Civilization 5 Rants Thread

England is disappointingly weak, sun never sets has to be the most ill-conceived UA in this game, who on earth thought this would be good? Esp. considering the Vikings get a +1 movement to embarked units on top of other great traits it really makes this weak in comparison.

France getting culture makes sense, they were the cultural mecca of Europe for many centuries, with the upper classes of other European nations speaking and writing in French.

Germany's very powerful in a domination game, you can get a massive army of expendable landsknechts and trebs and just steamroll everyone around you.

It's just that Derpy Hooves and bitula were writing as if the game was around in 2009. Not sure if it was a mistake or they were talking about changes since the pre-release version of the game. I mentioned your post because you referred to 2009 though in a different context.

I was just referring Hooves, since I thought he meant that all these features were implemented since 2009, but the point is the short list of minor features since at least a year, those are so minor that it particullary translates to nothing has happened since at least 1 year. So I mean we have a stripped-down base game with nothing else, just balancing being done since release. And it is full of bad design elements, which doesnt make it worth a base-game as well. Where are the expansion packs? Where is the core DLL source? Whats happening? DLC? What they call DLCs are just modules which were created by community for Civ4 for free. These dont add any new mechanics to the game.

I just bought civ 5 and look only at civilizations. I was full of rage already for people which design this game in first 10 minutes. All europeans countries have such a bad characteristics.

England WTF? Sun Never Sets? They didnt conquer world because thay had faster or better ships OMG! They had great diplomatic skills and they kept balance of powers in Europe! They were in alliance against Spain, France, Prussia when these countries were strongest in Europe! And in civ 5 is no diplomaticy? Even civ 2 had bettter diplomacy then this.
France +2 culture per city? Thats joke :D If someone should have bonus in culture then it should be Italy or Greece. France had largest amount of citizans in Europe and biggest army in Europe for centuries. They always defend their lands over and over again. France should have:
If France lost control of their city then soldier appears near capital city!
Germany WTF? When i see England, France and Germany i was thinking that this game is clearly design by americans isnt it?
Greece WTF? In Greece was born philosophy, Platon, Aristoteles! I can only hope that this game will dont see any history teacher. (And this article no english teacher) Greece should have:
When Greece discover philosophy then great scientist appears near city.
Ottomans not even close.
Rome oh come on! Yes romans were great builders but not that way OMG!
And Egypt should have:
When Egypt discover masonry then great engineer appears near city.
Russia oh my god!
I am perfectionist and i cant play this game with these civilizations!

So i start playing like Japan and see that guy with 3 katanas and immediately quit game! I dont know Japan at all but i am pretty sure that there never was ruler with 3 katanas on walk in grassland!

So i start again like Persia and see all wonders and raging again! In civ 2 wonders were perfect! My personality just cant play this game help!

Altough I do suspect they did'nt make the western civ's too powerful on purpose, probably to not seem culturally chauvinistic they did'nt exactly make America a very strong one either, I'd take Bismarck over Washington any day.

And "that guy with 3 katanas" is Nobunaga Oda, the main unifier of Japan (Toyotomi mostly just started a war he could'nt win and Tokugawa just reaped the spoils) and I honestly find it hard to imagine you actually believe there are no hilled grasslands in Japan, go watch a documentary about the place for god's sake or if you can apreciate a good movie, Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa, it's set during the time Nobunaga came to power and he plays a important role in it (albeit the main adversary).

Oh and the 3 katana's all have their seperate uses, close, medium and long range combat, they are actually to be expected from a Japanese warrior that had the money to pay for them.

The only gripe I have with Oda actually is that they portrayed him as too much of a cliche daimyo, he practically invented musket based war in Japan and introduced alot of western products into Japanese civilization, in Kagemusha you have a beautiful scene (on a grassy hill even) where Oda is meeting with several warlords and he tries to get them to drink grape wine instead of the usual sake, them even making comments on how much of a lover of western culture he is.
I've never even seen a depiction of the man in armor (apart from 20th century statues and silly Koei videogames) but I suspect the way he is portrayed in Kagemusha (clothed for a great deal in garments mostly found on European royalty of the time) is a lot closer to the truth.

Oh, and Bitula and Pieceofmind, I was just responding to what Buccaneer said, I can't say I care much for when it was released but any questions as to why he said 2009 should be directed at him.

Well, not to contribute to the wonders of this game (no pun intended) but I only played the demo for about 3 weeks now. I really wanted so desperately to like this game, and even wanted to buy it as GOTY. BUT, I felt like this thing was a horridly strange but similar version of AOE III minus the turn base. Even 100 turns is enough to make me realize the boredom that would ensue from my playing any longer. No joke, I played about 20 times, just to REALLY make sure I wasn't the cause of my own boredom. I know this sounds weird but my only knowledge was CIV I. I played way back in college. It was actually fun! This is just so "predictable" I wouldn't mind some more micromanagement, but I feel like what a boring game this is. just my thoughts....

