Civ5 Confirmed Features and Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really a mech then? Those miniatures don't look so good up close BTW...

Yes, it is a mech. Please use this thread to discuss the miniatures. This thread is reserved for mentioning new features / versions / configurations that aren't listed yet.

Sure thing...

Continuing with what I wrote above, but going with a much better tone, Greg, about the DLC's and preorder bonus, we have the follow confirmed so far:

Amazon - Cradle of Civilization: Asia
D2D - First DLC: 2 civ + map pack
Steam - Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia
Deluxe Version - Babylon

Besides that we know that the first DLC can be bought separately, but there is no mention about the other pre order bonus. So the pretty simple question is. Will I be able to buy them all separately after? I ask because I really want the Special Edition, and it would be a sad thing to not get it because I can't get the other stuff anywhere else.

Continuing with what I wrote above, but going with a much better tone, Greg, about the DLC's and preorder bonus, we have the follow confirmed so far:

Amazon - Cradle of Civilization: Asia
D2D - First DLC: 2 civ + map pack
Steam - Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia
Deluxe Version - Babylon

Besides that we know that the first DLC can be bought separately, but there is no mention about the other pre order bonus. So the pretty simple question is. Will I be able to buy them all separately after? I ask because I really want the Special Edition, and it would be a sad thing to not get it because I can't get the other stuff anywhere else.
Good point and you're right. The DLC Pack from D2D is confirmed to be available, because they're doing just that (giving the first available DLC pack away). For the other three bonusses, it's not known. I've added this to the OP about the versions/configurations.

New map Pack confirmed. Webhallen (Sweden) now offers a pre-purchase bonus. It's the first time I see: Cradle of Civilization: The Mediterranean.

Here's the info:

Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: The Mediterranean
The period of Classical Antiquity saw the rise of city states from Phoenicia, Greece, and later Rome and Persia. Their struggles all centered on the great sea in the “Middle of the Earth”, hence the name Mediterranean. This map will cover the entire Mediterranean basin including the nearby peninsulas and coasts where these great empires grew and prospered.

I posted this in another thread but I post it here as well:

Yet another map-pack in Sweden, now on cdon.se. Heres the info:

* Cradle of Civilization: The Americas

Although civilization blossomed later in the western hemisphere, the region from Peru in the south to Mexico in the north was just as important as an incubator for the development of ancient cultures. This map would span this rugged area of jungles and highlands.

I posted this in another thread but I post it here as well:

Yet another map-pack in Sweden, now on cdon.se. Heres the info:

* Cradle of Civilization: The Americas

Although civilization blossomed later in the western hemisphere, the region from Peru in the south to Mexico in the north was just as important as an incubator for the development of ancient cultures. This map would span this rugged area of jungles and highlands.
Updated in the OP. That makes 10 permutations ... and counting.
Good thing CDON.SE doesn't offer the Special Edition with The Americas, or we'd have 11 by now. :mischief:

Edit: CDON.no CDON.fi and CDON.dk also offer this pre-order bonus of The Americas map pack in respectively Norway, Finland and Denmark.

Yes, it is a mech. Please use this thread to discuss the miniatures. This thread is reserved for mentioning new features / versions / configurations that aren't listed yet.

I don't mind people discussing anything in regards to the new features and new info in this thread

A. Babylon Civilization with leader Nebuchadnezzar II - Deluxe download only, not confirmed as DLC
B. DLC Pack: Two Civilizations and One Scenario - Will be available to all as DLC late 2010
C. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Asia - Amazon only, not confirmed as DLC
D. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Americas - CDON only, not confirmed as DLC
E. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia - Steam only, not confirmed as DLC
F. Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranean - Webhallen only, not confirmed as DLC

...2K/Firaxis really, really went dumb.
Seriously. There is no rational reason behind dividing up your release like that. At this rate, if any more "You only get x if you buy from y" options pop up, Civ5 deserves to fail as hard as it will.

That's on top of the fact they've already got all of that DLC ready.
Hey guys, don't you think you could, y'know. Just release a complete game? Then again, you apparently can't even organize the release of an incomplete game, so releasing a complete one must be asking too much.

I'm just glad Civ4 wasn't botched like that, and was made in a way where we can just keep expanding on it. That way if Firaxis/2K doesn't fix the situation, we still have a great game to fall back on, and Civ5 can just be "It didn't happen" entry in the franchise.

This system can work with minor, minor things. Like New Vegas just granting early access to late-game content and that content depends on where you bought it.
I mean Fallout 3 didn't go "You want Mothership Zeta? Buy F3 from Best Buy. You want Point Lookout? Buy F3 from Steam." All it did was Standard Edition, Deluxe Edition (which was just like... behind the scenes dvd, soundtrack, artbook, bobblehead), and Super Expensive Edition (Deluxe + pip boy clock.)

I consider map packs "minor things" . . . I suspect that most people play games on random maps - in either single or multi-player.

Yeah, the more I hear of exclusive bonuses the more convinced I'm becoming to just buy the regular edition, or at least whichever is cheapest that's available to me.

Sounds like there's going to be a crapload of DLC, so better to just wait for the time when it's all bundled in one package aka an expansion pack. Map packs are something that talented modders can make easily enough, or even kids can make probably half-decent ones.

Yes, map packs are almost trivial to make, if we get a decent world builder. I'm far from convinced that that will be the case though....

I'm still waiting to here about how DLC and modding will work together. For example, if there is a DLC of a new civilization (say Babylon), will modders be able to create a Babylonian civ and distribute it for free? How similar is it allowed to be to the DLC version? Ie: can it have exactly the same effect but with different leader/UU/UB graphics? Or will it simply be impossible to mod in new civs.

Until I know this for sure, I am not deciding which version to buy (if any).

I love the new features so far. And the new city states should add a somewhat Roleplay aspect to the game to give more of a personal touch to your world.

I just hope the game editer/world builder is better than last time.... I've heard from several folks that Civ 4 has been the most moddable civ so far..... for me, though, it was Civ 3. Its interface was far simpler, yet offered robust options to customize your world and scenario. Simply put, I'm not good at scripting :rolleyes:

I consider map packs "minor things" . . . I suspect that most people play games on random maps - in either single or multi-player.

I don't agree that they are minor things, I guess I play at least half of my games on "real" maps. Hopefully we will get a good world builder though so the modding community can provide us with high-quality maps.

Yeah, the more I hear of exclusive bonuses the more convinced I'm becoming to just buy the regular edition, or at least whichever is cheapest that's available to me.

Sounds like there's going to be a crapload of DLC, so better to just wait for the time when it's all bundled in one package aka an expansion pack. Map packs are something that talented modders can make easily enough, or even kids can make probably half-decent ones.

Yeah I'm getting like this. I just want the whole game you know? I don't even really mind paying a little extra for it. But there's so many freakin' possibilities and none of them seem to be "complete". I might just go for the old fashioned basic game-in-a-box and then add on the bits of DLC I want (extra civs primarily) later. The permutations are doing my head in.

Can they even copyright a map pack? I mean, how does that work? If someone else made a map in the map editor that was the same as one of there's, what would that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom