Civ5 'Scrambled Continents' DLC available!

They are releasing this to recoup their losses from the failure of the new XCOM game. Way to milk your loyal fanbase 2K. After we buy both expansions in droves, you reward us with an overly priced DLC? This is what EA does for Simcity and the Sims 3. It'll make me think twice before I purchase something from 2k next time.

They are releasing this to recoup their losses from the failure of the new XCOM game. Way to milk your loyal fanbase 2K. After we buy both expansions in droves, you reward us with an overly priced DLC? This is what EA does for Simcity and the Sims 3. It'll make me think twice before I purchase something from 2k next time.

Aren't you a bit too extreme? I think XCOM sold very well and probably upcoming expansion will fix it problems, same as G&K and BNW fixed Civ 5 vanilla (same story for Civ 4). I'm not sure if you are fan of Firaxis or 2K, because 2K is releasing games I would personally consider weird, like NBA.

About this DLC. You don't have to buy it, it doesn't remove important features from your gameplay experience. Comparing it to EA and Sims it's just ridiculous. If 2K/Firaxis were anything like EA they would release BNW like: Trade DLC 20$, New Nations 20$, Religion 20$, Ideology 20$, etc.

The new maps sound interesting, but i think I'm more interested in what Scrambled Nations will entail...

These are actually guilt trip donation requests. I reckon these scripts were knocked out back when they made SfA and were held back for release with the free patch. It's basically an ask for a donation when you start enjoying the patch, but you get a little something for that donation.

These are actually guilt trip donation requests. I reckon these scripts were knocked out back when they made SfA and were held back for release with the free patch. It's basically an ask for a donation when you start enjoying the patch, but you get a little something for that donation.

This. They'll likely make more DLC civs if these sell well enough.

I hate "pre-set" Earth maps myself - much prefer totally random ones where I have no idea where anything is.

Am I right in thinking that this map pack is no use to me in that case?

Aren't you a bit too extreme? I think XCOM sold very well and probably upcoming expansion will fix it problems, same as G&K and BNW fixed Civ 5 vanilla (same story for Civ 4). I'm not sure if you are fan of Firaxis or 2K, because 2K is releasing games I would personally consider weird, like NBA.

About this DLC. You don't have to buy it, it doesn't remove important features from your gameplay experience. Comparing it to EA and Sims it's just ridiculous. If 2K/Firaxis were anything like EA they would release BNW like: Trade DLC 20$, New Nations 20$, Religion 20$, Ideology 20$, etc.
I think it was talking about the xcom first person shooter thing that just came out

What a bunch of cheapskates :lol: it's only 5 bucks :cry: We need to support them if we want them to support the game :goodjob:
Well thanks to the way the world economy is '5 bucks' is not really good value for money these days. Especially as the other map pack will cost another '5 bucks'. So add in the cost of BNW and that is an expensive upgrade.

It could be argued that vanilla was unfinished, G&K added elements that should have been in Vanilla. Add up all the DLC and it comes to quite an expensive package if you bought them all at full price. But here you are getting a few map scripts for '5 bucks' and a few more for another '5 bucks' when they could have been included in BNW.

Personally I don't use the extra maps so not an essential purchase.

What a bunch of cheapskates :lol: it's only 5 bucks :cry: We need to support them if we want them to support the game :goodjob:

Interesting. While your certainly entitled to your point of view, mine vastly differs from yours. Additionally, "we" is subjective to where support is concerned. In that aspect, "I" have no real interest supporting this particular model of the franchise.

Can anyone confirm that this map pack is just pre-set earth maps and not new random maps?

Id be interested in new decent random maps but Im really not interested in existing parts of Earth with different interiors and I don't know why other people are really. Part of the fun of Civ for me is discovering the world you are in - playing on a pre-set Earth map means you know exactly where you are and where everyone else is which defeats the object to me (as well as making things easier of course!)

Can anyone confirm that this map pack is just pre-set earth maps and not new random maps?

Hi.

To answer your question, in a sense it's both, but the maps definitely lean more to random.

Here's the blurb from Amazon describing the map pack:

The Scrambled Continents map pack includes real geographic locations with special scripts that produce randomized interiors each time a new game begins. While the familiar outline of the continent’s geography stays constant, the inner heart of the world changes each time you play for endless replayability on countless plausible worlds. Maps include Africa, Eastern Asia, North and South America, Western Europe, the Middle East, a thawed Antarctica, new scripted maps for Small Continents and Oceania, plus one map including all of Earth’s continents.

