Civilizations and leaders you would like to see, but probably won't

LightSpectra

me autem minui
I'm aware the majority of these are available as mods, but these are ones I'd like to see as part of the "core" game, or perhaps in Civilization V.

Civilizations

Poland (Casimir III), Isreal (David), Assyria (Ashurbanipal, or perhaps Tiglath-Pileser III), Venezuela (Simon Bolívar), Brazil (Pedro II), Timurids (Timur), Sweden (Gustavus Adolphus).

Leaders

I would say China and Rome are the two civilizations that deserve four leaders.

Trajan & Romulus (Rome), Nebuchadnezzar II (Babylon), Muhammed Ali (Egypt), Constantine I (Byzantium), Yik'in Chan K'awiil (Maya), Taizong & Kangxi (China), Maurice of Nassau (Netherlands), Antonio Salazar (Portugal), Ayatollah Khomeini (Persia), Menelik II (Ethiopia), Akbar (India), Abu Bakr & Harun al-Rashid (Arabia), Sargon (Sumer), Charles I (Spain), Meiji, or perhaps Ito Hirobumi (Japan). I'd also change "Holy Roman Empire" to the Franks, and add Charles Martel.

I would think it'd be interesting with the Mughal Empire in the game. I'd also like the Merina kingdom of Madagascar with either Andrianampoinimerina and/or Radama as the leader.

I completely agree that China should have at least 4 leaders.

Taizong is an essential choice, but for the second one i wasn't thinking of Kangxi, since he would pretty much be overshadowed by Taizong.

My second choice would be Deng Xiaoping.

And no, please, no Israel civ in the game. Ever.

I would like to see Putin and/or Lenin as a new leader for Russia, and Hitler for Germany.

Ancient Israel was quite powerful before it was split up. I don't see what's wrong with an Israel civ, especially if you're going to put Hitler in.

I would love to see a South African civ, for obvious reasons. :D And I mean (post-)Colonial South Africa, not the indigenous Zulu, Xhosa, Venda, etc tribes (though I was freaking stoked when I heard Shaka/the Zulus were included in Warlords). In our short history we have had some great military conflicts (notably against the Zulus and the British), and some human rights atrocities and successes.

I can only really think of one unique unit, and that would be the Boer Commando. Boers were notorious for their use of guerrilla tactics against the British, and many of them were crack shots and expert horsemen, so I would imagine the Commando to be a Cavalry replacement. Giving these Commandos the ability to gain defensive bonuses from terrain would likely be suited as this exemplifies the tactics they used against the native Zulus (for instance, at the Battle of Blood River, where 500 Boers held off 10,000 Zulus by virtue of their placement on a hill that had a river partially surrounding it) and their British oppressors. They were also exceedingly skilled at avoiding artillery fire and ambush.

As for unique buildings... I dunno, really. The Dutch colonists built a pretty sweet castle in Cape Town, so maybe some Castle replacement; but that is pretty much the only castle in South Africa. :p Some form of Courthouse may be more applicable, as South Africans have a history of segregating each other off into separate neighbourhoods, towns, suburbs, and even states; so a Courthouse that also has some form of police-type bonus (say for instance reduced chance of city revolt, or minus unhappy faces) would accurately portray this.

There are a handful of leaders to choose from. Koos de la Rey was a Boer general who fought the English in the South African war. He strove for peace until the very last, but kept on fighting long after his comrades had given up. He was one of the progenitors of the Boer guerrilla tactics. I would imagine him being Protective (since he is a highly skilled military strategist, but not aggressive in the way the other Agg leaders are) and I don't know what else. If we include later South Africa as well, meaning the consolidation of Boer, English, and indigenous populations into one nation, then Nelson Mandela is a highly obvious alternative choice. He would likely be a Gandhi-type pacifist/humanist leader, possibly Spiritual and something else.

Anyway, I've been wanting to share the idea of a South African civ for a while so excuse this gush of a post. :D

You know, the game seems to be a bit short on female leaders; so how about Austria is added as a civilization, with Maria Theresa as its leader?

Civs
Austria, Huns, Assyrians, Sioux (NOT "Native America"), Iroquois, Sweden (as well as Vikings), Vietnam, the Mughal Empire, and Italy.

