• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civilization V Announced!

Great news. I'm looking forward to it. Really, really looking forward to it.
I hope that the new game engine means a multithreaded one. Reading posts here has left me with the impression that the game engine is the biggest limiting factor for players.
I also hope the new diplomacy system isn't just some new graphics. It's the part of the game I think needs the most improvement.
I expect it will be very friendly to modders. Sid gets that.
As for Mac support, well I wouldn't hold my breath. I've read that the old game engine provided special challenges for Aspyr. Hope this one is friendlier.

Great news. :( And if Diablo 3 shows up in the Fall I will be completely undone....

I guess we will see a big influx of new posters come summer and fall. :)

eh, they could just cider it meaning only a week of work to make it work

Great news. :(

I can only assume that that's a typo. :lol:

RE: Civs that are going to be in the game- it's bound to be the usual suspects, with a surprise or two. And I'm guessing that the surprise or two won't be the same surprises as last time. So bye-bye Mali.

I hope this "In-Game Community Hub" means they are finally dropping gamespy...

Also, they'd better drop a iPhone/iPad version, pronto! lolz

Yes I'm going to stick my neck out and hope for a server/client model, but definety GS has to go.

CS

There are a couple inaccuracies in that chart. Arabia was still in conquests, and, well, Vikings and Scandinavians are the same thing, plus that leaves 4 civs. :mischief:
I'm thinking Mali, Inca, Vikings, and Ottomans will occupy the other two spots.

Fixed. Thank you. (Wikipedia let me down about the Vikings!)

No, I still count 16 — the other two, I'll make a guess: Arabs and Babylonians.

This should be awesome. I'm a little leary about it cause every new Civ changes something about my play style. I'm excited about the "trading items and land" part. I hope they don't mean just cities. I hope I can lay claim to some peice of land without actually settling it and then trade that peice of land to someone

And with the hexes I hope that will allow for like flanking bonuses in combat

I'm just hoping the Khmer are still in there, but unmutated. :p
Other than that, CivV looks amazing so far. And long-distance archers? Fascinating.

One downside: I'm running civ4 on a XP fairly well, but the movies are really slow. The computer is really full, and I'll need a new computer for civ5. How much would a good enough computer cost?

That depends on whether or not you enjoy overpaying for mediocre hardware. If you do then a $700-$1000 computer from any retail store should temporarily hold you over until you are forced to buy a new computer again.

Or you can build a superior machine for $400-$500 that will play Civ V flawlessly, and you'll never have to buy an entire system again. Custom built PCs only require small $100-$300 upgrades every few years and aren't full of bloat like their retail cousins.

Myself, I hope Civ V is multi-threaded and takes full advantage of my quad core processor. Multi-threaded strategy games are a blast to play. :D

The more I see of the terrain the more stunning it actually look, heres hopeing that the game-play/modding/playability have also increased as much.

I'm skeptical, but would be very impressed if they are able to make diplomacy as fun as combat. That's been one major problem for all CIV games, up to and including CIV Rev -- diplomacy, espionage, trading, economic/cultural victories, even the non-unit-enabling aspects of the tech race all have paled in comparison to warfare from the perspective on interesting/fun gameplay IMO.
I disagree... I've always enjoyed both the peaceful and aggressive sides of Civ, especially Civ4. But sure, improving even further on the diplomacy system would be great. :)

Cool. I particularly like the shadow effect on the moutains in this screenshot. Overall it looks so much better and more blended than the Civ4 terrain. The peaks in particular always looked a bit weird to me in Civ4. But here in Civ5, they look awesome. :)

Also, this screenie of the Hagia Sophia looks good enough to be a title screen. I'm eagerly anticipating the rest of the wonder splashes/movies. :)

RE: Civs that are going to be in the game- it's bound to be the usual suspects, with a surprise or two. And I'm guessing that the surprise or two won't be the same surprises as last time. So bye-bye Mali.
My prediction is the same: no Mali this time, at least not until one of the expansions (maybe). Someone else instead.

Wow with all these posts how in the world did I get number 4?

Sounds interesting. Panzer General style hexes and single unit per hex combat would be different. Hopefully, they cleared up the memory bleed issues from IV and didn't mess too much with what did work (commerce/research), and included the fairly indispensible mod components most of us have come to know and love (RevDCM, BUG).

I'm still going to hold off about 6 months or so for the first unofficial and official patches and mods to become avail. Also, by then we'll know more about the system reqs and gameplay.

So I guess im not going to understand most leaders except for Spanish and English speaking leaders
I presume you'll have advisors which act as interpreters and translators for you. ;)

Here is the announcement many of you have been waiting for! :cool:

2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, today announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V, the newest entry from the genre-defining strategy-based franchise, is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC. Civilization V reinvigorates the classic turn-based strategy genre with an astonishing new engine built from the ground-up for this flagship edition of the Civilization franchise. Players are introduced to an entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of entertainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known.

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

"Sid Meier's Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game. This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades."

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

In addition to Civilization V, Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier's Civilization Network, a Civ game for Facebook. With Sid Meier leading design, Civilization Network will offer yet another option for world domination to both the casual gamer and the biggest fans of the series. It's another way to access the famously addictive world of Civilization.

Nine new screenshots are available in our new Civ5 gallery!

For more information, check out the official Civ V website.

this looks and sounds like the greatest game of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every new screeshot has me going wow, the Hagia Sophia Wonder pic is just stunning

I hope we still have simple python coding and easy modding, the civ team will be hanged if they fail to deliver that...other then that, WOO HOO!

Top Bottom