Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ

I've mentioned this before, I will say it again. Steam does not always work in Offline mode and you can be stuck in a cycle where you HAVE to go online to "unbug" it, switch to offline and then you can remove your internet connection and play offline again.

I have over 60 games bought through steam, but they are all games I play once or twice through. Nothing I would play for hundreds of hours like any Civ game before it, or a game I want to be able to take with me on business trips.

Asking for a simple CD key check / once off online activation is too much to ask for now days it seems.

So between the list of versions / configurations and the list of websites and prices, which element is not comprehensive or conclusive to you? Of course you have to decide for yourself which aspect of the choices is most important to you.

The part which says "not confirmed as DLC".

If it's a simple question of "which aspect is most important to Wodan" at least the question is clear. I'll be pissed off that I have to choose, though.

I want everything, that's my answer. Even if I have to pay a little more. But if I have to buy two complete copies, that's annoying. And it's not even 2... to get all the map packs I apparently have to buy six complete copies! :wow:

However, it's not that simple. Clearly, some if not all of the "aspects" will be offered as DLC that I can get later for a small fee if not free. So, then it's a question of "which aspect do I want first". And, furthermore, we need more details. When and how much will the "aspects" be made available as DLC?

Call me a tech idiot, but I still don't understand if you install via Steam (i.e. no CD / DVD) do you always have to have an active internet connection?

Call me a tech idiot, but I still don't understand if you install via Steam (i.e. no CD / DVD) do you always have to have an active internet connection?

You only have to be online during installation. Another case when you have to go online is when some of either Steam or game files get corrupted and have to be redownloaded.

The part which says "not confirmed as DLC".

If it's a simple question of "which aspect is most important to Wodan" at least the question is clear. I'll be pissed off that I have to choose, though.

I want everything, that's my answer. Even if I have to pay a little more. But if I have to buy two complete copies, that's annoying. And it's not even 2... to get all the map packs I apparently have to buy six complete copies! :wow:

However, it's not that simple. Clearly, some if not all of the "aspects" will be offered as DLC that I can get later for a small fee if not free. So, then it's a question of "which aspect do I want first". And, furthermore, we need more details. When and how much will the "aspects" be made available as DLC?

Addendum: Another thing that will anger consumers is if information is provided (which changes what their purchase decision would have been) between the time that they preorder and release day.

It would be more accurate to say, Your only required to go online for "verification".

This is required during "installing a game"
Fixing Steam, I.e if it "bugs out" because you messed with its files. It needs to verify.
Checking User Name+Password, giving you a list of your paid games, which is no problem in online mode, credentials must be saved to be entered automatically however to allow offline mode to function as it sort of "saves the early verification" so you don't need to re-verify.

"if you install via Steam (i.e. no CD / DVD) do you always have to have an active internet connection?"

Read above, your only required to have an internet connection when Steam needs to verify/validate something, access to this something will not be possible till it is validated.

Which is limited to, "Installing / Fixing Corruptions / Logging In (If credentials aren't set to "remember me")"

So after the initial install, and checking to ensure credentials are saved to your computer, you can then set it to "offline mode" and play for as long as you want without an internet connection or corrupting your files, however in offline mode you won't get access to the many "online" features, such as the Steam community and friends list, the Steam Store which offers some good discounted deals from time to time, the ingame browser which means you can surf the web without minimising your game, you won't get your games automatically updated and ofcourse most multiplayer modes, all of these will be features you miss out on, but still in offline mode you can play single player, which Civ provides for famously.

Sorry, I may rant a little bit and it might have already been said by many among you.
It's been quite a while I haven't been around. Missed some of you guys/gals :D
Anyway, here is my concern, as stated on the official Facebook Civ5 page:

I'm feeling a little bit disappointed with the Steam-linked distribution mode. I hope it'll not lead to additional civilizations or game-improvement concepts being released through the Steam channel on single-fee base - I love it traditional way, through expansion packs. The idea of paying 5 bucks every time a new playable civilization/leader is released would be so lame. I know economy and various models, however I feel that applied to such an illustrious game, it will somehow undermine the community. Hoping that I'm wrong, keep doing the great work you make ever since 1992 :)

Just my few cents ;)

Yeah it has been complained and fought about on other threads. BTW it's not $5 you have to worry about for one civ but $10 I believe.

