1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 UI Fix Requests

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by dexters, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Do you want to change the name of your cities?

1. Yes, of course. Early as possible.

100.0%
  2. No, give that kind of liberty to the player is a bad thing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Namaspamus

Namaspamus Warlord

2. the Jack

the Jack Chieftain

Civ 6's interface is quite pretty, and I appreciate all the work that must have gone into making the map go sepia-toned when it's explored but not being actively viewed. That said, that sepia-toning effect renders the game all but unplayable for me. I'm a visual-memory person, and I have a very difficult time remembering where I mean to send a settler when the map doesn't look the same by the time it's time to tell the newly-built settler where to go. I really hope this feature is made optional in a future update, or that one of our amazing modders finds a way to make explored-but-not-in-view less confusing.

The other thing I found massively disappointing in Civ 6 is the complete lack of any non-Mesoamerican Native North American civ. No Iroquois, no Sioux, no Shoshone, no nobody. I'm tired of having to wait for expansions or mods for representation -- I'm of Native (Metis) ancestry -- and it's frankly ridiculous and insulting to have an overabundance of civs from relatively small Europe but not one from comparatively large North America.

I logged a few hours of Civ 6, trying it out, and then I went back to Civ 5, where I can actually enjoy playing; I've logged over 50 hours in Civ 5 since Civ 6 came out. I know from experience that I'll probably find Civ 6 more enjoyable after an expansion and/or mods come out, so I have some hope that wasn't a complete waste of US$80, but I feel like Firaxis should have known better by this point...

3. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

OK I will confess: I am greatly bothered by the location of the backward arrow to close the city state details panel. Not only is it so small, it's not in the same location as the usual close button for the other panels.

TruthfulCake likes this.
  4. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Chieftain

The example by GlobalTree is a far better altermative than vanilla but many people either have 4k screens or plan to buy 4k screens in the near future. Having a UI be unreadable for visually impared players at 1080 and unreadable for all at 4k is rediculous and should be fixed no later than the first expansion!

5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Is there no UI scaling option on the settings? I have to check when I get home

6. mnf

mnf King

There is a scaling option, but it only activates at certain resolutions which I do not possess. I'd imagine it becomes available at 4K? I'm on 1440p and it's greyed out.

But even at 1080p the text is often too small. Or rather, we should take in pitch sizes. A popular pitch size over the last five years had been 0.27, which is 1920x1080@24". But a lot of 1440p "gaming" displays are squeezing into 24" now, giving a 0.21 pitch, making text even smaller.

In our local gaming forum for Civilization VI, one of the biggest complaints during the launch weekend was font size been too small. One player remarked that he bought Civ 6 for his retired father to pass time, and the father literally cannot read half the text.

Fortunately font size hacks were found literally zero-day. But it does show that Firaxis had not seriously considered usability of their interface at all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I found this workaround by googling, but I assume you're probably already using the workaround
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/threa...ton-fixed-on-1440p-4k-–-working-guide.600616/

Will add your comments in my OP since I think it's important to have UI scaling on all resolution modes. 1440p isn't exactly an odd resolution either.

8. Abade69

Abade69 Chieftain

Great job you did there. Most of the stuff you listed have been bothering me aswell. You should add TruthfulCake Proposals too and hope the developers take notes on this. Well done.

9. Ghost_Dancer

Ghost_Dancer Chieftain

Some great suggestions in this thread. Although I'm loving Civ 6 so far, my main gripe is the UI - its clunky and so much information necessary to the game is hidden.

To add to the existing suggestions (I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if these have already been mentioned):

Tooltips: Once a building has been built, it still needs a tool tip showing benefits it gives - sometimes I need to know what my existing buildings do to help me decide what to build next.

Hotkeys: Need to be able to define more hotkeys, especially map scrolling (e.g. I want to use WASD like pretty much EVERY other game - the cursor keys are not comfortable to use when my right hand is always on my mouse). Also, button tooltips should show the hotkey in brackets so its easy to learn them.

Luxury Resources & Amenities: This is just so vague, we need to know which resources a city has access to so we now which ones we need to make the city happy. Also, its impossible to tell which excess resources are needed (being used) and which can be safely traded.

Trade routes: In the list, show how long that route has left until it can be changed. Also, when selecting a trade route, show the previous route.

10. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Warlord

So, it seems like we can all agree that the UI in 6 needs....help. How would you improve the UI?

Caveat - folks, I've played since civ 1. The Civilopedia has always been bad. It usually barely scratches the surface as far as important things to know goes.

Here's my list so far:

1. Go back to the demographics screen instead of the victory progress screen (or add a demographics screen). I think this screen is a good guide for the developers and the direction this screen provides in the development process is part of the reason so much info has gone missing.

2. I'd like to be able to see and sort all available trade routes again, although it isn't as important as it was in 5 so maybe I'll get over it. I'd settle for being able to see when my trader units will be available again, thanks.

3. Build order queue. Decisions matter a lot in Civ 6; so I'd like to be able to queue them up when I make them, and not have to worry about forgetting what I decided to do 10 turns later when I can actually input the decision into the UI.

