1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Wishlist for potential Civ6 leaders

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Guandao, Nov 22, 2017.

1. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this. Granted I may be a bit biased, he's my favorite president, but I think Theodore Roosevelt is one of the best picks for a leader of the United States! As Guandao said, he has a ton of personality and is well-known for his conservation of nature, trust busting, his big stick diplomacy, seeing character as important as policies, etc. I would even argue that he neatly fits the American character or at least an idealized version of it. I would be more than glad to see him again in Civ 7 since there's so much you can do with him.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Mali has been moved to the Alternate Leaders section. Congratulations Mali! :goodjob::dance::banana::cheers:

3. Guandao

Sweden has been moved to the Alternate Leaders section. Congratulations Sweden! :dance::banana::cheers::band:

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  4. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Congratulations, Sweden. Too bad you got the France and Civ V Portugal treatment)

5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I take that to mean you didn't approve of the related female leaders, but I think Catherine de' Medici was quite a capable ruler of France in one of its most chaotic periods, even if she did make tactical mistakes. She wasn't raised to be a politician unlike other rulers, and yet masterfully stopped Protestants and Catholics from escalation at key moments, even convincing both to join forces so they could defeat Elizabeth I's English invaders at Le Havre. That aside, Catherine was a masterful diplomat, and successfully plotted out marriages to stave off any military threat from Philip II's Spain, for example. And she was quite cultured and cultivated.

For me the issue with Christina is that (unlike Catherine) she didn't seem to care much for rulership of the nation as such (but had some indemnities from a war at least), and was more invested in personal enlightenment or culturemongering or beautifying her favorite cities.

Anyway, starting to go a bit off topic so I'll stop. Perhaps as relates to the topic, what alternate leaders would you have preferred for Sweden, Portugal and France? Aside from the usual iconic leaders like Gustavus Adolphus, John II or Napoleon for example.

Guandao and IgorS like this.
  6. IgorS

I agree overall about Catherine. My problem is that Firaxis tries to force female leaders on civs where there is no good female option, and that is mainly because they have decided not to go with Catherine for Russia and Isabella for Spain this time, giving those countries male rulers, and therefore deciding to give other civs female leaders.
    As my preferred choice for Sweden, I think my avatar says it all. I'd like to see Gustav Vasa. I'm really proud with how he came out when I made a leaderhead of him for Civ IV, and he was a leader I really wanted to make. When I think Sweden, he is the first one who comes to mind as the father of the nation. I'm sure he'd make for a lot of funny animations too.
    For France it is Louis XIV. He has been in only two games so far, and one of them was Civ II, where he was just a picture.
    For Portugal, I'd go for Pombal, I guess. Afonso Henriques and Joao II are also great choices.

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Hm, well I guess I would classify Catherine as a good female option, even if not as accomplished as Catherine the Great of Russia (but few leaders, male or female, were).

I think your possible leader choices are interesting, though I would prefer Henri IV or Cardinal Richelieu over Louis XIV, who was an extravagant overspender, even if accomplished (and neither Henri IV or Richelieu have ever been in Civ, and both are certainly iconic in France).

8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The thing is - at least in my view - that having appeared as leader of France in two civ games is a reason not to appear in the near future. France isn't shy of great leaders and there's still a bunch of first rate leaders that haven't appeared in a civ game. Francoys I and Philippe le Bel for example. And if Barbarossa can lead Germany, Chlodovecus can lead France ;-)

Add:
    Saint-Louis
    Louis XI le prudent (the careful) / le rusé (the canny) / l'araignée (the spider) who could have had CdMs bonus as well

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. Guandao

I've moved the Ottomans to the Alternate Leaders wishlist. Congratulations Ottomans! :clap::woohoo::dance::band::beer::banana:

10. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

A bit of a question and a suggestion here: would you count the Sakonnet people as part of the Wampanoag? I'm asking because some sources say they're related but different but some say the Sakonnet are a sub tribe within the Wampanoag. If the latter is the case then I'd like to put forth Awashonks as a Wampanoag leader. If not then simply as a Sakonnet leader.

Guandao likes this.
  11. Guandao

I'll add Awashonks as a Wampanoag leader.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  12. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Chieftain

dark-mysterio likes this.
  13. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

Okay, but I also then demand Joshua Norton for an American leader. ;)

TeddyMain likes this.
  14. TeddyMain

TeddyMain Chieftain

Okay, but I also demand we get Vermin Supreme for an American leader.

15. Basajaun

Basajaun Warlord

I would love some Basque representation in the game, mainly because we are pre-Roman and we are still around, and quite spread around the world.

Although I dont really know who could be chosen as the "Leader" of the civ, because Basques were mostly tribal, and didnt really venture out until quite late, or really engage in imperialistic practices. There were notable fishermen and explorers, Juan Sebastian Elkano is Basque for example, but wouldnt be right as a civ leader. Plus, an interesting fact:

"Since the Basque language is unrelated to Indo-European, it has long been thought to represent the people or culture that occupied Europe before the spread of Indo-European languages there. A comprehensive analysis of Basque genetic patterns has shown that Basque genetic uniqueness predates the arrival of agriculture in the Iberian Peninsula, about 7,000 years ago."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basques

16. IgorS

17. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

This obviously isn't the biggest deal ever but it would be nice to include Quigualtam and the Great Sun under the Natchez too even if they're already under the Mississippians.