I paid money for this game, yet I have to tolerate a patch wherein an advertisement for another game has been included in the in-game menu. This is intolerable to me, and one more leap down the slippery-slope of my disapproval for the direction the Civ series has gone.

CiV is already the least-played game in my personal manifest. Someone's made a bad mistake pushing it farther.

I wouldn't mind if they sold advertising rights for terrain, like coke symbols on farms for instance, if it meant they had more money to make the game more enjoyable.

Oh, please. This is just too much grasping for reasons to whine about.

It's not like the Civworlds ad is one of those pop-up flashing ADs or something like that. It just sits calmly in the main menu in a space made for that kind of thing.

I saw something appeared on the menu screen, looked like an advert for civworld. Luckily, I completely ignored it and pressed the button I usually press. No damage done.

Blizzards been doing it since Broodwar, if it really bugs you that much just return to BOTS to fix aaaaaaaall the problems.

It's ok to disagree. I'm sure many places in life you've opted to pay others to be able to advertise to you.

Wasn't it enough that this installment of Civ comes with regular installments (DLC's) for which we pay? Wasn't it enough to play the game at all we must have this advertisement conglomerate (steam) installed on our machines which constantly pops-up with game ads when we try to close the application?

This game has become a sleazy money scheme, and a poor excuse at that. It's a slap in the face to put this on the game menu. If it had been some free download, I'd understand. It's not, and I don't.

I wouldn't mind if they sold advertising rights for terrain, like coke symbols on farms for instance, if it meant they had more money to make the game more enjoyable.

See? This is why Corporations should have been kept in from Civ4 to Civ5. You start up a corporation and billboards gradually proliferate along the roads that you've built.

And they could be real billboards with real-life corporate sponsorship that drops the cost of the game.

If I can think of things like this, why can't the devs?

This is nothing compared to EA it made c&c a bad name it ruined online gameplay by making a TV show of multiplayer and making potcast of online matches...

Every companny has its flaws... I actually thinx steam does a great job you dont have to install those demo's

See? This is why Corporations should have been kept in from Civ4 to Civ5. You start up a corporation and billboards gradually proliferate along the roads that you've built.

And they could be real billboards with real-life corporate sponsorship that drops the cost of the game.If I can think of things like this, why can't the devs?

Dreamer....any cost saving would go to increasing the profit margin. Not saying thats good or bad, but the consumer is the last to see the benefit of increased productivity or cost savings.

Wasn't it enough that this installment of Civ comes with regular installments (DLC's) for which we pay? Wasn't it enough to play the game at all we must have this advertisement conglomerate (steam) installed on our machines which constantly pops-up with game ads when we try to close the application?

Why on earth do you leave the ads on if you don't like them? It's standard practice to check the options when using a new piece of software. It's the same as reading the manual for a new power tool: you find out what the product does and how it works to ensure its functionality matches your expectations and vice versa. Basic responsible consumer behavior.

Wow. I can't believe this.

1) Its a small box that just sits there. So what? Just ignore it. The point of advertising is to inform you about something you would have bought had you known it existed. Advertising isn't evil. False advertising is, and that's when they lie about what it actually is. So if you want to complain about advertising, complain about the list of features that this game was shipped with. Not the tiny box or the Steam window. They are there to inform you of your options. Ignore them if you don't want the advice.

2) Its CivWorld for crying out loud. Free Facebook game made by the same people. They aren't trying to force you to give them money, or trick you into a purchase, and they aren't even "selling out" to other companies so that others can take advantage of CiV to advertise to you. I mean seriously?

3) The Steam window tells you about SALES and NEW RELEASES. Most of the time there is nothing interesting, but decently often there is a sale I was unaware of and am interested in. Thank you Steam for making shopping easy, convenient, and overall more efficient. I don't miss their sales anymore. And that gives me entertainment for cheap.

4) The DLC system means you only pay for what you want. That's a good thing. Furthermore, this game is worth far more than the cost of the game AND all the DLC. Where else will you get 600+ hours of entertainment for $90? Nowhere. It doesn't matter the cost. If you are still willing to buy it, its worth it.

5) Steam is excellent. As I said above about the advertising, its what allows you as a customer to make intelligent decisions about purchases. If the only game you've ever wanted to play is CiV, then I can understand your frustration. On the other hand, if you are 3 feet tall do you know why there are no pants for your size? Because most people aren't 3 feet tall. Well, most people who play CiV play other games. Other games that are on Steam (perhaps also other places as well). And Steam sales are a great way to get those other games. Steam is useful for most people. So you are the problem, not Steam. Because you are not the average consumer (and that is perfectly fine). Steam is made for the majority, like almost everything else. There will be something, somewhere, that will cater to you, the minority. You should go get that! And that is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom