Civilizations in Civ 5: Europe

What European civilizations do you want to see in Civ 5?

• England

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Norway

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • Finland

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Denmark

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • Vikings

Votes: 75 49.3%
  • Poland

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • France

Votes: 109 71.7%
  • Spain

• Portugal

Votes: 90 59.2%
  • Rome

Votes: 104 68.4%
  • Italy

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • Celts

Votes: 77 50.7%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • Austria

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Hungary

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Russia

• Romania

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Yugoslavia

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • Greece

Votes: 106 69.7%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 78 51.3%
  • Ottomans/Turkey

Votes: 106 69.7%
  • Other

Votes: 30 19.7%

• Total voters
I think the we should see Italy in Civ 5 :clap::clap::clap:

Look back on all the historic events that involved Italy, and her roll in the Renaissance years (though it was not yet united :eek:). She is a member of the G8, and is a world power today.
Though it may be redundant seeing as Rome is already a civ, there are many ways to get around such problems. You could incorporate italy into the roman civ and give it at least some recognition. Or, one of the capitals of either Rome or Italy could be translated into their respective languages (Latin and Italian).

I think Italy deserves at least recognition in Civ 5, just look over everything she has done for history :)

Why I don't think Italy should be a civ is because it's confusing and disturbing that there is both Rome and Italy. I rather think that when Rome reaches medival times, it should split up into Holy Roman Empire, Italy, Byzantium and Roman Germany.

That is a great idea ;) !!!

That's just what I mean, even if Italy doesn't become its own civilization, it should definitely get some kind of recognition, I think everyone can agree on that. :goodjob:

But Byzantium can be claimed by the Greeks to because for long part of its existence was a Greek empire rather than Latin/Italian

Interesting that the Ottomans/Turkey are so highly ranked, though they have never been an original civilization.

Portugal - SIM. OF COURSE!!!
England - Yes or for a better use British
Vikings - Yes
Germany - Ja
Netherlands - Yes
France - Oui
Spain - Si. (I need someone to annihilate when I start a game) :lol:
Rome - Yes
Celts - Yes
Russia - Yes
Greece - Yes
Ottomans/Turkey -Yes
Other - Austria-Hungarain Empire and If the British doesn't appear, than the Scots.

In doubt:
Byzantium and Poland.

England
Yes - except it should be Britain instead (pre-British England and Scotland would be incorporated).

Norway
No. Only as Denmark-Norway.

Sweden
Maybe, if there is enough Asian/African representation.

Finland
No.

Denmark

Vikings
Yes, but rename them the Norse Empire/Scandinavia, rather than the Viking Empire/Vikings. If this is in, then no Denmark or Sweden.

Poland

Germany
Yes, and this time Austria and the HRE should be incorporated.

Netherlands
Yes.

France
Yes.

Spain
Yes.

Portugal
Yes.

Rome
Yes.

Italy

Celts

Holy Roman Empire
No, see Germany

Austria
No, see Germany.

Hungary

Russia
Yes

Romania
No.

Yugoslavia
No. (And I'm quarter Serbian, eighth Slovene.)

Greece
Yes, but I would prefer the Athenians and Macedonians instead.

Byzantine Empire
I think it should really be part of Rome, but maybe it could be in if there is enough Asian/African representation.

Ottomans/Turkey
Yes - both European and Middle Eastern rep.

Other
Bulgars - Maybe, if there is enough Asian/African representation (not the Slavic Bulgarians who are descended from them, the Turkic Bulgars - I think this is what the guy that was suggesting a non-Slavic Bulgaria was getting at)
Venice - Maybe, if there is enough Asian/African representation.
An Andalusian state - Yes.
Scotland, Ireland or Wales - No.
Czechs - No.
Kievan Rus - Yes.
Khazaria - Yes.

I'd hardly call Italy a world power today. The streets of Naples are filled with garbage and the mafia controls 30% of the economy iirc. They could add an Itallian ice resource, I suppose. (That was mean :D )

I demand Braveheart be added as a Celtic leader.

Bulgarrians!
Reasons explained already.

Civs I want to see:

Scotland-
Wales-
Ireland-
Engand-
Denmark-
Teutonic Order(was a major Military power from 13th to 14th century)-
Sparta (not Greece, Sparta)-
Greece***-
Rome*-
Spain-
Portugal-
Moors-
Egypt-
France-
The Turks**-
Kingdom of Jerusalem-
Principality of Antioch-
Macedonia-
Sciliy-
Poland-
Hungary-
Novgorod****-
Keiv****-
Lithuania-
Venitian Republic-

*= I would like to see Rome eventually be given the option to become the Byzantines or Holy Romans, then they eventually become Italy.
**= The Turks would eventually become the Ottomans
***= Alexander the Great would not lead Greece.
****= Eventually Novgorod and Keiv will begiven the option of Becoming Russia.

It's quite funny. Both England and Germany are ahead of the choises. (with 51)
Then Spain and Greece with 50, France and Russia with 49.

As everyone one knows, Firaxis will continue toi use England (complete with St. George's Cross) to represent all of the UK. You can shout 'saoirse' all you want, Vandal Walord, but it's a proven fact that many Americans can't tell the difference between the UK and England.

I'd love to see either an Irish or Scottish civ (preferably both), but it's just not going to happen, and if it is, it will be horribly cliché.

England, Germany, France, Spain & Rome are the obvious ones. Netherlands, Portugal & Sweden are the lesser empires from Europe. But also important.

I also voted for the Ottoman Empire, although it's a asian empire.

damned, I forgot Greece (I didn't vote for it, my mistake)

I believe the ottoman empire most certainly can be classified as being a european civilization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:OttomanEmpireIn1683.png
click the link....the ottomans ruled over the entirety of south eastern europe. Its also worth noting that since the ottomans were a multi-ethnic empire that they werent a foreign implant...yes that means they had european beauracrats and troops too..
and modern turkey..well , modern turkey's sports teams play in the european associations, they are applying for EU membership and are generally considered european by one and all. Most europeans certainly consider turks to be european.
can someone explain to me the nordic debate...what do the scandinavian civ players prefer? a generic scandinavian civilization?
Yes the Ottoman Empires controlled over the South-East of Europe, and even their capital (1453-1922) was located in Europe, but that didn't make any difference, their are a asian empire, Russia has a lot of land in Asia, but is European.

about the Turkey:
I don't know where you in Europe live, but in mine observation, The Netherlands & Sweden, nobody considers Turks as European.

about Scandinavia:
I wouldn't like to see a generic Scandinavian Civ, it's like a adding Canada to the US. As someone posted in this thread you have the western part (Denmark-Norway) and the eastern part (Sweden-Finland).
And yes there was a Kalmar union (1397-1523), but that was a bad experiment.
And because Sweden has 9.2 million citizens, and Denmark only 5.5 I suggest that Sweden is a better choice for marketing point of view.

Both countries had their dominance in Scandinavia, first the Danes, then the Swedes. I'm not that neutral to make a choice.

Civs I want to see:

Scotland-
Wales-
Ireland-
Engand-
Denmark-
Teutonic Order(was a major Military power from 13th to 14th century)-
Sparta (not Greece, Sparta)-
Greece***-
Rome*-
Spain-
Portugal-
Moors-
Egypt-
France-
The Turks**-
Kingdom of Jerusalem-
Principality of Antioch-
Macedonia-
Sciliy-
Poland-
Hungary-
Novgorod****-
Keiv****-
Lithuania-
Venitian Republic-

*= I would like to see Rome eventually be given the option to become the Byzantines or Holy Romans, then they eventually become Italy.
**= The Turks would eventually become the Ottomans
***= Alexander the Great would not lead Greece.
****= Eventually Novgorod and Keiv will begiven the option of Becoming Russia.

That's just crazy! Yes, I can see Rus', Venice and Poland - but Lithuania? Scotland? The Teutonic Order? They weren't even a state! Or a people!

Some of those civs (Egypt, Moors) are not European.

And I would say the Moors weren't a single state, the Cordoba Caliphate, Grenada (the last remaining Islamic state on Iberia that created the Alhambra), the Almoravids and Almohads deserve to be in separately.

Ahem, the Kingdom of Scotland was founded in the Dark Ages after a union of Gaels and Picts and lasted until the first Act of Union.

The High-Kingdom of Ireland was founded around 600-400 BC 9though they didn't really exercise their power until the restoration of the High-Kingship around 200 AD) and the last High-King died in 1198, with various High-Kings occasionaly exerting complete control over the whole island, and sometimes its colonies. Scottish kings even tried once to name themselves High-King and unite Ireland and Scotland in an attempt to crush England. (The last unofficial High-King was the brother of Robert the Bruce)

These two countries existed, the Teutonic Knights can't be considered a civ, as they were an military offshoot of the Holy Roman Empire.

That's just crazy! Yes, I can see Rus', Venice and Poland - but Lithuania? Scotland? The Teutonic Order? They weren't even a state! Or a people!

Some of those civs (Egypt, Moors) are not European.

And I would say the Moors weren't a single state, the Cordoba Caliphate, Grenada (the last remaining Islamic state on Iberia that created the Alhambra), the Almoravids and Almohads deserve to be in separately.

Yes Lituania,Scotland and the Teutonic Order!
Lithuania:
Lithuania was the last of the Pagan Kingdoms in Europe, so it would be nice to see one pagan nation.

Scotland:
Do I have to explain it?

Teutonic Order:
The Teutonic Order was a powerful militay state in the baltic, known for christienising(?) Lithaunia, and still exists today in Vienna, Austria.

As for the Moors, why seperate them?

Top Bottom