1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. FangFur

FangFur Chieftain

Have been playing C2C for a few weeks now and it is truly amazing. Not only has it added great new eras but the array of choice is truly remarkable. Best of all it is still being worked on and updated all the time by a load of people who believe in making CIV into a game I believe many people wished for rather than the dreadful dumbdowned CIV5. The more people support it the better.

Downloading it isnt the easiest thing and you need a realtively decent computor to play this mod. You can get C2C V25 by downloading as a torrent and then putting it in your BTS mod folder but I believe the best version is called the SVN download. If you go to the SVN discussion thread on the Caveman2Cosmos it gives instructions on how to download. This version, I believe, gets updated as the developers change things. Dont fully understand it but any questions im sure will be answered on the C2C forums.

Join the revolution.

2. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

That's an easy promise to make, just like Seán Quinn promising all along that his insurance company (currently showing €1.65bn losses hidden away a la Enron, despite being a small insurance company only operating in Irl & the UK) was capitalised enough to cover a mass claim event, despite knowing full well that he was talking bs of the smelliest variety.

In case you're wondering, I'm perfectly happy that <redacted> is deeply in trouble at the moment.

3. CivRulez07

CivRulez07 Chieftain

Just a small thing that I'm slightly upset about:

finally got Gods and Kings today! Too bad school starts this week and I won't have much time to play it :( :mad:

4. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

Come back when you are disappointed by it!
    The nerve of these people... ;)

5. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

Yes, it should at least have withdrawn out of the way so that it would survive when the barbarian grabbed the settler...

6. lollibast

lollibast Chieftain

i get the feeling that ranged units in G&K don't take reduced ranged damage any more, which makes siege weapons prior to artillery useless imho. When i move e.g. a cannon in range it takes a big hit from the city which forces me to move it out again the next turn for healing before it even got a single ball out.
    i guess i need to bring at least 3 siege units...

7. BONZAII42

BONZAII42 Chieftain

First, the good part. I absolutely love the game! The challenges are great and hours of my time that could be spent making me rich, is spent barbarically romping over the lands of Civ5 instead...

Now, the complaint... Which AIRHEAD at MicroProse invented the way you're forced through a sequence of your troops?? MY GOD!!! I have to make more forgiveness prayers on Sunday after each move when you jump me from one continent, then back, then to another and another... This has to be, by far, the most "frustrating" element of the game.

So tell me, how many of you enjoy being JERKED around the map like the Google man in Google Maps!?? All these fancy mods that you talented writers are making are GREAT, but I'd like to see someone REALLY apply their talents and create a PATCH for the most frustrating part of the game....

OK, off my soapbox.. :)

Moderator Action: Merged with the rants thread.

8. scyt4l3

Bombers can't bomb tile improvements...
    lol, wut!?
    Oh the heresy!

9. lollibast

lollibast Chieftain

right, air combat, a whole thread for itself. I just hate the way you have absolutely no clue what went on in the clouds. Did you shoot an aircraft down? Did you intercept, or did it just lousy damage? Where did all the enemies planes go? Shot down or rebased?
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. scyt4l3

I guess they call it streamlining, all this information and options must be superfluous! It's a feature! XD

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Huh? Do you have combat animations off or play in strategic mode?

With animations on, you actually can clearly see what happens in air battles. It's actually really cool.

12. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

I think Civilization V is an empire building game that punishes you for building an empire.

13. Bad Brett

Bad Brett Chieftain

Nah. Civ 5 is 50% super cool intro video and 50% PG with updated graphics. Diablo II contains more empire building than Civ 5.

14. lollibast

lollibast Chieftain

uuugh, invisible units. especially nice with nuclear missiles aka where did all my panes go und why is it all dirty around that city

15. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Channelling your inner Sullla :goodjob:

16. Socratatus

Socratatus Chieftain

Still thinking about buying this game. I still don`t like the Giant death Robot thing though... The name itself makes me feel like I`m buying a game for 5 year olds. If you did make a Giant death robots, you wouldn`t call it a Giant death robot! Even Fall Out 3 got that right!

17. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I play again civilization 5 with expansion but really the graphic is so dull and boring, it just make me want to puke out and religion system is a total joke. And the happiness core also doesn't reflect any realistic sense, not to mention the civic system, when peoples went on from one policies to other society reform, but these civilization even againts civilization itself, everything accumulating. And what kind of civic is honor? and tradition? does they meant the militaristic spartan reign? also the hex system, I don't know if many peoples admire it, but for me in real world we encompass direction but normally 8 direction, north, south, north west, south west, etc, if you imagine a room or spacial you imagine it on 8 direction not on 5 direction.

