Civilization

Domino369

Warlord
What civ and leader should we choose?
I'm professed in Roosevelt of America, but that's just because I like to play as a builder and he is one of the best IMO.
I also like a Protective/Charismatic civ if we were to play this aggresively (Churchill I think)

Depends on what kinds of victories people on the team are versed in. Cultural victories are usually my strong suit, so I favor leaders with creative/organized traits, but let's see what the group thinks.

I would take a good all-rounder like Pacal II. You can start with a fast expansion (UB and leadertrait) and have all the time no problems with your economy (leadertrait). Furthermore he has a UU that needs no Copper and so you do not have to make compromises in your research or cityplacing to get a good early defence. After a good stat you have the free choice between a buildergame and a military play.

[I'm a member of the german civilization forum (civforum.de) and want to see the fanatic-style to play this game. Secondary I want to practice my english. So if you don't understand what i say/write, please tell me. I played some DGs in the civforum (for example the last ISDG with your team) and my SP-level is emperor/immortal.]

I have to admit I'm a bit out of my element with BtS. I'm pretty comfortable with vanilla, though. But in terms of choosing a leader.... I'm going to have to do some research first :D

One quick comment about going for a Cultural Victory - it's dangerous in MP. The other teams can see it coming from a mile away. Unless you know some tricks that I don't know :hmm:

¿do we know the dificult settings and game speed?.

Dont count with a cultural victory, if you plan to go on cultural i would say you need to wipe completelly a enemy civilization and then build strongest military, then you can go cultural.

In any case i would choose a leader with financial, (the +1 economy boost as long as the land produces 2 gold is unvaluable for me).

The second trait i feel depends on settings, for example marathon speed = inca nation.

So... ¿game settings have been decided allready?

I'm fairly certain the speed is Normal. Nobody from previous MTDGs is in favor of slowing the game down by increasing the length of time it takes to research techs. The whole point of setting this game up in PitBoss was to speed up and smooth out game play.

From previous MTDGs, I'd say that an early Unique Unit is not that big of a deal. In fact, the UUs in CIV4 aren't nearly as important a consideration as they are in civ3. The leader traits and Unique Building will have a much greater impact, and so need careful consideration.

I know from scanning the strategy articles that there's quite a lot written about various gambits using the Apostolic Palace. Can anyone offer me an basic explanation and evaluation of how the AP will impact this game?

Aggressive : Free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units.
Double production speed of Barracks and Drydock.

Creative : +2 culture per city.
Double production speed of Library, Theater, and Colosseum.

Expansive : +2 health per city.
Double production speed of Granary and Harbor.
25% faster production of Workers.

Financial : +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.

Industrious : Wonder production increased 50 percent.
Double production speed of Forge.

Organized : Civic upkeep reduced 50 percent.
Double production speed of Lighthouse, Factory, and Courthouse.

Philosophical : Great People birth rate increased 100 percent.
Double production speed of University.

Spiritual : No anarchy.
Double production speed of Temples and the Cristo Redentor wonder.

Imperialistic : Great General emergence increased 100 percent.
50% faster production of Settlers.

Protective : Free Drill I and City Garrison I promotions for archery and gunpowder units.
Double production speed of Walls and Castle.

Charismatic : +1 happiness per city.
-25% XP needed for unit promotions.
+1 happiness from Monument and Broadcast Tower.

Let's start scoring these traits. We choose 4 traits, assigning 4 points to the top choice, 3 to the second, and on. Then we can look at which traits have the most points to narrow things down a bit. Of course, if you have a suggestion of an alternate way to discuss this, please speak up! :hammer2:

4 Expansive
3 Spiritual
2 Imperialistic
1 Financial

4 Financial
3 Expansive
2 Philosophical
1 Organized
Although I do have to warn you I am probably fairly inexperienced compared to most

4.Charasmatic
3.Organized
2.Financial
1.Expansive

If we are going to be going for a domination victory i would personally like someone like churchill because of the charasmatic trait and the mid game UU.

