1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization is hitting the bottom!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JLoZeppeli, Dec 2, 2010.

1. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Yes, a trend that you will likely observe with every single video game. Except for the people who become hopelessly addicted to a game (which isn't a good thing) it's quite normal for people to eventually move on or at least play a game less frequently than when they had just bought it.

Really, this sort of trend is not some revelation.
    Two months after release is not a very long time. I'm not playing civ5 lately but it's not because I've given up on it. I suspect a lot of people are doing the same. We're simply waiting for fixes/additions to be made to the game first. When a game is farily buggy at release (or when the first one or two patches introduce bugs :mad:) like civ5, it's pretty rational as a player to just stop playing it until those annoying bugs are fixed.

Evidence for what? That civ5 is a less popular game than other mass market games like Call of Duty or Football Manager?
    I'm struggling to see what actual point you're trying to make here apart from the obvious trends that happen for every game.

2. joasoze

joasoze Chieftain

Interesting thread this. Just never bash Fotball Manager again :) It is possibly the most complex and advanced game ever created. It has been refined since the ealy 90ties (back then it was Championship Manager). When CM4 came a few years back, it sold over 2 million copies in UK alone and was the fastest selling computer game in the UK ever.

3. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Seriously. The lifetime sales of the Manager series can most certainly challenge those of Civilization, although having a new game most years will help!

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'm waiting for the patch before starting a new game. The next two weeks are hell anyway, so I'm not playing at all. Then, if the patch is still in the works, I'll play around with modding for a little bit.

5. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Chieftain

Football Manager is less popular than Civilization Pieceofmind, Football Manager is not an arcade game, but a fine management game, very complex (the streamlined one is Fifa Manager ).

If we speak of Football Games, we can say for sure that FIFA 11 or Pro Evo are very popular... But the same we cannot say for FM... It is becoming popular, thanks to the quality and the fanbase, mostly english to be honest...

Civilization is the most streamlined strategy game by the times of Civ II... And maybe one of the most popular... Try compare the sales of CIv IV with the sales of Football Manager 2005 and 2006...

On the other things about Steam, my statement was that if Steam is the only meter we can use to measure the players, because it's one of the few games that needs Steam to work, it's pretty disappoing the number of players.... Because Football Manager, as i said, does not use Steam to work, only the players that bought it on Steam need to use it... And so far it has more players (and we can assume that, like someone said about Civ V, other players are using it offline, or this silly statement counts only fo Civ??)....

6. Artophwar

Artophwar Chieftain

I dont understand how you can be disappointed by those numbers. Right now Civ 5 is back up to 4th most play game on steam. Only 10000 players behind just the counter strikes and COD black ops which they also require steam to play. I would be willing to bet money that the majority of people playing Football Manager are playing it on steam. Most people enjoy using steam for their games because of all the community features.

7. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Ok, so your point is that you are disappointed with the number of people playing civ5.

Let me then offer up a statement of my own...
    I'm surprised/impressed to see that even in civ5's buggy/unfinished state it manages to have such a large number of regular players.

8. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Again, I'm surprise CiV is even in the top 10.

9. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

Fake statistics?

10. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Chieftain

You expected Civ V to have fewer active users than Garry's Mod, the #10 game on that list?

"Garry's Mod is a physics sandbox. Unlike regular games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. We give you the tools and leave you to play. You spawn objects and weld them together to create your own contraptions - whether that's a car, a rocket, a catapult or something that doesn't have a name yet - that's up to you."

Well, you should be happy to know that Civ V has over 8,000 more users than Garry's Mod, so it's probably safe in the Top 10 for a while. At least until Garry makes another MOD, I suppose.

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

8000 more than Garry's Mod? Yes, I am surprised.

12. PinkRose

PinkRose Chieftain

The real question is why do so many people play Football Manager?
    It's not even about Football.

It's a Soccer game.

13. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Football is the european word for soccer :p

14. Beef Hammer

Beef Hammer Chieftain

150,000 people still play a version of counter-strike everyday, including myself, now that's staying power. :D

15. whb

whb Chieftain

I think you mean "soccer" is the American word for football! :mischief::lol:

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Technically, it's Association Football. Soccer is short for Association (an abbreviation I doubt Americans would ever come up with, honestly, so I think it's something the British came up with and forgot about).

17. charon2112

charon2112 Chieftain

Actually Football is the word the entire world uses for soccer. It's only known as soccer in the US.

18. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Chieftain

The number of people that believe PinkRose's post was serious is depressing.

19. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Chieftain

Weird. I play in offline mode, mostly because my internet can be finicky and occasionally, friends may message me when i'm in my Civ zone. Also, I think it may be dropping (i'm not possibly trying to pretend this is the ONLY reason, but it may explain some drop) in that many players are waiting for the upcoming patch (which has been upcoming for sometime now) before starting a game. A single game in civ requires a decent amount of time investment, I know I haven't played civ for a few weeks now, not because I loathe it, but because i'm waiting for the patch before I put any time into a game.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Italians might disagree with you there.