Civilization 5 Rants Thread

I must stop by again to post my thanks to everyone here who recommended Crusader Kings II. After it had been mentioned here several times, I finally got it a few days ago and am absolutely stunned. Now THAT is a strategy game! So deep, well thought-out, and fun to explore all the different layers of the game and literally thousands of ways to play. After 12 hours I have still just scatched at the surface.

To everyone who wants to try a real strategy game, I highly recommend this game to you, just as others did before me. It's so relieving to see that there are still companies out there which design games that involve thinking (this one pretty much of it!).

I hope promoting this game isn't against some kind of rule again. For me it was my path out of the civ 5 rant thread ghetto into a shiny new world of depth and meaningful decisions, so I just feel obligated to tell others of this path as well.

Is really moving our units one by one boring ?

Answer : yes, it is. Whereas in most case it's not, because we have few units or enemies are close, it is in a number of game completely harrassing to move our units, especially when we have a lot of them, and/or the enemy is remote.

Nice to see that the rant thread is still going strong... Civ series really has had a long line of happy gamers so that more than a year after release the disappointment with the boring chimera that is CiV did not subside.

This is really a testament to previous games in the series, gamers did not stop caring, even now.

I must stop by again to post my thanks to everyone here who recommended Crusader Kings II. After it had been mentioned here several times, I finally got it a few days ago and am absolutely stunned. Now THAT is a strategy game! So deep, well thought-out, and fun to explore all the different layers of the game and literally thousands of ways to play. After 12 hours I have still just scatched at the surface.

To everyone who wants to try a real strategy game, I highly recommend this game to you, just as others did before me. It's so relieving to see that there are still companies out there which design games that involve thinking (this one pretty much of it!).

I hope promoting this game isn't against some kind of rule again. For me it was my path out of the civ 5 rant thread ghetto into a shiny new world of depth and meaningful decisions, so I just feel obligated to tell others of this path as well.

Agreed. That game is awesomely detailed, and makes returning to Civ diplomacy/gameplay very difficult.

Agree, Crusader Kings II is amazingly detailed and deep. There are so many many things to explore, intrigues to plot(or unplot), vassals to keep in check and so much more!

Btw in case you didn't know(but I think maybe you already do :)) a Civ IV BTS mod I only recently discovered was Realism Invictus, it has apparantly been around for a looong time, so don't know how I could miss it. Anyways it is EXTREMELY thoroughly done; it is probably as far away from the simplicity in Civ V as anything can and ever will be. If anyone for some reason haven't tried Realism Invictus yet, well I can just say it is awesome, it is HUGE it is... everything I ever dreamt of! ( in a Civ game ;))

Btw anyone else getting an Avast Malware warning(site blocked) when accessing any page from civfanatics.com? I'm only getting an Avast block/warning at civfanatics.com??? Strangely it has just begin happening(in some of my other civfanatics.com-tabs in Mozilla) while I was writing this post ??

EDIT: The Malware warning stopped after a couple of hours(still only happened with Civfanatics, but it happened both in my explorer and Mozilla.. so hmm.. I'm letting this info be here, just in case someone else had/have experienced the same

Hey, want a joke? Here's one: two years since release, a crapload of DLCs and an expansion pack and there's still no alarm clock in the vanilla game. Just by looking how "good" the intro video for G&K is i can assume that all the money went into that video and there is none left for a freaking alarm clock! That is some AAA game design right here. Let's add renaissance textures to the UI without actually improving the UI. Ed Beach probably did the same while programming software for the hubble space telescope.

Hey, want a joke? Here's one: two years since release, a crapload of DLCs and an expansion pack and there's still no alarm clock in the vanilla game. Just by looking how "good" the intro video for G&K is i can assume that all the money went into that video and there is none left for a freaking alarm clock! That is some AAA game design right here. Let's add renaissance textures to the UI without actually improving the UI. Ed Beach probably did the same while programming software for the hubble space telescope.
How about you get a watch? The top screen is already crowded, there is hardly room for more

How about you get a watch? The top screen is already crowded, there is hardly room for more

How about you load Thal's mod and the clock mod. You will see for yourself that the UI has more than enough space to hold everything and even more. However, this is not stopping Firaxis from making dumb decisions. Do you know how simple it is to design a replay function? They can't even do that. That is not a random coincidence. It's deliberately stupid.

EDIT: The Malware warning stopped after a couple of hours(still only happened with Civfanatics, but it happened both in my explorer and Mozilla.. so hmm.. I'm letting this info be here, just in case someone else had/have experienced the same

Probably because of the pop-ups this forums has been using lately, (they come from the lower right after about 1 minute of reading)

I saw the new video for G&K trailor, had one second of actuall gameplay (the civ 5 map) outside of all the pretty graphics of david and random events. I know, civ 5 trailor on actually civ gameplay may be boring for those who never played, but I am more interested in seeing game play than 99% cutscenes that are just random filler.

