Civ6's First Expansion: Who would you include?

Given the pretty rapid rate at which DLC is being released, I actually think we'll have fewer civilizations in these expansions, but that the quantity will be supplemented by the DLC to exceed the number of civs playable as compared to Civ5.

On the note of DLC, I personally feel that Korea will end up as a DLC as compared to being included in an expansion.

Keeping those two predictions in mind, here's a list of six civilizations which I would be pleased to see. Where no leader is specified, I have none in mind. In addition is a few alternate leader suggestions.

Civs:
  1. Ottomans under Mehmed II
  2. Powhatan Confederacy under Powhatan
  3. Mali under Mansa Musa
  4. Hittites
  5. Phoenicia
  6. Polynesia
Honestly I don't care about the Mongols that much, but if we see them, I'd like them be under Ogedei instead instead of Genghis. I'd also like to see Iran representing Muslim Persia, as separate from Persia representing Zoroastrian Persia, but that's not as high priority to me as the above six.

Leaders:
  1. Scipio Africanus as a war-focused leader for Rome
  2. Ahkenaten as a religion-focused leader for Egypt
  3. Ashoka as a war and religion focused leader for India
  4. Netzahualcoyotl as a culture focused leader for the Aztecs
  5. Khosrow I as a general culture, science, and / or Great Person focused leader for Persia

Oh yeah and of course you gotta have the Seleucids.

Last edited:
New Civs
North Europe: Dutch (Led by William of Orange, have the Dutch East India Company ability dealing with economic policies and luxury resources and can built polders)
Southern Europe: Italy (Led by Lorenzo de Medici of Florence and Filippo Maria Visconti of Milan, tourism boosts with unique art museum gallerias and condottieri unique unit)
Africa: Mali (Led by Mansa Musa, faith, gold, and culture, from trade routes to other civilizations following your religion and building mines on flat desert producing more gold)
Zulu (Led by Shaka, Ikanda replaces the encampment and gain production for pastures. Impi Warrior returns with ranged attack)
South America: Inca (Huayna Capac, Andene improvement built on hills next to mountains. Can farm on hills from beginning. Faster road movement through hills. Mountains provide more adjacency bonuses)
Asia: Korea (Led by Sejong gets eureka every time a Seowon is built which replaces the Campus and has the Hwacha as his unique unit. Also gets the turtle ship. Special Ability is Hallyu which can give culture and tourism once Mass Media is researched based off of Science output of cities)
Mongolia (Led by Kublai Khan which receives great merchant points and gold when conquering a city with a trading post, unique ability is Great Generals can influence units one extra space and cavalry units have +1 movement, can build a Ger and Keshik)
Middle East: Ottomans (Led by Suleiman, Janissaries and the Bazaar which replaces the Commercial Hub)
North America: Sioux ( Led by Sitting Bull, gains extra production and food from plains tiles, Dog Soldier Cavalry and Ceremonial Circle UI)
Central America: Mayans (Led by Pacal who has Inscription Temple Ability which allows Temples to hold works of writing and defeated units in battle can provide faith with sacrificial rituals ability. Triadic Pyramids give faith and science when writing is researched)

United Nations to make a return. Voting on sanctions against other nations.
Railroads and trains to make a return
Cruise ships to go along with tourism as a special kind of ship, along with passenger trains a special kind of train. (Norwegian Viking Cruises late game comes to mind)
New resources: Honey, Maize, Clay, etc.

Slept on it and forgot to add:
Medical Branch- District for regaining health to cities and units. Gain more health the closer it is built to city center.
Buildings Apothecary, Hospital, Health Clinic

Last edited:
New resources: Honey, Maize, Clay, etc.
With more Native Americans, Bison, tomato, and potato should be added as a bonus resource as well. Algae could be added in as a bonus resource as well.

Potential luxury resources could include nutmeg, chili pepper, and coral. Oh, and gold should return to the main game.

Now, that is a very hard question. If they follow civ V's pattern, we should get 9 civs. Gods and Kings had 6 european civs, 1 american and 2 african. Brave New World, on the other hand, had 3 european, 2 american, 2 african, 1 middle-eastern and 1 asian. So I'm going to follow the "Firaxis" a pattern of 3 european, 1 middle-eastern, 2 american, 1 african and 2 asian.

New Civilizations :