That's accurate and fairly pithy. The shape of the land remains the same, but forests, terrain types, resource types and locations, city states and civ start locations are randomized. The number of civs and city states can be varied, as can other game launch settings. Each map has customizations attuned to preserve a general flavor like the real world area being represented, but provide enough randomness to make it worth playing multiple times. (I have always thought that the magic of a random map, and the wonder of what's under that next bit of map fog, is at the core of what makes Civ a special franchise. So much so, I found myself in the role of expanding the range of available maps, for the past decade now.)

Most of the maps in these two map packs are very much akin to Great Plains or Amazon: there's no surprises in the shape of the land, but there's no way you could craft a "perfect" plan for them, the way you can if replaying a drawn map multiple times. Exploration and adaptation matter.

There's fan-made versions of nearly every inch of Earth's surface, but map scripts still tend to be few and far between. Many players hunger for the random maps, so here's another batch of them, assembled by me with as much attention to detail as I put into what has come before.

These are *not* drawn maps. Truly they are map scripts, just like Great Plains is. The land shape there is already known, too. Every map script I've ever produced for Civ4 or Civ5 has predetermined, fixed elements intermixed with randomization. The variances in the intermix are what separate one map script from another. The randomization is there to provide replayability for those who like any given map style. ... In that sense, the new map packs are highly randomized, and the maps in the packs differ one from another in flavor.

Someone earlier in the thread asked why these map scripts aren't part of BNW, but I was otherwise occupied during BNW production. I wasn't part of it. Reception for Scramble For Africa has been very positive, though, overall, so the demand from the fans for more randomized maps has been answered.

The merging of drawn elements and scripted elements began long ago with Great Plains, and has been expanded in the Civ5 DLC. The New World scenario has a pre-drawn Europe component, but random Americas. Polynesia has predrawn home islands and drawn versions of some key islands, but the rest are randomly generated island chains. Civ5 has long been on a steady course of ever-more intermix between drawn and scripted elements, to expand the range of available content, and this is a thorough push forward along that trend line -- now with the ability to use WorldBuilder maps as a base, and script anything at all on top of them, changing or adding *anything* desired. The technology in play has reached a new level, in this regard.

When I signed on to work on Civ4, the franchise was still working with just the core three map scripts: Pangaea, Continents, and Archipelago. Great Plains was among the first batch of new map types I created for Civ4 -- and all the way back then I had the vision of applying that concept to numerous other real-world locations: familiar coastlines, familiar climates, randomized details. These new DLC packs represent the full culmination of that vision. I know they're not for everybody, as some fans prefer drawn maps, and some don't play enough to play every map once, much less several times. But if you're still playing Civ5 a couple of years after release, maybe they're actually just what the doctor ordered, for you: more random-map fun on NEW map scripts, for the taking.

- Sirian

So this Scrambled Continents DLC is maps with outlines from Earth but with different interiors?

Sorry for seeming to be stupid about this! :blush:

I dont want any existing Earth outline maps in my games as I dont want to know what the geography is until I discover it. So it seems this DLC is not for me then - ill stick to my random continent/archipelago starts then! :)

So this Scrambled Continents DLC is maps with outlines from Earth but with different interiors?

Sorry for seeming to be stupid about this! :blush:

I dont want any existing Earth outline maps in my games as I dont want to know what the geography is until I discover it. So it seems this DLC is not for me then - ill stick to my random continent/archipelago starts then! :)

There are two fully random scripts in with the eight drawn-outline scripts. If you're a big fan of Continents and Archipelago, you'd probably really enjoy Oceania (a concept much easier understood if seen as opposed to a description) and Small Continents Plus. But whether you'd get your value out of the pack when you only care about 2/10ths of it, I couldn't say. Depends on how much you play and whether you liked the new scripts enough to play them over and over and over. I don't think there's a way to pick and choose among the maps -- to download a single song, so to speak, instead of the whole album -- so you'd have to decide whether two new songs that are right up your alley are worth buying a whole album to get.

I have seen most players in this thread opine that $5 for some maps is pricey, and I can understand that point of view. But if a player is still playing Civ5 three years after initial release, and buys one of these map packs and tries out every map in the pack, right there they've gotten ten games of Civ on new content. That's quite some hours of fresh entertainment for only a few dollars. If they like some of the maps enough to replay them, the game count jumps up to fifteen or twenty fresh games. If there's a favorite they end up playing five or six times, the count jumps up even more. A game of Civ takes hours to play. Someone who tries out only a couple of the maps and enjoys the games would be paying pennies per hour. Surely someone hungry for new random maps who ends up playing most of the maps in the pack would be getting their money's worth compared to those same dollars spent on part of a ticket for a movie.

