Civ6's First Expansion: Who would you include?

I have to agree with @Vahnstad about the fact that not only European civilisations destroyed native cultures, but elsewhere was more subtle and gradual, like in Egypt and Turkey for example, the ancient Egyptians which are now the Copts have been slowly disappearing and being taken over by Arabs.
This is true culturally but not genetically: numerous studies have shown remarkable continuity between Ancient Egypt and modern Egyptians, and that successive invasions by Nubians, Libyans, Sea People, Greeks, Romans, and Arabs have had remarkably little impact on the Egyptian genetic landscape. Cf. the US where Native Americans makeup less than 1% of the population. (Definitely not saying Europeans are exclusively responsible for atrocities and genocide, nor that some other civilization wouldn't have done the same. Simply pointing out that Egyptians are still Egyptian even if their culture has been Islamicized, whereas Native Americans are a small and shrinking population in their own homeland. The situation in some South American countries is more analogous to Egypt, however.)

I think expansions are needed to include new mechanics, like the World Congress should be included at some point, as well as new end-game mechanics (Ideololigies again ??). I think Civ6 will follow the same pattern as Civ5: Base game> DLCs> first expansion> second expansion, there may be some DLCs between expansions. Anyway, I expect to have at least 50 civilizations and 50 wonders when the game is complete :D.
I wasn't really around for Civ V's development cycle. Did V ever receive free updates that added new content like VI's religion update? E.g. with new buildings/units? Or anything more substantial than bug fixes and balance updates?

I wasn't really around for Civ V's development cycle. Did V ever receive free updates that added new content like VI's religion update? E.g. with new buildings/units? Or anything more substantial than bug fixes and balance updates?

I do not remember, I acquired Civ5 already with all DLCs only in 2013 (when I bought a new notebook), before that I was playing Civ4 because my PC did not support Civ5.

I do not know if there were any such balancing of this kind among the DLCs of Civ5, maybe someone who bought them separately might say so.

Can i already make a list for a second expansion? 9 civs and 3 leaders, assuming that my first expansion with the 9 civs is correct (and the three alternate leaders are Egypt (Ramesses II), France (Joan of Arc) and Spain (Isabella I). The tech three will have additional techs. Economic & Diplomatic changes are made (with World Congress / UN / Diplomatic Victory).

Second expansion will have 10 civs and 5 alternate leaders.

Byzantium
Carthage
Celts
Ethiopia
Muisca
Hungary
Siam
Sweden
Portugal
Vietnam

Russia (Lenin)
England (Elizabeth II)
India (Akbar)
France (Napoleon)
a China or Japan alternate

There are so much civs i want to include :/ :p We also need a separate Italy DLC (with multiple leaders), an Africa DLC, an America's DLC (with Canada and an American leader), and more Asian stuff, and maybe Austria, Hittites and Romania. And we should get Zulu for free :p Oh, we also need more Roman leaders, lol, but that can wait yet.

The problem with the Americas and South America particularly is that we only have archaeological evidence of what were major civs. Moche, Olmec, Nazca, Mississippians, Chimu, Chaco Canyon culture, etc.

England (Elizabeth II)
I very much doubt Her Majesty will consent to have her likeness used in Civ6. Also I think England deserves more than a second figurehead.

Hmm... If I had to plan both expansions, I'd probably made it like this:

1st expansion:
- Ottoman Empire (Mehmed II/Suleiman/...)
- Incan Empire (Pachacuti/Huayna Capac)
- Korea (Seondok/Sejong/...)
- Mongolia (Genghis Khan/Ögedei Khan)
- Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II/Hammurabi/Nabopolassar)
- Mali/Songhai/Benin/Ashanti (Mansa Musa (Mali)/Sonni Ali (Songhai)/Askia Muhammad (Songhai)/Idia (Benin)/Osei Kofi Tutu (Ashanti)/...)
- Dutch Empire (Willem van Oranje)
- Some NA tribe (...)
- Mayans (...)

2nd expansion:
- Byzantium (Justinian/Basil II/Alexios I Komnenos/...)
- Portugal (João II)
- Mughal Empire**** (Akbar the Great/Shah Jahan)
- Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur)
- Ethiopia (Menelik II)
- 2nd NA tribe (...)
- Bohemia/Hungary/Austria* (Charles IV (Bohemia)/Ottokar II (Bohemia)/Wenceslaus II (Bohemia and Poland)/Matthias Corvinus (Hungary)/Joseph II (Austria)/Maria Theresa (Austria)/Rudolph II (Austria)/...)**
- Maori/Hawaii (Hongi Hika (Maori)/Kamehameha I (Hawaii)
- Italy (led by Venice (Enrico Dandolo) and Florence (Lorenzo de' Medici))

If there had to be second leaders, I'd pick these Civs:
- India**** (Ashoka/Shivaji/Chandragupta Maurya/...)
- Egypt (Ramses II/Thutmose III/Hatshepsut/Senusret III/...)
- France (Philipe Auguste/Napoleon/Louis XIV/...)
- England (Alfred the Great/William the Conqueror/...)
- America (George Washington/Abraham Lincoln/...)
- Persia (...)
- China (Yongle/Taizong/Kangxi/Wu Zetian/...)

* The three countries ranked how much I want them: Bohemia > Hungary > Austria***
** The list of leaders is so long because I live in the Czech Republic and Bohemia/Austria*** were two countries we studied most in History.
*** Austria = Duchy/Archduchy of Austria, Habsburg Monarchy and Austria-Hungary.
****There is also a possibility of making Mughals the alternate leaders of India instead of their own Civ.