Look at you, peter_grimes, with your sexy, organized post. Taking charge, I like that.

4. Spiritual
3. Financial
2. Creative
1. Organized

Honestly, I'm starting to like Churchill more and more. The Redcoat UU would be a nice rushed unit to get out (if I'm correct, it has 16 atk over the normal riflemans 14 atk)

Traits:
4 Charismatic (cuz it is overpowered if you play units to high xp)
3 Spiritual or Protective (no anarchy would be nice but its on normal so it's only one turn... (I'm used to 10 turns lol) Protective has those nice automatic bonuses, drill is REALLY nice to have on gunpowder units)
2 Imperialistic (50% setller prod. speed may be nice in the early game, but I think there are better traits)
1 Industrial (some wonders are hax lol)

4.Charasmatic
3.Organized
2.Financial
1.Expansive

If we are going to be going for a domination victory i would personally like someone like Churchill because of the charismatic trait and the mid game UU.

I'll second this and add my vote:
  1. Expansive
  2. Charismatic
  3. Imperialistic
  4. Financial

I think the British civilization would be great because of it's great mid game UU and leader traits. With the Brits we have a wide range of leaders to choose from for whatever strategy we adopt and they're all balanced.

• We can do Churchill for his city happiness and military bonuses.
  • We can do Victoria for her Financial savvy.
  • Or we can do Elizabeth for the great leaders she gives birth to.

4 points fiancial.
3 points agresive.
2 points protective.
1 point Imperialistic.

I dont mind chossing any english leader but if we do we have to have a clear strategy.

You are forgotting the greatest advantage of english UU and its that its not a riflemen, therefore grenadiers dont get the 50% bonus strength against them, combined with their 2 points extra strength makes them the best unit in game for that time.

So, if we get the compromise of gonig into english i would suggest to get to the compromise of when we get to red coats a hard switch and backstabing to the nearest (enemy or friendly) civilization.

(although i would go to war much sooner than that)

@ spiritual voters

Do you know that with BTS you have no anarchy at revolutions in golden ages? With BTS spiritual losts a lot of its charm.

@ aggressive, protective voters

This are nice traits for the units but they are effectless if your opponent has better troups cause of his technologic leadership. In my opinion we should be the 'number one in science' and this is much easier with the ecenomic traits.

Interesting results so far :yup:

First I'll list the data:
Code:
Financial     1 4 4 2 3 1 4 4 = 23
Expansive     4 3 3 1 4 1 = 16
Spiritual     3 4 3 3 = 13
Charismatic   4 2 4 2 = 12
Imperialistic 2 1 3 1 = 7
Organized     2 1 3 1 = 7
Protective    2 2 = 4
Creative      1 2 = 3
Aggressive    3 = 3
Philosophical 2 = 2
Industrial    1= 1

So which 3 leaders fit our pattern best?

When I plugged in Financial, Expansive, and Charismatic into the leader picker, it came back with
Washington: Expansive/Charismatic, Agriculture & Fishing, Mall (jazzy supermarket)
Hannibal: Financial/Charismatic, Fishing & Mining, Cothon (jazzy harbor)
Pacal II: Expansive/Financial, Mining & Mysticism, Ball Court (jazzy coliseum)

Of all of these, I'd opt for Hannibal. I dont' see any use for the mall or ball court. Plus, the UU for Hannibal is the Numidian Cavalry :strength: 5, :move: 2, :hammers: 50:
Unique unit for Carthage; Replaces Horse Archer
Immune to first strikes
Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
Can withdraw from combat (20% chance)
Flank attack against Catapults and Trebuchets
Starts with Flanking I
+50% attack vs. Catapults and Trebuchets
+50% vs. Melee Units

And so we don't lose it, the Leader Picker

I don`t think i`ve ever played a game with Hannibal I should do so. . . . i was the only one to vote for philosophical eh haha

My vote would be with Pacal II, but Hannibal is fine too. Washington blows as a leader.

Peter, if I could have sex with your posts, I would.

Top Bottom