1. Ottomans (led by Selim I) : of course, Ottomans are a staple civ, too important in the concept of civilization itself to be left out, as they are the Mediterrenean super power for a very long time. Selim I is a pretty odd choice I made, but I feel he's an excellent character to have an ability to easily conquer civs that are of the same religion as you are. I think that it is actually a very good personnality for the game.
2. Portugal (led by John II) : Portugal is the starter of the colonial era, having the very first globalized empire. So I believe their presence is almost mandatory. About John II, he is the perfect prince, according to Machiavelli's definition of a prince. So I guess that means he could have a mischeavous personnality towards players.
3. Georgia (led by Tamar) : An expansion always needs to have its dark horse, and I feel like Tamar and Georgia are the perfect cadidates to do so. Of course, with Tamar as the leader, Georgia would be heavily oriented towards faith and culture (after all, it was during her reign that Chota Rustavelli wrote his epic).
4. Babylon (led by Hammurabi) : if world congress is making its return with a diplomatic victory, than Hammurabi is THE MAN for a diplomatic play. Also, civ is terribly lacking in scientific civs, the only ones close to that being China and Arabia. And Babylon is one of the best scientific civs cadidates.
5. Inca (led by Huayna Capac) : Inca formed the largest pre-colombian empire of South America, and they should be added. Just like civ V, they'd be the hill and mountain warmongers, and should get boni into housing in mountains ! Of course, Huayna Capac is a warmonger but would also like to link his territories with roads.
6. One Native north american civ. I simply can not judge that part of the world, because I eimply not know enough about to pronounce why x civ and not y.
7. Mali (led by Mansa Musa) : Certainly, Mansa Musa boni should be made towards gold. After all, that's what we expect from the world's wealthiest man to have ever existed. However, Timbuktu being a great center of culture and science, they should also take that dimension within the civ.
8. The Mongols (led by Genghis Khan) : It's the mongols and Genghis Khan. The figure is so important in history that it is impossible to not count on him. However, I wouldn't mind to add the more peaceful Kublai Khan as a second leader.
9. Korea (led by Seondeok) : Korea is the second great science civilization in the game along with Babylon, and as before, the game really needs them. As before, Seondeok should focus on diplomacy and culture thanks to her efforts in establishing strong ties with China.

New leaders of existing civs :

- India led by Chandragupta Maurya : as much as I like Ashoka, I feel like his peaceful ways would be too close to Gandhi, why Chandragupta Maurya could bring Something very different !
- France led by Louis XIV : the greatest figure of Absolutism, France would certainly be an all-out culture and warmonger civ.
- England led by Alfred the Great : because having a very old English king would be very original, and play differently from Victoria.
- Arabia led by Al-Walid : since Saladin was deemed as the faith and science leader of Arabia, Al-Walid should be the builder and warmonger part.
- China led by Tang Taizong : a great conqueror and diplomatic sovereign.

New City-States :

- Malacca (to replace Lisbon) -> Trade CS
- Riga -> Trade CS
- Nineveh (to replace Seoul) -> Scientific CS
- Gutenberg -> Scientific CS
- Pegu -> Religious CS
- Zvongombe -> Industrial CS
- Prague -> Cultural CS
- Nicosia -> Militaristic CS

my turn to speculate:
1 mali or ethiopia (africa is still empty)
2 zulu (they're a given)
3 native american civ (i like the idea of the iroquois coming back, but i wouldn' mind the sioux )
4 maya
5 inca
6 ottomans
7 mongolia
these should fill the big holes quite nicely, and the last few civs i think would be new to add a little bit more variety:
8 civ with alternate leaders (best choice for me would be italy)
9 civ with a new mechanic ( i don't know maybe they add a new building for every district and this civ can have a ui that replaces one of them, i'm thinking the dutch with their east india company, maybe they could add a trading company building in the commercial district and have it a dutch ui, but its's better for the dutch to keep the polders as ui)
the rest could be alternate leaders:
france (louis XIV or Napoleon are my top choices, but probably we're going to have joan of arc)
india (ashoka and akbar are the best options)
england (elizabeth needs to come back)
germany ( we could have bismark in berlin and frederick the great in prussia)
china (wu zetian of course)
arabia (arun al rashid could come back )
egypt (ramsess II)
et cetera...
the other civs could come with a second expansion

New Civilizations :

1. Ottomans (led by Selim I) :
2. Portugal (led by John II)
:
3. Georgia (led by Tamar) :
4. Babylon (led by Hammurabi)
5. Inca (led by Huayna Capac)
6. One Native north american civ
7. Mali (led by Mansa Musa)
8. The Mongols (led by Genghis Khan)
9. Korea (led by Seondeok)
Wow. That looks great. I would be so happy with that. Only things I would probably change are Native North American civ leaving out for the Maya's, and replacing Portugal with The Netherlands. My dark horse would be Hungary, but I would be very happy with Georgia too. You've thought about this really well.

Wow. That looks great. I would be so happy with that. Only things I would probably change are Native North American civ leaving out for the Maya's, and replacing Portugal with The Netherlands. My dark horse would be Hungary, but I would be very happy with Georgia too. You've thought about this really well.

Well Liufeng is Portuguese....

I didn't know that. I'm Belgian. Portugal definitely needs to appear, but i'd rather prefer other civilizations tbh in Europe, like The Netherlands or Sweden.

Funny fact : I'm portuguese (born in Lisbon), but have been living for 20 years in Belgium (first in Arlon, then in Liege) !

Do you still live in Belgium? Two years ago, i made a daily visit to Arlon :p, but i live in Flanders (near Kortrijk), and just above the French metropolitian area of Lille. I live at the French-Belgian border or the French-Dutch language border since Belgium does have two language areas (and the border is right here.)