Civ4 and Civ5 have opened the door wide to fan-based contributions of map scripts. Not a lot of new scripters have popped up, though. Why that is, I'm not sure. Yes, designing and programming a high quality map script is no easy feat. I suppose if it were easier, more people would do it. But the chance has been there. Since the community hasn't really filled this niche on its own, well, I can't afford to spend weeks much less months or years on pro bono map work. Myself, my pregnant wife, and our pets have to eat. So Firaxis has to charge *some*thing, or they wouldn't be able to pay me to make the maps. ... I totally respect anyone who says the maps aren't a good deal for them. But back in the days when I was a Civ3 Succession Games player here at CFC, playing on the three maps available, I had a dream of *greatly* expanding the range of available maps. If only Firaxis would hire me, I could design and program dozens of new map types for Civ. Well it turns out they actually did that, and now there's so many maps available not even I could name them all off the top of my head. I've had the freedom to make maps as good as I could imagine them to be. Firaxis deserves credit for that, for caring enough to continue to try to innovate, and not just pump out retread material. At least that's my opinion. Thanks for hearing me out. :cool:

- Sirian

There are two fully random scripts in with the eight drawn-outline scripts. If you're a big fan of Continents and Archipelago, you'd probably really enjoy Oceania (a concept much easier understood if seen as opposed to a description) and Small Continents Plus. But whether you'd get your value out of the pack when you only care about 2/10ths of it, I couldn't say. Depends on how much you play and whether you liked the new scripts enough to play them over and over and over. I don't think there's a way to pick and choose among the maps -- to download a single song, so to speak, instead of the whole album -- so you'd have to decide whether two new songs that are right up your alley are worth buying a whole album to get.

I have seen most players in this thread opine that $5 for some maps is pricey, and I can understand that point of view. But if a player is still playing Civ5 three years after initial release, and buys one of these map packs and tries out every map in the pack, right there they've gotten ten games of Civ on new content. That's quite some hours of fresh entertainment for only a few dollars. If they like some of the maps enough to replay them, the game count jumps up to fifteen or twenty fresh games. If there's a favorite they end up playing five or six times, the count jumps up even more. A game of Civ takes hours to play. Someone who tries out only a couple of the maps and enjoys the games would be paying pennies per hour. Surely someone hungry for new random maps who ends up playing most of the maps in the pack would be getting their money's worth compared to those same dollars spent on part of a ticket for a movie.

Civ4 and Civ5 have opened the door wide to fan-based contributions of map scripts. Not a lot of new scripters have popped up, though. Why that is, I'm not sure. Yes, designing and programming a high quality map script is no easy feat. I suppose if it were easier, more people would do it. But the chance has been there. Since the community hasn't really filled this niche on its own, well, I can't afford to spend weeks much less months or years on pro bono map work. Myself, my pregnant wife, and our pets have to eat. So Firaxis has to charge *some*thing, or they wouldn't be able to pay me to make the maps. ... I totally respect anyone who says the maps aren't a good deal for them. But back in the days when I was a Civ3 Succession Games player here at CFC, playing on the three maps available, I had a dream of *greatly* expanding the range of available maps. If only Firaxis would hire me, I could design and program dozens of new map types for Civ. Well it turns out they actually did that, and now there's so many maps available not even I could name them all off the top of my head. I've had the freedom to make maps as good as I could imagine them to be. Firaxis deserves credit for that, for caring enough to continue to try to innovate, and not just pump out retread material. At least that's my opinion. Thanks for hearing me out. :cool:

- Sirian

Thanks Sirian! :goodjob:

I think I might go for this pack after all then. Oceania and Small Continents Plus sound like maps Id definitely use.

Its not a question of money at all - Ive bought Civ right from (nearly) the year dot and I don't begrudge any money spent on it (I usually pre-order) as I know Im getting far more than my money's worth in game time and enjoyment! I actually never bought Civ 1 - I copied it (I was a kid and had no money :blush:) and me and my dad (eventually) played it to death. After that me and my dad bought every single release and every expansion of course.

Just bought this in case anyone was wondering.

Finally finished my old save game and will definitely try out Oceania or Small Continents Plus in my new game(s) - not starting a new game for a while yet though as have other things to do (and I know from experience that starting a new Civ game is not a good idea when you have things to do! ;))

I picked it up yesterday and so far, so good. I've only played the Oceania map and other than the fact that the north and south borders dead-end (minor gripe), it's pretty fun to play.

Gonna try one of those scrambled maps today.

Hmnn. Unless I am totally misreading Sirian's rather detailed post, random is part of the map structure. I don't believe your going to get a TSL in that regard (and note to self, I actually semi-defended something about Civ V :mischief:).

I would like to play a game on a map with several continents, of which at least one is empty. Because I like colonization, but unlike a Terra map I do not want to start with all civs on 1 continent. Is this new small continents map something for me?

Top Bottom