Leaders
4 Leaders-- China, Rome, England
3 Leaders-- France, Russia, Germany, America, Arabia, Turkey/Ottoman Empire (whatever they call it in Civ V), Arabia, Egypt, Mongols (add Tamerlane), India, Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire, Japan
2 Leaders-- Spain, The Netherlands, Austria, Persia, Greece
1 Leader-- Vietnam, Khmer, Korea, Carthage, Mali, Ethiopia, Zulu, Sioux, Iroquois, Sweden, Vikings, Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, Sumer, Babylon, Celts, Italy, Portugal, Holy Roman Empire, Assyria, Huns, Mughal Empire

I would go with about 3 more civilizations:

Australia - 2 leaders: Sir Edmund Barton and Gordon McKenzie. Unique Unit: ANZAC soldier. Unique Building: War Memorial.
Italy - 2 Leaders: Benito Mussolini and Giovanni de Medici. Unique Unit: Gendarmerie. Unique Building: Canal.
Olmec - 1 leader: La Venta. Unique Unit: Olmec Warrior. Unique Building: Ball court.

and 10 new leaders:

France: Joan of Arc
Incan: Pachacuti
Russia: Mikhail Gorbachev
England: Charles II
Aztec: Cuitlahac
American: George H.W. Bush, Thomas Jefferson
China: Sun Tzu
India: Indira Ghandi
Egypt: Tutankhamen

Cavour would be much better suited for an Italian, although they would probably pick Garibaldi over him.

Power to the men with moustaches

I'd say for as impactful as Israel has been from ancient times to this very present day, it's high time Israel is added to a Civ game. After all, pretty much most all of world history centers around Israel, it's religion, and the holy land they reside in. Heck you can't even turn on the news without hearing about present day conflict regarding them and the arab world. Pretty much the entire world centers around Israel's borders, and what Israel does.

My point being is that they are probably the single most influentul (postively or negatively; all depends on your point of view) and impactful civilization known to mankind. Very few civilizations can rival the hebrew/jewish influence over the coarse of world history.

So Israel lead by King David, Solomon, (or maybe even Moses) or a later day era prime minister (though I honestly can't think of one prestigous enough.

Israel is a must have, but some other civs I think would be neat to have would be the Assyrians, Sioux, Huns, Visigoths, Iriqoius, Massai, Apaches, Nigerians, Commanches, Cherokees, Scottish (or as the Celts), Romania, Austrailia, Canada, Veitnam, and what ever African nations deemed worthy that would help fill up a world earth map.

As for new leaders, I agree Constantine The Great is an aboslute must. I'd also like to see Ronald Reagan for America. Give more leaders to China and Japan too. Gorbechev for Russia... For England, King James and Richard the Lionheart. Inca: Pachacuti. For Baylon, Nebuchednezzar, and for Persia, Xerxes. Also add Basil for Byzantium along with Constantine. (Depends on where you put Constantine, since he could technically go with either Byzantium or Rome.) Add Marcus Aurileus or Caligula for Rome.

Gorbachev and Xerxes? I can think of much better leaders for both sides than either of them.

For Russia: Ivan III (defeated the Mongols and quadroupled the size of Russia), Ivan IV (cemented the power of the tsar), Alexander Nevsky (voted the greatest Russian ever), Alexander II (defeated Napoleon).

Persia/Iran: Ayatollah Khomeini (overthrew the Shah and ruled for several years, effective military leader), Seleucus I (grabbed the largest amount of land after Alexander's death), Surena (won the overwhelming victory at Carrhae).

Scotland: Robert the Bruce (Charismatic, Imperialistic) (UU: Highlander, replaces Maceman, no resource requirement, starts with Mobility; UB: Bailey, replaces Castle, +10% unit production, +1 happy)

Inca: Tupac Yupanki (Expansive, Organized)

Agree with LightSpectra on Ivan III "The Terrible" (Aggressive, Charismatic)

Austria: Klemenz Metternich (Charismatic, Imperialistic) (UU: Jaeger, replaces Rifleman, starts with Guerilla II; UB: Ballroom, replaces Theatre, +100% culture)

Vikings: Harald Hardraada (Organized, Expansive)

Vikings: Olav II (Spiritual, Expansive)

Germans: Barbarossa (Spiritual, Aggressive)

Romans: Hadrian (Industrious, Protective)

Greeks: Leonidas (Aggressive, Charismatic)

Persians: Kashayer Shah [Xerxes] (Imperialistic, Organized)

Indians: Rama (Aggressive, Philosophical)

Chinese: Lu Bu (Aggressive, Creative)

English: Henry VIII (Charismatic, Organized)

Celts: Niall of the Nine Hostages (Imperialistic, Organized)

Native Americans: Geronimo (Charismatic, Expansive)

Native Americans: Pontiac (Aggressive, Financial)

Egyptians: Sobek Nefru (Financial, Philosophical)

Huns: Atilla (Aggressive, Charismatic); (UU: Horse Skirmisher, replaces HA +2 first strikes) (UB: Cattle Market, replaces marketplace, +1 health form cattle, sheep, horses)

So it was Ivan III who took Kazan, or was that Ivan IV?

IV. Ivan III's main accomplishment was the curbing of the Golden Horde.

The civ most deserving of additional leader is Japan. Togo couldn't have been the only Japanese leader worth honoring in civ. How about Oda Nobunaga or Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the man who united Japan?

Well, the thing there is that it's two leaders from the same era.

Top Bottom