Do you still live in Belgium? Two years ago, i made a daily visit to Arlon :p, but i live in Flanders (near Kortrijk), and just above the French metropolitian area of Lille. I live at the French-Belgian border or the French-Dutch language border since Belgium does have two language areas (and the border is right here.)
I still do, in Liege ;) since I'm near the german border, I've learned german, but am still learning flemish :/

Liufeng, some nice solid suggestions there. I would replace Georgia led by Tamar with either the Maori or another Native American or African civ though. Europe is a really low priority IMO, especially if we are getting at least 2 of 9 expansion civs being European.

Kublai Khan wasn't "peaceful" as such though he was arguably more peaceful than Genghis--Kublai triggered a Mongol civil war against Ariq Böke (which Kublai won), and wars with Vietnam, Japan, Burma and southern China, among others. Of course, he notably failed in his invasions of Japan (against Hojo Tokimune), and pretty much only succeeded in land battles against southern China. I think he's perhaps a tad too Chinese, however, and would prefer Genghis Khan as leader, despite the availability of some worthy female khans as well (perhaps they could be secondary leaders in a second expansion).

I also think Tang Taizong is perhaps less agenda-worthy than the Confucian literatus and longest-reigning Chinese monarch, Kangxi, who as a half-Manchu did much to ingratiate himself with the Chinese, and conquered much while also perhaps lending himself to science bonuses due to interactions with Jesuit scholars (including cannon development).

@Morningcalm, isn't Georgia technically in Asia?
Yes, technically, in much the same way the Ottomans are technically European. But Georgia is in the Caucasus (i.e. the origin of the term "Caucasian"), a member of the Council of Europe with EU dreams, and I would still consider them culturally quite European, or at least, in a manner similar to Scythia, closer to Iran. They are "Eurasian" I guess, but when we think of Asia we may be more inclined to think of Mongols or Tibetans etc rather than the Georgians.

For a dark horse civ, I would favor the Maori or Polynesians instead. Or maybe even another African civ like Ethiopia or Benin.

My nine are:

Byzantium(Theodora)
Maya
Inca
Babylon
Mongols
Carthage
Celtic
Zulu
Ottomans

New Leader:

Rome(Augustus Caesar)

Come on, i don't understand why we have to be geographically correct instead of politically correct. The game isn't that EU-centric. What did you expect. Who should they left out? The English? The French? The Spanish? The Germans? The Vikings? The Romans? The Greek? Europe has an important & rich history, and other regions are also included (like they just did with SE-Asia, one of the few real blank spots). I've seen lists above where no single European civ is included, and i'm sorry, but than i won't take you seriously either when you criticize civ for being too eu-centric. I'm sorry that we left such a great footprint on the globe. Really sorry.

Most of the people who will ever play the game, can't name one single civilization from Native America. I agree that we need a native American civ. I fully agree, but face the fact, and don't minimize European influence on history. The entire America's is now almost populated by once European people, and so is... Australia or a large part of South-Africa, and if it isn't populated, it is most likely been heavily influenced.

Come on, i don't understand why we have to be geographically correct instead of politically correct. The game isn't that EU-centric. What did you expect. Who should they left out? The English? The French? The Spanish? The Germans? The Vikings? The Romans? The Greek? Europe has an important & rich history, and other regions are also included (like they just did with SE-Asia, one of the few real blank spots). I've seen lists above where no single European civ is included, and i'm sorry, but than i won't take you seriously either when you criticize civ for being too eu-centric. I'm sorry that we left such a great footprint on the globe. Really sorry.

I wouldn't necessarily say Europeans left a "great" footprint on the globe. Europeans changed a lot of non-European cultures, often in harmful ways. And a lot of that was due to luck/great environment or circumstances beyond their control (the diseases they passed on). All I can say is that Europeans (mainly the Western ones) were pioneers in technology, science, democracy and industry. But the rest of the world is or will catch up. Just to let you know, I didn't leave out European nations from my first expansion wishlist. :D

@Morningcalm since I feel Vahnstad's comments are more directed towards you, would you like to reply back to them?

Last edited:
Vahnstad, Civ VI vanilla is the most Euro-centric Civ vanilla game we've seen in a long time. It is neither politically nor geographically correct to have included so many European civs (including in the DLC, which had Poland, Australia, and Macedonia for example). Consider that vast areas of the globe, whether the Americas, Africa or Asia, received little to no representation despite having great impact on the globe, and Africa and SEA DLCs were announced in tandem following fairly common protests on these forums, YouTube and Facebook over the lack of African and SEAsian representation.

Where are the Mongols, who carved the largest land empire in history? Where is Mali, one of the mightiest empires in world history and possessed of the most wealth? And on and on. The Vikings are typically in DLC or expansion packs, not in the vanilla game. And no, the "entire Americas" are not populated by "once European people". Natives, including Mayans, populate the majority of the central and southern Americas, for starters.

Also, for vanilla purposes, Greece need not have been excluded--but to get three Hellenistic leaders is a bit much (four if you count Cleopatra). But Mongolia and the Incas were excluded, and Brazil was added in as yet another Western nation.

I'm really sorry, so very sorry, that you can't see how giving every continent other than Europe few representatives in the vanilla game is a problem.

Top Bottom