But still, the combat system, is pretty, after I play this I miss civ 4 so much, I can enjoy any side of civ 4 but the combat system really killing me, they build it on chances and there is no way u can retreat your army except also by chances, but in civ 5 u can fight and retreat, you can put your artilery in a hill and start shooting, this one I must said it awesome. And the stack system, if only they put the stack system with somewhat like europa universalis style, like if you put so many unit is one tile you get penalty on health, and it also depend on the terrain and weather. If anybody know a mods in civ 4 that replaces the combat system like civ 5 tell me please.

18. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

But it is exactly the same combat system you are praising which kills Civ 5 as a game. To make 1UPT meaningful as a concept the game has to extremely limit tile yields or extremely accelerate teching to ensure that production of units on a large scale is not possible (incidentally Civ 5 does both). But the problem with doing this in a strategic level, empire-building game is that you kill the production and choices needed to make the strategic and empire-building sections meaningful and worthwhile. In other words in order to accomodate 1UPT you kill the soul of the Civilisation series.

So if the system cannot work when the game was designed to accomodate it, how do you think it'll do in a game where there is no accomodation for it?

Spoiler :
    Hint: It'll be as bad as the Chelsea defence are tonight.

And stacking is a lot more subtle and flexible than you give it credit for (far more successful than Civ 5 1UPT in that manner too, where the only tactic is "build meat shield for your ranged units, and blast the AI dead from 2-3 tiles away). You don't have to go the "build SoD, attrittion the AI slowly" method, which is always the complaint against stacking.
    In fact it is better to be more subtle with your attacks, by composing stacks based on movement, with a mobile 2 mover stack to fork and hit backline cities, and another big fist of artillery and melee/gunpowder units for the tough nut fortress cities the AI always has. Then you look to initiate multiple vectors of attack to keep the AI second guessing and moving their reserves around to no use. This makes war on the AI so much easier than the SoD option, even if you have a big tech or power lead. And if it is so much better to be subtle against the AI this kind of thinking is essential against human players who aren't the half-understanding children the AIs are.

19. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I agree with your statement that 1upt is killing the soul of the game itself, because it also make a narrow mountainous terrain instead of being strategic it becoming like annoying and silly, and to control the quantity of the unit to not cover all over the world, they must limit the production in order to make it playable not chaos.

1upt its indeed killing the game and I like SOD in civilization game as it always been like that and it should be like that. But the things that is new and it is a good thing in civ5 is only one, which is the battle; don't make me feel like im playing a dice each time I engage battle, which only leave me with two results, "live or die". In Civ4 for example if I have a unit that already accumulate lots of level, and the combat odd is 90 percent, and when I attack, it just killed instantly there even no possibility to be injured and retreat (except for the horse unit, it also base on chances), it leave me no reason to consume my great general into unit, you don't want to lose your great general in dice game. While in civ5 the combat is not base on chances, I can hit and run with horse unit, I can get hit and lost the battle critically and retreat my unit and get slam by their horse while retreating there are sense of real battle. But u also have your point, the AI is too limited to be design to accompany us to play this way, in civ 4 I play my game at King Level while backthen in civ5 vanila I already play at Immortal, I restart my game to try the new expansion pack, I play it on prince to measure the difficulty and to get used with the system. Still not good, the religion system that suppose to heal the pain, it just make it worst.

I just wonder, how about to advance the stacking with attrition? it succeed in europa universalis. And also put like each unit reflect 1000 soldier. In green and fertile land, or at town, it can stack more unit, while in tundra, and rocky fertile land an SOD unit can get attrition per turn. But I must make a clear statement here, I really don't like the 1upt, hex, diplomacy, graphic, and everything inside the civ 5, except the things that I already mention above.

20. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Well this is something that always exist on civ.

Like Ghandi was a president or King in India, back then in Civ 4 they choose Saladin as a King of Arabs while Saladin was a ruler in Egypt to continue the reign of the Fatimid Empire and later birth the Mamluks and his origin is a Kurdish. They should choose some one like Harun Al Rasheed or Umar Ibn Abdul Aziz, it is more correct.

Back in Civ1 or 2 these things doesn't matter because we are more tolerate there not so much comparison, but now since there are many historical empire strategy game that develop their game carefully all of this seem like a total joke. Like Arabic special unit is camel archer, while camel being used for desert battle, but when the Ummayyah battle the Byzantium and Sassanid, also Visigoth in Spain, they use horse. I think it is lack of research and it cause lack of depth, when they think about city that being surrounded by desert or when they think about the arabs, they just associate them with camel (im not an Arab myself but I found it pretty annoying). Why don't they make it like Anshari horseman or Mujahideen, which is more correct.