Yeah it has been complained and fought about on other threads. BTW it's not $5 you have to worry about for one civ but $10 I believe.

It's ten dollars for the deluxe edition, which includes Babylon as part of the package. Yeah, it sucks, but don't make it out to be something it's not.

We don't know how the future DLC will be priced.

Oh, thanks for correcting me. I have been reading people saying $10 for the DLC. That is where I got $10 from.

Thier will probably both be DLC and Expansion packs, as well as Exclusive Pre-order and "Deluexe Editions" that we already have. One DLC pack has already been confirmed and you should expect more,

Anyway can a mod move this to the Steam thread.

Oh, thanks for correcting me. I have been reading people saying $10 for the DLC. That is where I got $10 from.

I'd agree on 10 extra bucks for soundtrack and behind-the-scenes cut - some folks like stuff like that - but that's this Babylon civ thing. After having read some comments in this thread, that's how I feel - a hard slap on the face and a turn in the, in my humble opinion, wrong direction. What will refrain 2K and Fireaxis releasing Spain as an extra 10$ pack ?
Why imposing Steam to people ? I don't give a damn about paying 50-60$ for a hard copy of this game, every edition up to date has proved more than worthy this money, is this just about some people downloading torrents ? In a few days, pirates will come up with workarounds. It's just other people like me who will be tied to unstable crap like Steam

DRM is needed, perhaps you don't think so, but the developers do, and I would much rather be stuck with Steam than any other DRM, anyone who disagrees is incapable of logical thought. Steam is the only type of DRM that gives a benefit to customers and not just the developers. Steam gives you a no CD/DVD system, which is useful, Steam allows unlimited downloads and installs of games on an unlimited number of computers, the same can't be said for other forms of DRM. Suffice to say its not the worst form of DRM, I would go as far as saying "it's the best for the customer" but technically completely inefficient things such as "CD Key's" are better in the point that they are really easy to by-pass.

I may have been misunderstood - I am not against a DRM, I pay all my Civ-games as they are worth it, I just don't give a damn about the so-called Steam community - the CivFanatics community is already here. I don't give a damn about the 'exclusive' online content - it should be already within the game! And who cares about the in-game internet browser ???? What's the problem with two different tasks running on your pc - civ and net ?
What I really hate is the lack of choice, and the open door for a Spain-DLC for 10$, Espionnage-DLC for 25$ and so on...
Anyway, as the decision has already been made on this distribution mode, I'll just stop complaining. It's like trying to stop a running train with a small fan. Just wanted to share my few pennies with the community - and I'm relieved not being the only one to raise these issues

What happens when Steam goes out of business? What happen in 8 years, will I be able to count on Steam to provide Civ5 still? How many online business are still around from 8 years ago?

You do know that Steam is almost 8 years old itself. It was released in September 12, 2003. Also its owned by Valve a game company that I'm not seeing going under anytime soon. Also even if it would somehow go down it would not be big suprise if Steam would be sold to someone else as its still quite good business. Also 2k games has stated that if for some reason steam would go out of business they would release a patch that would make the game playable without it.

Also everytime you buy something from online site and downloading it there is certain risks. Thats why I rather buy a physical copy so if the online site goes down I still have my game. Still I don't have nothing against Steam. Used it almost from the day it game out.

Although their is some risk with purchasing online, buying a hard-copy from a retail store also has risks, what if you accidentally break or scratch or lose your disk, then you don't have it anymore, these are all risks that Steam gets rid of, it doesn't just add ways you can lose access to the ability to play your game, but removes some too.

Valve has already put in place... code (i guess), that should steam ever be shut down the games will still be playable.

Pure rumor.

Steam Subscriber Agreement said:
9C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

Official source.

Top Bottom