Clive01 - Warlords Prince Conquest / Domination

Sir Clive

King
I've been playing Civ IV / Warlords for about a year now and am still struggling to get past Noble level since my warmongering is very weak. I normally play Warlords, Shuffle map, Standard size, Temperate, Medium sea level, Random civ.

I normally end up leading in score until my first major war and then things generally go pear-shaped.

I'll usually recover and struggle to a late spaceship win but I have yet to achieve a conquest / domination win at Noble.

So I would like to play an aggresive succession game in order to improve my warmongering.

I'd welcome any other civvers who are at the same level as me and want to try to improve up to the next level, and any lurkers who would care to offer advice.

Looking for a total of 5 or 6 players including myself

Warlords
Victory - All enabled but MUST win by conquest / domination
Difficulty - Prince
Civ - Spain (Isabella - Expansive / Spiritual, Unit - Conquistador, Building - Citadel,
starts with Fishing and Mysticism, Civic - Police State))
World - Shuffle
Size - Standard
Climate - Temperate
Sea Level - Medium

Roster (provisional)
fbelintani
The Sansman
Sir Clive
Sirloin
negyvenketto
Bede

24hr got it / 48hr play but let's try to have some group discussion before
each turnset !

Greetings, Noble Sir! :D

I'd like to jump into this, if you will have me. It's been a while since I don't have any SG's to play. Standard 24/48?

Well, let me write some thoughts:
- Random Civ is fine, but wouldn't you like to spice things up? Well, let's say using a low-rated civ for war? Egypt or Rome are too much. Our Ice Queen Isabella would be spicy!
- Shuffle map is ok, but if you want war, why don't we play a crowded pangaea map? Let's say.. 10 civs in a standard map? You'd better change to low sea level if you do this BTW.

FB

Welcome fbelintani - you are in !

I'd rather not go first so I'll put myself third in the roster at the moment and you first - we can always switch the order around once we have a full roster.

Yes it is 24 got it / 48 to play. As this is intended to help all participants improve their game we should have a discussion before each turnset.

20 turns first, 15 second , then 10 (possibly down to 5 in the later game if we get into heavy wars)

I would agree with a non aggressive Civ. Isabella sounds good to me - I have not played Spain much. My only domination victory at Warlord level was as France.

Crowded panagaea is an interesting idea. I normally prefer shuffle because I like surprises :) I don't think we'll have any problem getting into wars whatever map we play since we're not going to win by conquest / domination without significant warring.

Let's see what other participants think of this if / when we get some more signups.

Not a sign up but...

You should bump up the difficulty one notch. From experience you should be able to win SGs a level up from where you can win SP games.

If you go Izzy, remember conquistadors rock!

Well I haven't won by conquest / domination at noble yet , only at warlord so it is a level up . But it's a fair point seeing as I have won on spaceship at noble - I'd not be adverse to trying monarch.

I'll change the signup to noble / monarch and we'll decide on difficulty once we have a couple more . If we do try monarch and it gets too tough I guess we can aways re-roll with a noble start.

I'd like to join. I'm a Prince/Monarch player with a good amount of warmongering experience but I've never done a SG and I'd like to get in a few so this seems like a good place to start.

As for difficulty, I would obviously favor a notch (or two) higher than Noble, but I'm happy to play at whatever you choose. If you are comfortable trying on prince or monarch, hopefully I can help out with some guidance that is appropriate to winning on those levels.

changed my mind, i'd make you lose, i'm so bad at going to war early *giggle*. good luck tho!

Well I haven't won by conquest / domination at noble yet , only at warlord so it is a level up . But it's a fair point seeing as I have won on spaceship at noble - I'd not be adverse to trying monarch.

I'll change the signup to noble / monarch and we'll decide on difficulty once we have a couple more . If we do try monarch and it gets too tough I guess we can aways re-roll with a noble start.

Whoops - of course prince is the next level up from noble, not monarch :crazyeye:

Changed signup to noble or prince

The Sansman and Sirloin - you are both very welcome !

I am inclined to go with prince level as that seems to be a happy medium for those who have expressed an interest so far.

One more signup and I will generate a start.

I am still inclined to go with a random start rather than pangaea as I think it makes it a bit more fun but please feel free to persuade me otherwise :)

I will also go with Isabella as suggested by fbelintani.

I've updated the first post to reflect this but am still happy to take any suggestions.

I am not in the habit of re-rolling the start unless we get something hideously bad (i.e huge swathes of ice , tundra or desert as far as the eye can see) so we will go with the first one I generate once we are ready.

I've been playing Civ IV / Warlords for about a year now and am still struggling to get past Noble level since my warmongering is very weak.
My warlords experience is not so long, but I'm in a similar situation as you.
Can I join?

@The Sansman, you are up in TNT1, aren't you?

Sorry for offtopic :mischief:

My warlords experience is not so long, but I'm in a similar situation as you.
Can I join?

Of course negyvenketto - Welcome !

We now have 5 so I will roll a start. We'll take one more if anyone wants to join.

I'll post the start shortly .......

Well met, Sir Clive! What ho, on the Rialto?

If you have room for a Grumpy Old Monk I'd be happy to take the shillin'.

Well met, Sir Clive! What ho, on the Rialto?

If you have room for a Grumpy Old Monk I'd be happy to take the shillin'.

Certainly Bede - good to hear from you !

I've been following a few of your succession games since we last played together on Civ3. Haven't had much time for SGs over the last couple of years but now I have been made redundant and split up with my girlfriend I have a bit more time one my hands :)

Can anyone tell me how I change the thread title from

'Clive01 - Warlords Noble Conquest / Domination'
to
'Clive01 - Warlords Prince Conquest / Domination' ?

Thanks

I think you need a Moderator to do that for you.
Anyway, you can always change the first post caption! :)

So, let's :hammer:

OK - I did say I wouldn't re-roll unless we got something truly dreadful.

What we did get is a lot of grassland and grassland forest :)

What we didn't get are any resources we can use immdiately - all 3 visible are post-calendar resources :(

Here's a screeny and the save.

And here's the save file

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/26914/PrinceTraining_BC-4000.CivWarlordsSave

Hope this works OK - long time since I posted a screeny / save :(

Ok, I'm the first on the roster, so let's try something here....
We don't have any worker techs. And this screenie shows no early "workable" resources. So, we may not need the usual worker building first this time. I'm not at home right now, so I can't play (although I'll be there in about 2 hours). Let's fire some questions:

1- Where do we move our warrior? No obvious moves. We can throw him at the woods to see what's to our east to confirm the settle in place or not.
2- Do we settle in place?
3- After settling, will we pursue an early religion? I usually don't.
4- What's the desired tech path? I favor Mining -> BW.
5- What's the initial build order? I favor Warrior -> Worker. And I must say that whipping workers for a expansive Civ is a MUST! :)

A random note: we can always farm that riverside banana for a 4f0h1c tile until calendar.

Hmm, nothing workable, hopefully there is something out of sight to the east, otherwise we're probably sitting on metal or horses. Lots of grassland is always nice for a capital.

Definitely move the warrior 1E before we plop down in place, but I doubt anything over there would warrant a move.

Religion: In this game, I would recommend going for some religion. As a non-creative civ starting with mysticism, it won't require any special effort to grab one (or more), and it will provide some need culture to our unwashed masses as we expand. Also: if we are going to be dropping the hammer early and often, depriving others of the culture of religion will make grabbing cities a lot easier pre-cats.

Looking a little further down the road, we'll need to tech through the religious lines to get our UU, so thats further reason to at least start here. I realize that spending too much time on religion can be a distraction to early war, but I would still like to grab one.

Build order I usually do worker-warrior, but since we have no worker techs, warrior it is!

I would think settling in place is as good as any as it gives us river , coast and defensive bonus from settling on a hill.

I would probably move the warrior 1 SE first just in case there are any food resources visible to the east.

I'd agree with going BW first and not worrying about a religion at the moment. Normally I would always go for a religion if I start with mysticism but normally I haven't decided what my victory type is going to be at the start. Since we are going for domination / conquest and are therefore going to be doing a lot of warring I think it is essential to find out where iron and copper are ASAP.

Religion will be useful as our cities get bigger since we can build half price temples for happiness which will be handy to counteract war-weariness but we're probably OK without any early on.

Also agree with building warrior first - as you say there is nothing for the worker to do at the moment if we build that first. After that, might be worth building a work boat before the worker to go and do some scouting to the west ?

Can't quite work out which map type we have got - it looks as if we should start fog bustiing to the south for our potential second city site but it would be interesting to know if we have a potential choke point to the north.

Top Bottom