Since we're now adding both expansion, here were my original
Dutch, Italy, Mali, Ottomans, Korea, Mongolia, Sioux, Maya, Inca
Added Celts to make them equal
For the second expansion:
Byzantium, Portugal, Ethiopia, Babylon, Assyria, Austria, Iroquois, Sweden, Gran Colombia, Carthage
Alternate leaders for France, Germany, Russia, America, England
Canada, Polynesia, Argentina are possible wildcards if they wanted to go to fifty

In my list above, I wanted to make all expansions with 9 Civs.

However, since I'd love to see Carthage, I'd pick it as an alternative to the Mughal Empire (if they use Akbar/Shah Jahan as alternate Indian leaders).

Last edited:
In my list above, I wanted to make all expansions with 9 Civs.

However, since I'd love to see Carthage, so I'd pick it as an alternative to the Mughal Empire (if they use Akbar/Shah Jahan as alternate Indian leaders).
I originally did too, but then I realized I wanted a lot more so I at least went to 10 Civs each. This is with the assumption that there will be no more DLCs with Civs though.

1st Expansion
Civs:

1. Carthage (Hannibal or Dido)-Classical North African Civ, Military-based Civ
2. Inca (Huayna Capac)-a South Amerindian Civ, Mountain-based Civ
3. Korea (Seondeok)-to complete the East Asian trio, Science-based Civ
4. Mali (Musa)-to fill up West Africa, Gold-based Civ, Songhai's replacement
5. Maori (Hongi Hika)-to represent Polynesia, might not happen though :cry:
6. Netherlands (Wilhelmina)-obligatory European Civ, Trade-based Civ
7. Ottomans (Mehmed the Conqueror or Roxelana)-obligatory Middle Eastern Civ, missed by many Turkish players
8. Shawnee (Tecumseh)/or Iroquois (Jigonhsasee)-I like Tecumseh :p, but Iroquois seems more likely
Alternate Leaders:
Thutmose III (Egypt)
Ashoka (India)

2nd Expansion
Civs:

1. Babylon (Hammurabi)-Mesopotamian staple civ, Science-based Civ
2. Byzantines (Alexios I Komnenos or Theodora)-Another staple, Faith-based Civ
3. Celts (Vercingetorix or Boudica)-yet another staple, maybe focused on faith or culture
4. Ethiopia (Menelik II)-a kinda staple, I really want them to return, Faith-based Civ
5. Maya (Lady Six Sky)-a Mesoamerican staple, Science-based Civ
6. Mongolia (Genghis Khan or Mandukhai Khatun)-horsemen staple, but Medieval instead of Ancient like Scythia
7. Portugal (John II or Maria the Mad :p)-a European staple, exploration based Civ
8. Sweden (Gustav I or Christina :p)-second Scandinavian Civ
Alternate Leaders:
Napoleon Bonaparte (France)
Elizabeth I (England)

3rd Expansion (I think there is room for a 3rd)
Civs:

1. Ashanti (Yaa Asantewaa)/or Benin (Idia)-I would like a second West African Civ
2.Assyria (Shammuramat)/ or Hittites (Puduhepa)-another ancient Middle Eastern Civ
3. Hungary (Matthias Corvinus)-making its debut instead of Austria returning :p
4. Italy (Lorenzo de Medici)-replacement for Venice, in demand by Italian players
5. Morocco (Ismail ibn Sharif)-making its second appearance, Islamic North African Civ
6. Sioux (Gall)-2nd North Amerindian Civ, making its first reappearance since Civ2
7. Vietnam (Trung Trac)-3rd SE Asian Civ seems unlikely, but they are popular (thanks to TPangolin's mod)
8. Zulus (Shaka)-another Civ staple
Alternate Leaders:
Abraham Lincoln (America)
Kangxi Emperor (China)
either Lincoln or Kangxi can be switched out for the second Italian leader (Enrico Dandolo) :p

Last edited:
Is there a possibility they will make a Mughal civilization, or do you think it's unlikely?
With Alexander/Macedon in the mix, who knows what's possible now...

With Alexander/Macedon in the mix, who knows what's possible now...
Same thing with Australia, it opens the door for other colonial Civs that would've not been viewed as possible in the past. Canada, Argentina, etc... all have a better shot at being in the game now.

I really hope Canada will be DLC, and not take a slot in an expansion pack. I rather prefer Argentina not be in the game (who would they take as leader). Colombia is fine for me, but I don't know if they should name it Gran Colombia or Colombia, but Simon Bolivar is someone with name recognition (and reputation through almost all of South-America). Imagine that we wouldn't get the Inca's in the next DLC, but Gran Colombia.

Same thing with Australia, it opens the door for other colonial Civs that would've not been viewed as possible in the past. Canada, Argentina, etc... all have a better shot at being in the game now.
Hopefully as DLC, so I can not buy them. ;)

We would buy it anyway probably, but I rather have the larger civs in expansions. Canada will be sold anyway because of the great Canadian audience (luckily), so I think it is almost guaranteed to have them as DLC and not in a pack. They need to have "some known civs with known leaders" for the expansion packs with some dark horses (like Zulu that will almost surely take a spot too in a pack, probably the second one).

We would buy it anyway probably, but I rather have the larger civs in expansions. Canada will be sold anyway because of the great Canadian audience (luckily), so I think it is almost guaranteed to have them as DLC and not in a pack. They need to have "some known civs with known leaders" for the expansion packs with some dark horses (like Zulu that will almost surely take a spot too in a pack, probably the second one).
To be honest, if Canada were a 17th century civ led by De Champlain, I'd probably actually buy it, but I wouldn't consider it a pressing priority. I have Australia disabled and I wouldn't particularly care to see too many more colonies myself.

Top Bottom