4. I can haz hotkey to center the map on the active unit without cycling, plz?

5. Map scroll that isn't about as responsive as a lobotomized howler monkey?

6. City/production screen, military screen, diplomacy screen, etc. Please add.

7. Advisors. Plural. In a centralized location. It helps focus your decisions to get a little summary from these guys.

8. The UI is pretty pushy about which unit is getting orders, in what order. You clicked on this other unit instead of the current unit? BLASPHEMY! Those orders SHALL GO TO THE FIRST UNIT IN LINE!

9. Greyed out unit = has used all its moves. These units are sneaky and still have moves left...

10. I'd like to mouse over my production queue and get the info about what I'm building, i.e. mouse over the Hermitage and learn what it provides (or help me remember).

11. Let me rename my cities....

12. This isn't strictly UI, but it is odd that some great works can be moved willy nilly and some have some really strange restrictions. Archaeological museums having to be full before moving artifacts in or out is just annoying, not really strategic.

13. Relics given by the Suzerain bonus of Kandy are credited to "Martyred Apostle". Who is killing my apostles? WHO!?

14. Can we show what a great work actually counts for in the diplomacy UI? I don't really care that it is the Shroud of Turin..that's nice flavor. But I need to know that its a relic more.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. criZp

criZp Emperor

I want city focus to be on the city name label on the map screen, I want all the basic city info to be in a tooltip on that city label, and I want ability to manage production, citizens and tiles with just 1 click on the label

12. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I was wondering if there was a way to give the player a notification if any other Civ builds nukes. It would be nice to know if Ghandi or Gilgamesh built them or really if anyone did.

Prolly not going to happen but was wondering if this type of notification is possible through modding or do we have to wait for the SDK?

Flak Fox likes this.
  13. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

Fix the damn esc button.

Let us cycle between cities with the left and right arrows

14. Kahnugo

Kahnugo Chieftain

My two main issues ui wise is probably:

1. Map pins - at least for me it always selects the top of the list map pin when I create a new, which means I firstly always overwrite anything modified on that particular pin, secondly it makes me have to create the map pin and then select that pin on the map before I can name it choose icon.

2. Religious UI - it is at present uninformative to put it mildly. It's rather dumb that it only shows you stuff when cities have a majority and there is apparently no indicator of passive spread (the arrows does not seem to represent this, but rather an indicator of str of the other religion present, but again this is not really clear :p)

There are other issues, but I can't at present remember what to put here, maybe I'll add the unit cycling, but that's not really an issue for me anymore since I disabled it as soon as I could, very weird though that you CAN turn it off, but it's not a game option.

Edit: As to how I would fix it (hypothetically, I am not knowledgeable about technical details)

1. Turn off the sorting of the pins and make a scroll mechanism so you aren't limited in how many pins you can make

2. Show the status of followers in all cities, about religious spread I would be happy with having it in the civilopedia

15. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

Give us the option for civ5 style fog of war.

16. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Warlord Supporter

Kind of a minor thing, but I wish the trade route sub window wouldn't cover up the mini-map while it is up. I usually remember my cities more by geography than by name, so I find it a little rude that when the trade route sub window comes up I can't use the mini map to zip over to the city that I want to transfer a Trader to.

Here is the screen before I select a Trader. The mini map is on the bottom left and happy.
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...186/AB93D5B85D125B40BB0A77381FF16EC52B822DAE/

Here is the screen after I select a Trader. The mini map is now covered up and sad. And now I need to drag or push my screen over to the city that I want to transfer the Trader to.
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...333/65DC6FC8BFBA2F42C157DE104B66FAEB0486852C/

Abade69 likes this.
  17. Wareo

Wareo Chieftain

I am a long time lurker, rare poster. Been playing Civ games religiously since day 1 of Civ 1. So I just want to give a few thoughts, I am sure other may have mentioned these but curious how many have thought about this too.

Over all I really like the game, but as many have mentioned the UI is sub-par. A few major things for me are.
    1. Slow animation - We we make units move a bit faster? When you have a large army to move, you was way to much time trying to move things correctly.
    2. Terrain view - It would be nice if if you hovered over a terrain hex you could get the info a bit quicker and maybe have the important stuff in bold? ie type of terrain and what is built on it.
    3. Unit build screen - Kind of the opposite of Terrain view. Give it a second or two of hovering before the pop up windows comes up as it makes it kind of a pain to go through your list and pick what you need. Or make it so you can right click on it to get info or just have the window appear off of the list.
    4. City info - I would love to be able to sort my cities by research, gold, etc. This makes it much easier to determine what cities you want to build certain wonders in.
    There are a lot of other little things to that could make the UI much better to use. But the ones I listed seem to slow the game down more than what I think. There are a ton of things that I really like, I just think with some polishing this game could be phenomenal. Again, these are just my opinions/suggestions.

18. ViterboKnight

ViterboKnight King

I agree with the slow unit animation, expecially with ships, when you usually move them for several tiles (5, 6, 8 or more tiles) and you have to wait too long for the movement animation to finish!!

19. Wareo

Wareo Chieftain

Glad I am not the only one, this is tops on my list. It can just take way to long to move a large army and I don't even want to mess with a large Navy

20. Synth

Synth Warlord

In the city screen, when I hover over the icon of a district, it should tell me placement requirements and adjacency bonuses. Sure, when I click on it to build it the game shows me additions to the yield, but I want to be able to see them beforehand so I can plan future district placements.

CoconutTank likes this.