Coca Cola health effects!

El_Machinae said:
Close - soda weakens your teeth for up to 90 minutes after you drink it - which means that if you brush your teeth in this time, you actually rub off some of the enamel. Which means you're permanently ruining your teeth. You're better off letting your enamel reharded for at least 90 minutes before brushing.

I really think that should be common knowledge, because it's not obvious, and it matters.

As well, drinking fructose drinks is hard on your liver and speeds the approach of adult onset diabetes (even if you're not becoming fat). It basically speeds your death and makes it more likely that you'll be fat when you're older (it's not the calories, it's the insulin exposure)

Finally, caffeine might start being bad for your heart in your mid thirties.

Diet coke is a different ball of wax because the Recommended Daily Allowance of Aspartame is not mentioned on the can, and because Aspartame is potentially linked with cancer, even at low doses.

about the waiting thing thats the first time ive ever heard of that and is kinda shocking.

Pop drinks don't do anything good for you. You might as well just stick a couple teaspoons of sugar in your mouth. If you're trying to stick to any sort of strict regimen or athletic training, you'll want to stay away from it. It's like eating chips all the time, it's junk for your body. A lot of people get used to living a sedentary lifestyle and forget they have bodies, eating and drinking all that junk constantly.

Phlegmak said:
By the way, Coca Cola is supposed to be really good at cleaning grease off motors.
Dunno about cleaning engines but Coca Cola has been used in the past to clean the clutch plates of sports cars at the Le Mans 24 Hours race. Changing the clutch wasn't allowed so this was the only way to get oil and other crap off!!

Well, it's not going to be good for you! But there's plenty of worse things that people can, and generally do, consume.

Don't know how cola makes you fat but i can atest to the fact that the acid in it will destroy your teeth and the caffine is addictive.

Irish Caesar said:
Well, it's not going to be good for you! But there's plenty of worse things that people can, and generally do, consume.

Ok, but look at the lifestyle of someone who drinks pop all the time. It can easily become part of a generally unhealthy eating or sedentary lifestyle, from my perspective.

BCLG100 said:
about the waiting thing thats the first time ive ever heard of that and is kinda shocking.

That's why I'm irritated that it isn't common knowledge. I brushed my teeth after soda for a couple years (thinking I was preventing tooth decay). Boy was I pissed.

Just remember this data, and pass it on to people.

Its potentially linked with cancer in lab animals. However i dont know of any case of a person getting cancer from diet sodas yet.

Exactly how are we going to prove it in people? There's no way to do it in a laboratory. With cancer rates rising, we cannot easily determine the causes

CIVPhilzilla said:

You'll note that all your references are over 5-6 years old. Since then, we've had more data.

pubmed (it's where biology journals are referenced)

This study was from 2006 (so, they had much, much more data to work with than 5 years ago).

The results of this mega-experiment indicate that aspartame is a multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg body weight, much less than the current acceptable daily intake

Sugar adds calories and desensitizes you to insulin (leading to long-term weight issues, even if you don't get fat right away)

El_Machinae said:
That's why I'm irritated that it isn't common knowledge. I brushed my teeth after soda for a couple years (thinking I was preventing tooth decay). Boy was I pissed.

Just remember this data, and pass it on to people.

yer well i will, take it applys to all types of fizzy drinks not just coke?

Rhye said:
I used to drink a lot of coke. After hearing possible health effects and having felt stomachache a couple of times, i completely replaced it with other drinks (usually beer)

You need that caffeine to stay awake while making Rhye's of Civilization. Or while just programming. Remember: Do the Dew. I do.

Cons: It's acidity is extremely high which greatly weakens the enamel on your teeth, and then the flavor syrup and sugar takes advantage of the weakened enamel to launch a cavity causing assault on your teeth. But you can slow this from happening by rinsing the syrup out of your mouth after you drink it.

It also promotes the formation of ulcers do to its acidity eating through the mucus membranes in your stomach (but this is a usually rare occurance).

Pros: A little bit of caffeine in your diet is helpful, it can give you a burst of energy (through a lengthy process).

That process: You drink a caffeinated beverage, the caffeine is absorbed, it binds with receptors in the brain, exciting them and causing those nerves to fire more frequently (which explains why it helps with the diseases I listed below). You pituitary gland, however, percieves this flurry of neural activity as that you are in some kind of danger (because a similar reaction happens when you're scared, fight or flight thing), and it tells the adrenal glands to release adrenaline into your blood stream, increasing heart rate, breathing rate, (adrenaline is to muscles, as meth is to a meth addict, they love it). which can aid you in your "fight or flight".

Also, that little bit of caffeine can help prevent or slow the growth of brain deterriorating diseases (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc).

This is all I can think of at the moment. No I'm not a neurologist, endocrinologist, or any other 'ologist I may have neglected to mention. Though you probably could call me a caffeinologist.

I can't drink more than 1 smallish glass of coca cola/pepsi/whatever because my liver starts acting up if i do. (alcohol doesn't seem to affect it though:))

Bartleby said:
If you leave a tooth in a glass of coke overnight, it will dissolve!!
It's true!!!1!
Wasn't this tested by the Mythbusters on Discovery ? I don't remember clearly but i think the result was that it doesn't dissolve the tooth, but it does atack it slightly and stain it in an ugly way.

Chukchi Husky said:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/

I read somewhere that Aspartame can cause weight gain.
There is this theory that when you drink for example Diet Coke with aspartame, the body detects that it tastes sweet, and the brain automatically translates sweet taste to "calories are on the way". Hence your metabolism rate is increased for a little while to handle the incoming calories. But since there are no calories in the soda, the body is "fooled" (hey, where did those calories go? I demand calories!!), and responds by making you feel more hungry than you really are, and you'll eat more.. At least something like that.. I guess it kinda makes sense, really.

Coca Cola triggers a virulent do-good impulse in petty little minds. This effect has only recently been discovered, but it is believed to be of a symilar order of intensity to the impulse caused by fat, cholesterol or tobacco in the said tortured intellects. Do-gooderness (or the "How could you not care about the children?" syndrome) has been spreading like a virus in the recent past, so government scientists have called for increased subsidies and grants for the research of this phenomenon.

Heretic_Cata said:
I can't drink more than 1 smallish glass of coca cola/pepsi/whatever because my liver starts acting up if i do. (alcohol doesn't seem to affect it though:))

Wasn't this tested by the Mythbusters on Discovery ? I don't remember clearly but i think the result was that it doesn't dissolve the tooth, but it does atack it slightly and stain it in an ugly way.

Hm..you can try it with a nail, too i think. You can put a rusty metal, too.

Coca Cola is poison in my oppinion. It ruins your liver, stomach and every other part of your body from where it goes.
It's also a drug. You got addicted to it.

Heretic_Cata said:

Probably. I'm afraid I was being facetious.

Top Bottom