Civilization V: The Mobile Game!

Visiting their site with an Android phone, I'm redirected to a page with android products, and I was unable to find any sign of Civ anywhere via the mobile version of their site. So I'm not going to take the chance unless someone confirms that they were able to run it.

Looks like a game that would be at home in the later 90s; the sprite art is kind of sparse and very detracting. iPhone games look way better than this now, even the ones with no 3D models and just plain art.

But this looks like its made for the lowest denominator of phones.

I'd like to hear more about how this games plays from someone who has it. One thing I noticed from the video is that the barbs actually attack the cities. That's new.

Kinda obvious... 2k doesn't want gameloft competing with them for civ rev. So I'm sure it's in the contract gameloft can't make it for ios

BlackBerry is Java based as well. Which is why the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will be able to run Android apps soon.

iPhone is Objective-C.

BB OS 4-7 are Java based, the Playbook uses QNX's Neutrino OS as the core with Adobe Flash(via Adobe Air SDK) as the UI. The Playbook will run Android apps via a special player app that will prove the Java VM for the Android apps. And sometime next year the first QNX superphones will arrive and mark the beginning of the end of BB Java based phones.

CS

Since Civ5 itself requires so much juice to run, how is this even possible? Surely the AI must be pretty dumb...

AI scripting is usually not processing intensive. They might have limits on map size and such, and the obvious limitations on the graphical end.

Don't have a smart phone sadly, but looks cool, love the idea of spending "one more turn" on the bus.

Gameloft cut out some parts of the original civ 5.
There are no spearman, pikeman, rifleman.
Swordsman, longswordsman, knight(this one is strange because horseman need horses while knight doesn't) requires no resources.
There is no diplomatic victory. Science victory was shortened to make one part of the spaceship called "spaceship" lol.
There are only 3 diplomatic terms: war, peace or pay/demand tribute.
AI is really bad. Example: he sent lonely artillery to take my city while he had 5 infantry and 4 artillery defending his homeland against my 1 infantry(he successfully killed it after 3 turns).
Tech tree was cut down however I don't think that was a huge problem.
Game mechanics were almost the same. Culture policies were simplified.
That is all what I can tell you about this game

Uh yeah, if my 980x with GTX 580 chugs between turns I can't imagine how dumbed down this is going to have to be.

Is it possible to turn off that god-awful anti-productive immersive breaking grid off in the moble version?
Options -- Tiles:Off

I've sent them an email asking if there will be any Android and iPhone version as well.
I wonder if they'll reply..
And they have replied. And quite soon as well.
Unfortunately it's a hollow reply with no information whatsoever :(
Thank you for your interest in Gameloft games and for being such a devoted Gameloft customer.

Unfortunately, we can not provide you with information about our future game releases. Our development team is constantly working to bring new games to all platforms and we forward them all your suggestions. We do not currently have any specific information to share about the release of this particular game for your device, but be sure to follow our Twitter (twitter.com/gameloft) or like us on Facebook (facebook.com/gameloft) so that you'll be the first to know when this changes. All our new game announcements are available there in real time.

Please note that you should not try downloading a game which is not specifically for your phone model. Each game is built for one particular device. If your phone is not on the list of supported devices, it's no use trying to get another build. It will not work and it is not meant to work.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
:dunno:

:hmm: sure that there isn't? Java is running on Androids, that shouldn't be a problem.

Saying "java" can be a bit problematic.. Java is 3 different things:

1 - programming language
2 - programming API
3 - bytecode interpreter aka Java Virtual Machine aka runtime environment

Typical Java includes all 3 items, and this (well a mobile-optimized version of) is what runs on "java" phones, and it's called J2ME (Java2 mobile edition)

Android's Java is quite different... It includes #1 above, the language.. but uses a different API, and a runtime environment called Dalvik. So it can't run actual Java java apps, only Android java apps.

There -is- an actual J2ME interpreter for Android, but I think it's pretty much defunct or unmaintained and may or may not work properly on today's devices/modern Android versions.

Well, I don't know, I have a Samsung Monte (not Android), and I can say this game is AMAZING! This is the best game for mobile ever!

I have only one problem: too aggressive AI. If it wouldn't be to aggressive, I may enjoy playing without always think about the "cold-war-stylish" gameplay, which is absolutely not enjoyable. Another problem can be the extremely bad diplomacy. Almost 2 options??? It is laughably few! I need 10, or more options, hey!

Except these, I love this game. Absolutely civ-ish. Buildings, units, graphics, etc., all are just perfect! But it is my opinion, and please don't try to say "you're wrong" and sucha. ;)

I would try this out, but sadly they do not have a version yet for my hires screen on my new BlackBerry 9810, though they do offer a version for the older 9800 :(

CS

Well, I don't know, I have a Samsung Monte (not Android), and I can say this game is AMAZING! This is the best game for mobile ever!

I have only one problem: too aggressive AI. If it wouldn't be to aggressive, I may enjoy playing without always think about the "cold-war-stylish" gameplay, which is absolutely not enjoyable. Another problem can be the extremely bad diplomacy. Almost 2 options??? It is laughably few! I need 10, or more options, hey!

Except these, I love this game. Absolutely civ-ish. Buildings, units, graphics, etc., all are just perfect! But it is my opinion, and please don't try to say "you're wrong" and sucha. ;)
Yep, I believe yeah. CiV Mobile looks like an upgraded version of the iPod's Civ Rev and I was absolutely hooked on that game.

I didn't have CivRev Mobile (as I don't have iPod only the Samsung Monte) but this is amazing, they released on Java! I was a bit afraid when they announced it will be for Android or Apple, but no, I read forward and Java! But I'm sad they didn't do on Android, because many people can't use it now. But at least I can. :)

So wait, this is out, but not for the iPhone? Even though it's been about a year?!

What about this? What happened? They even dropped the price of revolutions for the iPhone to 99 cents...

Top Bottom