete require a Internet connection? At present I have Civ4 on a unconnected PC and prefer it that way.

So Be It.

Absolutely. Civ5 is locked behind the Steamworks DRM system where, not only do you have to be connected online to "activate" it and regularly online to reactivate it at various intervals, it's also tied to an account such that the company can [and does] revoke things from your 'library' for any reason they feel like, with no need to explain... which, as they admitted this week, may even involve them sending back your browsing history to them.

It's best not to get Civ5, sadly.

Absolutely. Civ5 is locked behind the Steamworks DRM system where, not only do you have to be connected online to "activate" it and regularly online to reactivate it at various intervals, it's also tied to an account such that the company can [and does] revoke things from your 'library' for any reason they feel like, with no need to explain... which, as they admitted this week, may even involve them sending back your browsing history to them.

I had a bad experience with this and the new X-Com. I was offline for several months and I cannot get the Steamworks or the game to work.

Thanks. I don't like to be owned by anyone.

So Be It.

Civ5 is locked behind the Steamworks DRM system where, not only do you have to be connected online to "activate" it and regularly online to reactivate it at various interval,...

That is complete nonsense. You can play any Steam game in Offline mode so that you never need to connect to their servers in order to play it. I spent a couple of years playing Fallout: New Vegas without any sort of internet connection at all, and there was never any problems. Even still, I always play my Steam games in Offline mode and only get the occasional updates for the client itself, without ever having to log online with the games at all. Not once have I ever been forced to do so. You're so negative about the system that you can't even be bothered passing along accurate information.

Thanks. I don't like to be owned by anyone.

So Be It.

Pay no attention to what he mentioned, it's nothing but a pack of lies meant to bad mouth Steam. It doesn't work at all the way he describes. The only time you need to be online is to activate the game, or purchase it in the first place. I wasn't too thrilled about using Steam myself at first, I even spent time ranting about online activation DRM schemes myself here, but now that I've had some experience with it I find it's not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it can be quite convenient to buy games from them. If you hope to play computer games in the future, you'd best get used to online activation because that is the direction the entire industry is moving towards. Hard copy versions will eventually be a thing of the past. And even if you manage to find one, you will be required to go online to at least activate it.

That is complete nonsense. You can play any Steam game in Offline mode so that you never need to connect to their servers in order to play it. I spent a couple of years playing Fallout: New Vegas without any sort of internet connection at all, and there was never any problems. Even still, I always play my Steam games in Offline mode and only get the occasional updates for the client itself, without ever having to log online with the games at all. Not once have I ever been forced to do so. You're so negative about the system that you can't even be bothered passing along accurate information.

Pay no attention to what he mentioned, it's nothing but a pack of lies meant to bad mouth Steam. It doesn't work at all the way he describes. The only time you need to be online is to activate the game, or purchase it in the first place. I wasn't too thrilled about using Steam myself at first, I even spent time ranting about online activation DRM schemes myself here, but now that I've had some experience with it I find it's not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it can be quite convenient to buy games from them. If you hope to play computer games in the future, you'd best get used to online activation because that is the direction the entire industry is moving towards. Hard copy versions will eventually be a thing of the past. And even if you manage to find one, you will be required to go online to at least activate it.

Thanks for that. You've given me more detailed information regarding how it works. But I've learnt the hard way. If I can't buy the hard copy, I won't buy it. I recently bought a Sony Vaio Window 8 laptop without the hardcopy disk and am continually held to ransom by both Sony and Windows. It's not just the game scene which is changing, it's the entire industry. I,d prefer to change my lifestyle than continue on that path.
I don't mind online activation; it's all that comes with it that bugs me.

So Be It.

I recently bought a Sony Vaio Window 8 laptop without the hardcopy disk and am continually held to ransom by both Sony and Windows.

Well that's a completely different situation. I wouldn't buy a machine that didn't come with an OS disc either. It can cause too many headaches if you ever have to reinstall because of a virus etc. But buying a game through Steam doesn't remotely compare to that scenario. If you ever have the need to reinstall it, you can download it at any time. But you can get hard copies of Civ 5 if you look around, it's a big enough title that many brick and mortar places will carry it. You'll still need to activate it through Steam, but once that's done you never have to deal with their system again if you don't want to.

While you can get hard copy of Civ5, all other content including expansions is download content only.

And it's not like hard copy on itself is playable.
It needs to update through Steam in order to download most recent changes to the game, compared to 2010 release, before it can be activated through the Steam. As well as any bought download content, expansions included.

Comparing this to digital release, with hard copy you only save a bit of bandwidth, since base game is on disc, and that's all.

While you can get hard copy of Civ5, all other content including expansions is download content only.

If he were to find a copy of Civ 5 Complete, he'd get all the content. The trick will be to find it. Less and less retailers carry hard copy computer games. My local EB Games is down to a small shelf in the corner that only carries the latest blockbuster hits. And once they run out of the initial stock of those, they will never get any more of them. The other stores in my area are just as bad, if not worse. With Steam, the game is always available.

Top Bottom