Civilization is hitting the bottom!

What is this soccer you constantly talk about? Is it another american sport? why don't you play football like in europe?

On topic: it will be very interesting to see statistics after the next patch...i bet it will rise again!
Moreover, if i understood well, the stats are "current players". I don't know for you, but i don't start to play civ if i know i don't have at least one or two hours of play before me (and sometimes an hour is not enough for me to start playing). whereas other games are good for less than 1/2 hour sessions...
Maybe at the same time there are less people, but if you count the different accounts on one week or two (there are week when i can't find enough time to play), there may be much more people. See what i mean?

I guess you guys missed my post about the name (or ignored it).

LAnkou, Soccer = le foot.
Also known as futbòl in Spanish, Calcio in Italian, and Soccer in America, Canada, Australia, and Ireland. :mischief:

I'll tell you why Football Manager 2011 is so successfull when compared to Civ V:

2011 version = 2010 good features + new good features

Civ V = new bad features - Civ IV good features.

Firaxis has a lot to learn with Sports Interactive.

I'll tell you why Football Manager 2011 is so successfull when compared to Civ V:

2011 version = 2010 good features + new good features

Civ V = new bad features - Civ IV good features.

Firaxis has a lot to learn with Sports Interactive.

Football Manager 2010 and 2011 are the same game, just a new yearly release.

Civ V and Civ IV are two completely different games.

Can we change the thread title to: Civilization is kicking around the top 5; Or how I learned the history of football?

Edit: Whoops, haha, said something here, but I was looking at the list wrong. (Is it possible to delete this post?)

Not the same. 2011 is like 2010, but better. As any sequel should be.

But yes, Civ IV and V are two completely different games. That's why V should not be called "Civilization", but something else.

Not the same. 2011 is like 2010, but better. As any sequel should be.

But yes, Civ IV and V are two completely different games. That's why V should not be called "Civilization", but something else.

Yep, and that would make civ5 a better game. I'm glad to see we're getting to the heart of the issue here.

Yep, and that would make civ5 a better game. I'm glad to see we're getting to the heart of the issue here.

Well, when buying the 2010's Porsche 911, I may expect it to have a different engine than 2005's 911. I may expect a slightly different interior (yet I would still expect the key to be placed left of the steering wheel), I may expect even the loss of my favourite colour.

But when I detect that it has been transformed into an underpowered van (which actually still may find it's niche, althouhg all the advertising was about street handling, the powerful engine, the sportive feeling), then I have every right to claim they shouldn't have called this car a 911.

Same game enhanced... Better than previous one... And yes, Civ V is not the sequel of Civ IV, it's another game, about that you are right....

Can i sell you my laptop? I have sticked on it the apple, so it is a Macbook, i sell it to you half priced, but as a Mac...

Nevertheless, he has a point.

The figures are constantly dropping. In the first week after release there were 70.000 people playing, and then it steadily declined.

Every game declines over time. Pretty much no matter how good a game is people are going to get bored with it the more they play. I know a lot of people played Civ4 since release for years, but I would still say the majority (casual mainstream) didn't play it much after the first year (just a game here and there). The rate of decay is about the same for all games, just a big hit like Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops is going to start with a huge population. It will take longer for it to move down the charts, but the rate is still similar (say 5% players lost per week).

Now certain games do persist longer like Counter-Strike, but those games stay popular because of the whole esports thing. Just like Starcraft is stilled play a lot. The multiplayer aspect keeps people playing (and the companies support the game for years).

Not the same. 2011 is like 2010, but better.

Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not 2010. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing 2010. You're on 2010 here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on 2010 on your game. Where can you go from there? Where?

I don't know.

Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Put it up to 2011.

2011. Exactly. One better.

Why don't you just make 2010 better and make 2010 be the top game and make that a little better?

These go to eleven.

Top Bottom