Most games now adays have a time piece placed into the game, not hard to introduce but interesting how it was left out.

Ill add that you can pull up steam to see what time it is, but in any addictive game, its easier to say CRAP i need to go to bed by seeing the time right in front of you.

Well, I got Gods & Kings. I tried to like Civ V one last time, I really did. I still quit before industrial era because I was bored out of my mind. Its just not a fun game.

How about you load Thal's mod and the clock mod. You will see for yourself that the UI has more than enough space to hold everything and even more. However, this is not stopping Firaxis from making dumb decisions. Do you know how simple it is to design a replay function? They can't even do that. That is not a random coincidence. It's deliberately stupid.

Do you know that a replay function has been patched in since almost a year, right?

Well, I got Gods & Kings. I tried to like Civ V one last time, I really did. I still quit before industrial era because I was bored out of my mind. Its just not a fun game.

Thank you for saving me the time and money of trying to like Civ V again. Thank god that Paradox Interactive exists and they really do great strategy games like Crusader Kings II. They listen to their customers and make better games each time, instead of going for the casual market, like 2K did with Civ V.

Thank you for saving me the time and money of trying to like Civ V again. Thank god that Paradox Interactive exists and they really do great strategy games like Crusader Kings II. They listen to their customers and make better games each time, instead of going for the casual market, like 2K did with Civ V.

Why not Civ IV? That community remains very active, largely due to the failure of Civ V.

Thank god that Paradox Interactive exists and they really do great strategy games like Crusader Kings II. They listen to their customers and make better games each time, instead of going for the casual market, like 2K did with Civ V.

*cough* HOI3 *cough*

Not even a good comparison. Elemental from the little I've seen is a closer match to Civ than anything PI have made.

Well, I'm still playing Civ IV BTS, I play all al the PI games, EU3, HOI3, CK2, Victoria 2, Sengoku. And also stardock games like GalCiv II and Elemental: War of Magic and E: The Fallen Enchantress. And Sins of a Solar Empire too.I could go on with good strategy games, but you get the idea.

I gave CiV another shot after the expansion and after having played the patch to the older one.

I do find the expansion holds my attention longer and is a lot more fun to play than vanilla, but a lot of the same glaring problems still stick up, and it still gets boring before the really fun part of the game (Industrial onwards, though that's just me)

I really miss stack combat. It was just so awesome to me thinking of the thousands of people I just eradicated within several seconds. (in a depressing way that makes me want to end the war sooner. But that's just me) And stacks weren't all that hard to kill in CIV because of the artillery's collateral damage. Its what arty are for. However I have found the 1UPT to have its own advantages over the stack combat. Even though it feels like I'm playing a slightly more complicated chess when it comes to battles, it makes it more difficult to attack cities and, thus, smaller City-states can hold themselves against Empires. Theoretically. It doesn't end up that way simply because the AI is mind-numblingly ******ed at times.

Paradox Interactive I've known about for a long time, since '07 when EU3 first came out. It's very hard to return to Civ after playing Paradox games. I heartily recommend Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind, Victoria 2: A House Divided, or Hearts of Iron III: For the Motherland. I don't much like Crusader Kings 2, but that's just my distaste for that era of history. If you like royal dynasty management and espionage more than you like conquest, technology, etc. then CK2 is for you.

Yea, the biggest weak spot in this game is just how long it takes to move a unit ANYWHERE. You really shouldnt have terrain penalties inside your own borders and they should rebalance all the MMovements per turn so theirs nothing less then 3. It's seriously not even worth having some units if you have lots of hills and forrests in your borders.

Thanks for the advice guys! Will definitely check those games out! :) Although to be fair, it's not exactly hard to get a game better than the piece of trash we know as Civ V ;)

(Plus, if a large number of people actually started migrating to a different strategy game, the effect would be tremendous and may actually knock some sense into Fireaxis)

Yea, the biggest weak spot in this game is just how long it takes to move a unit ANYWHERE. You really shouldnt have terrain penalties inside your own borders and they should rebalance all the MMovements per turn so theirs nothing less then 3. It's seriously not even worth having some units if you have lots of hills and forrests in your borders.

Previous civs you can build roads everywhere, which didnt cost money but boosted trade in that tile, I havent the faintest clue why they did this change except for "lets beautify Civ V" Building all roads in your empire, your units can move a minimum of three squares within your empire as it cost 1/3 a movement cost (a lot of units naturally only had a movement of 1) railroads in your empire was either an infinite move as long as you stayed on it, or in one version i think it was change to 1/10 of a move.

Top Bottom